Sena smh5 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stoley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sena smh5

I just picked one of these up today off of craigslist for 50 bucks slightly used. Installed it in my RF1000 and took the bike out for a spin all I can say is WOW! Why didn't I buy one of these things years ago? I use foam earplugs with it it worked awesome, i'm done with earbuds and wires.
weljo2001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 09:49 PM

Cool I just started looking into these as well. Now let's see if I can get a $50 deal too.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Cool I just started looking into these as well. Now let's see if I can get a $50 deal too.

Not $50.00 but.......SENA SMH-10R NEW - TWT Forums

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:53 AM

You could also consider the Sena 3s series, retails at 90.00
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

The SMH5 is on Amazon for $96
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 03:18 PM

I'm a big fan of the Sena. The communicator makes ride days with the friends more fun. It's nice to say, "Hey, I'm thirsty. Let's pull into that mini mart ahead.". Of course listening to music is great. The best of all is pairing with a smartphone with voice command function like Cortana or Siri. I can tell my phone to play a different playlist, or I can dictate and send a text handsfree. If I get a return text, the figgin' phone reads it to me...while I'm riding!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 03:28 PM

I have had my pair of SMH10 now for over 2 1/2 years.bought them used for $175. They both work great. My second unit I use on friends helmets when I go on long rides with them. I have let at least 7 friends use it and all 7 have bought a sena shortly after using mine.
Picture of me and 2 friends that both have bought a unit after using mine
Units in photo mine SMH10, 20S, SMH10R
The Fjo9 was another motorcyclist we meet right before the ferry

Soon I will update to the new 20 much farther range between units.
The built in radio is nice as well when you have listened to everything on your phone. Also great when you want to know local weather.

Last edited by Motojunkee; 11-15-2015 at 03:32 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 04:54 PM

Garage
These fit under helmet well? I guess I'm new to the riding headset scene. How does it keep from picking up the wind noise (perhaps I need a quieter helmet)

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stversys View Post
These fit under helmet well? I guess I'm new to the riding headset scene. How does it keep from picking up the wind noise (perhaps I need a quieter helmet)

My Scala G9 on my old helmet...

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

On the new helmet...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 08:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stversys View Post
Yes. The only part you see is the main communication module which sits on the left side of your helmet. I can answer the phone at 75mph and the caller has no idea I am on my motorcycle. I can also dictate a text and send by just pushing one button on the module, or answer an incoming call if needed.

Listening to music or using waze, etc. works great. Depending on wind and buffeting, I do get false 'voice activation' every once in a while. Not really an issue, just a minor irritant.

Great for group rides also, in addition to basic BSing with your pals, the lead bike can call out risks, etc.

'09 Versys
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 10:47 AM

I just put the Sena SMH5-FM in my new Shoei Neotec. Very impressed so far. The mic (without foam deadcat) works very well and is out of the way. Google voice functions work 90% of the time, and the sound is decent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode