Hard-VS-Soft - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Hard-VS-Soft

What is better, (for you)?

Received my new Versys last week and love it. The decision to buy the Versys has almost been easier than than process to decide on luggage. I have allocated funds for the purchase of the hard Kawi or Givi cases but the rack mounts have me hedging. They sound like a pain in the ass for a person(me) that would only use them maybe every 3 or 4 weeks for a overnighter and would remove them for everyday riding. I know the hard cases are superior to soft for obvious reasons but is there any real bad downside to the soft luggage? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 05:53 PM

check out the removable brackets for hard luggage too http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3697/652/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 06:00 PM

I just installed a set of Givi 21s. They're Really small and in no way interfere with the passenger, or make the bike wider. I'll get some pics in a bit. I might have chosen the 35 liter bags had I seen the 21s up close, they're really compact, but I want permanent storage on the bike. The 21s hold a sixer on each side with room to spare, or 2 gallons of milk on each side with some room on top.

The quality and sturdiness of the rack is great, but the rear blinkers need to be moved and it leaves the back of the blinker and the wiring exposed.

They're VERY easy to remove, as in like a second for each side, so you don't need to worry about any hassle if you won't need them on your bike 24/7. I've never used soft bags, but I've got to imagine they would take a bit longer to setup and remove (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Luke

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 06:31 AM

The main advantage to the hard case that I have found is that I can lock all of my gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, GPS) in the case and leave it with the bike. Most of the hard top cases seem to pop on and off pretty easily. I also like having the extra brake lights in my Givi E52 top case.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:05 AM

Actually, the soft luggage takes longer to put on and take off. You have to buckle, strap or bungee it into place. They are less secure than hard luggage - just slice off the straps and take the whole bag. I've had both the soft and hard luggage. I'm much happier with the hard luggage. The best part is removing and installing the bags - it's literally a snap. I'm more confident that my stuff will be there when I get back to the bike.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:24 AM

I too struggled with this question for some time. What led me to choosing the soft luggage was:
-price
-lack of availability of hard cases and hardware
-appearance of bike when luggage was not on
-usage ( only really need at most once every for weeks)
-capacity

After I had finally decided on the Givi combo. I was told by my dealer that the would not have all the parts in till Sept. The cost was pushing $650 just for the side cases and rack. The rack mount did seem convenient for mounting / dismounting and lock the cases, but detracted from the appearance of the bike when the cases were not in use. Two clear advantages of the hard cases are: locking and waterproof.

After all this I decided to go with
http://www.motopakluggage.com/gts90.html

I was a little worried about the stability and security before I actually tried them out. After using them on a 500KM trip, I was convinced that they were great. To be honest, it did not even feel like I had anything strapped to the bike and kept putting my hand back there to confirm they were still strapped on while travelling at at 160 KM/hr. Putting them on and taking them off is a cinch. Just snap 4 buckles. I got the large bags and was concerned about having to relocate the rear indicator lights... this was not necessary. This size allowed me to carry:
-17" laptop
-2 pairs of shoes
-2 pairs pants plus 1 travel nylon zip-off pants
-toiletries kit
and enough shirts shorts, socks and underwear for 6 days.

plus some tools

and this was without even fully expaning them.

Hope this helps. Either way, enjoy the ride.

Cheers,
Colin
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 03:47 PM

After my Versys gets here tomorrow (!!!) I plan to go with the Givi E52 Maxia topcase since it is the largest I've seen and will hold all my protective gear safely under lock and key when I get where I'm going. I need to split lanes on the freeway twice a week so no side boxes.

Doug

2008 Versys
2008 Yamaha Vino 125
1980 Honda Z50 (2)
1970 Suzuki 250 Savage
1973 Suzuki TM-125
1973 Honda QA50
1970 Honda NC50 MiniTrail
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 04:41 PM

Congrats on your new V and welcome! You will enjoy the E52! I have one and it is nice to have all that space. I can drop my backpack with laptop and shoes in it on the way to work, then store all my gear in it while I am at work. Get the brake light kit...it really makes your brake lights more visible from the rear. I think you need the Givi mounting bracket to use the brake light kit, but it is painless to pop the case on and off without having to mess with any plugs.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 06:10 PM

That's funny you mentioned it, I am getting the brake light kit and something called the "reflectivity kit" from twistedthrottle that places 3M material behind the red plastic so that headlights really do reflect off it. I am considering having a fabricator modify the Givi bracket to bring the box forward somewhat since I don't ride two up. I really do hate to bring this up, but do you have any qualms about your laptop in the box and then having the box go flying down the freeway? I spent $3K on the mac and I would really hate to lose it that way, as well as all my photos and stuff.

Doug

2008 Versys
2008 Yamaha Vino 125
1980 Honda Z50 (2)
1970 Suzuki 250 Savage
1973 Suzuki TM-125
1973 Honda QA50
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 06:19 PM

I will have to look at the reflectivity kit. The case seems to be very secure. As long as it is properly secured I don't see that ever being a problem. I have never been concerned about it coming off. I even had an off last week doing about 5 mph with it on the back with no issues.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. I have decided to go with SW-Motech and GiviV35.

Now i go into garage to install a muffler i got from Versys08.

thanks again.......
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 06:37 PM

This makes it their LED kit look SUPER bright! Note that this is different than the brake light kit that comes from Givi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8DONs8aEOM

Doug

2008 Versys
2008 Yamaha Vino 125
1980 Honda Z50 (2)
1970 Suzuki 250 Savage
1973 Suzuki TM-125
1973 Honda QA50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode