Bike padded pants for long rides - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Bike padded pants for long rides

Today I picked up shorts for bike riders with the seat padding this way I could use them for long distance riding.

Went for a short ride today to try them and they felt good. I'll see how they do on all day rides soon.

Read that a decent amount of people have used them with success.

Anyone here try them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 10:41 PM

Let us know after the long trip, thought about trying a pair my self, just hadn't ran across a pair yet.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Jen

Some of the guys on my Yellowstone trip a couple weeks ago picked some up on our last day (day 4). They now swear by them. We were only doing approximately 300 - 350 mile days, but they still said the padded shorts helped and they'll use them on future trips. I have some padded bike shorts already, and am going to take them along on our next trip over Labor Day (Sept 1).

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 12:48 PM

They can be confining for your "boys" if you keep them on too long.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 01:36 PM

just look at Lance armstrong

Working to make it my Streetfighter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 01:53 PM

I used Aerostich padded shorts on a two-day 1200-mile ride last summer on a bike that was less comfortable than the Verys. The shorts worked a charm. I put in nearly 700 miles the first day with no hint of the dreaded monkey butt.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 04:48 PM

I haven't tried these, but here's another option:
https://ldcomfort.com/index.html
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 09:12 PM

I've used bike shorts a few times (I don't often take really long rides) and they've really helped. But if you're going to try them, don't spend a lot of money on them. The bicycle companies have them for under $20.

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?s...at%3A%20Shorts

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Wow, those are good prices. Mine cost me $55 at REI, but they came with shorts too. Many brands were over $70.

Mail order makes me uncomfortable because I have to try them on first to see how they truly fit. Several that were my size did not feel right until I found that one pair. So I guess when you figure in shipping and possibly shipping them back because of fit, it's a gamble.

I have a long ride coming up soon and see how they work out. Sounds like people have had success with them in this thread and that's good.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 02:39 PM

I have used the LC Comfort shorts for the last 3 years. Excellent for long trips!!!

Bill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Today I left at the crack of dawn and put on over 850 miles. The bike pants "helped" but I still wanted to get off the saddle.

I even reworked my seat with memory foam which is nicer than what I had, but guess I'll have to keep on experimenting.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 07:22 AM

As an avid bicyclist I have always had high quality shorts around. Besides bicycling, I used them initially for racing long off-road motorcycle races, particularly woods races where you are sitting a lot. In these type of races you can get wicked monkey-butt. When I started doing 500+ mile days on a road bike, the shorts became an essential part of the kit. I recently rode a 500 mile day with some Pearl Izumi shorts, and an Alaska Leather sheepskin cover and a stock seat. I was totally fine for the whole way, but always glad to stop and get gas. I highly recommend trying bicycling shorts if your doing any all day riding.

Regards,
Wardo

2008 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Vespa GT 200
2001 Honda Elite 80 (daughters scooter)
2006 Yamaha YZ 155- Playbike
2006 Yamaha YZ 285- (plated) race bike
2006 Yamaha YZ 450F - my dez bike (lives in Vegas)
2008 Gas Gas 250 Raga Replica
2004 Honda CRF 150F (daughters bike)
2006 BMW 1150 GS Adventure (sold)
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docteric View Post
I've used bike shorts a few times (I don't often take really long rides) and they've really helped. But if you're going to try them, don't spend a lot of money on them. The bicycle companies have them for under $20.

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?s...at%3A%20Shorts
Thanks for the link....Ill give it try. Anything to releive the monket butt.
Besides the prices are great!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

For the record, I gave up on the bicycle pants and got a store credit. As I said in another subject thread, the bike pants didn't give enough "room".

What drastically helped is when I took a camping air pillow and put it in my seat with just enough air to keep me off the foam below. Since I trimmed the foam, the air pillow does not add to the height. I was comfortable the whole 1000 mile plus ride home, with no bike pants.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
For the record, I gave up on the bicycle pants and got a store credit. As I said in another subject thread, the bike pants didn't give enough "room".

What drastically helped is when I took a camping air pillow and put it in my seat with just enough air to keep me off the foam below. Since I trimmed the foam, the air pillow does not add to the height. I was comfortable the whole 1000 mile plus ride home, with no bike pants.
So....do think an Airbob seat would be the answer?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnail View Post
So....do think an Airbob seat would be the answer?
Ever since I put it in my seat it has stayed that way. It works very well for me. What's also nice is that it is cheap.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 09:20 PM

I bought a pair of compression pants at the local dirtbike store a few years ago for about $30. I think they make a big difference - especially on long rides.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Time to revive this thread. I've been doing longer trips lately & the seat is about to do me in. Anyone still using bike shorts? I've seen them range anywhere from $20 to over $120 for a pair. Are the higher priced shorts really that much better? Am I waisting (pun & mispelling intended!!) my time on shorts? I don't want to modify my stock seat like ATGATT did (although he seems happy from the above post), & I don't have the cash for an after market seat at the moment.

How about it, what are you medium to long distance guys doing for comfort??

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Time to revive this thread. I've been doing longer trips lately & the seat is about to do me in. Anyone still using bike shorts? I've seen them range anywhere from $20 to over $120 for a pair. Are the higher priced shorts really that much better? Am I waisting (pun & mispelling intended!!) my time on shorts? I don't want to modify my stock seat like ATGATT did (although he seems happy from the above post), & I don't have the cash for an after market seat at the moment.

How about it, what are you medium to long distance guys doing for comfort??

Well, here is my input.... I bought a pair of cheap shorts from nashbar, $20 I think, holy smokes! yes, 2-3 hrs no prob now. But I think the butt can only take so much.I only wear this on trips of 100 miles or more per day.
I see JC Whitney has gel pads that you can cut to put under your seat cover, I would carve out the seat to put in the Gel pad. So it wont look like a bunch under the cover. Like I said, I have considered it.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 07:29 PM

PJ's!

Well now that it is cooling down... I wear cushy pants under my riding pants... like pajama pants, or running pants... just so that I stay a bit warmer, and the extra butt cushoning you get with a thick pair helps quite a bit...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode