Faceshields - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Faceshields

I am getting ready to order a replacement and was thinking something other than clear would be fun. However, I am uncertain if the shields with metallic coatings are clear from the inside. Shield needs to be usable day and night. Thanks.

PS> Helmet is HJC IS-MAX II.

Thanks!

Last edited by blazblu82; 10-25-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Here in Australia any tinted face sheild is illegal to use at night.

that being said...

I have a Shark Vision R with a internal flip visor.
Standard internal visor a med tint... it was good... but I swapped it for a silver iridium and it is soooo much better. you can really feel the difference when down as your face doesnt get burnt from the sun. the med tint really did not protect that way.

So I ride with sunglasses and use the internal shield for extra protection as well.
bgw likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

My helmet has a built in visor as is. I was just looking for something other than clear to use if I could.

EDIT: I found my answer reading some reviews. I'll be getting the clear one.

Last edited by blazblu82; 10-25-2015 at 08:30 PM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 08:52 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
my shild is tinted, sucks come night time but great in the day

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 09:35 PM

Last edited by CamBkm; 11-30-2015 at 04:52 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
...However, I am uncertain if the shields with metallic coatings are clear from the inside....
From a friend who had one of the "metallic" coated visors - expensive, and easily scratched!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 05:07 PM

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 05:59 PM

I don't know if you do any riding under 40ish degrees but If you do I would suggest getting a pin-lock ready shield.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:17 PM

I have a light smoke, dark smoke, yellow and orange for my Shoei Neotec. I don't use either of the smoke ones any more but I like the yellow and orange when it's overcast.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:17 PM

Garage
I bought a mirror shield on ny first helmet. It scratched VERY easy, and the scratches in the mirror reflect light very oddly, to the point of possible distraction.
I now buy dark smoke shields for my motorcycle and ski goggles. They cost less, look cool, and don't scratch as easy(I can scratch a ski goggle very easy bashing through the trees).

I have now started buying helmets with a drop down visor. This gives me the tint, but don't need to swap shields at sunset.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:22 PM

I think you already have your answer but I too use an internal flip down shield. Scorpion EXO-T1200...my second flip down shield. I don't have the patience (did I use the correct one?) for changing and won't get caught out at night with a dark one...

Sunglasses under the helmet 1) limit my peripheral vision and 2)can be dangerous in a crash
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I don't know if you do any riding under 40ish degrees but If you do I would suggest getting a pin-lock ready shield.
The shield I am replacingis pin lock ready. No idea what pin lick is, though.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamBkm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
From a friend who had one of the "metallic" coated visors - expensive, and easily scratched!

From someone who has recently had/used one... +1 ^ Not only that, but they are far from clear. Mild tint. Enough so they are dangerous in the dark.
The wife used it for a bit, she said it made her feel like "speed racer" lol
Seconded. The metallics look awesome, but scratch super easy.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Pinloc is a internally replacable film that clip to the inside of the External visor.
It turns the visor into a double glazed visor which is designed to remove fogging.

What I have been told is...
Helmet Visors without Pinloc have coating on the inside to help reduce fogging.
Helmet Visors that are Pinloc do not have these coating ... so that you have to use Pinloc to get anti-fogging.

Pinloc films can be expensive.

I really love my internal visor. I upgraded it from a med tint to a silver iridium one and for the last year had no issues with it scratching or being dirty.
I would choose a helmet with an internal visor over one without.
Flick it nearly all the down or half way just to give me enough protection in a low sun so that I can still see the instruments.

The only thing that might annoy some is that there is a tiny bit of ghosting from using a mirrored internal shield from reflections that you see bouncing from the mirror into the visor... It does not bother me and I don't see them much now.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:26 AM

I refuse to buy a helmet without the internal visor now.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:44 AM

Garage
I have had this mirror shield on my AFX fx39 helmet for about 3 years now. It looks great, has held up well (one small scratch when I got careless) but it is too dark to use at night.

My preferred choice is my AFX fx41 or before that my HJC IS16 with drop down internal tinted visors. I commute a lot on shift work where one of the trips is often in the dark.

Always trust your cape.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:17 AM

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 10:58 AM

I use Shoei sliver mirror shield. It reflects uv and microwaves and your eyes just feel more relaxed IMMEDIATELY. The silver is a light tint so night driving is not bad.

And I just put a 100% uv tint strip someone suggested here, and now it is perfect. Always get the more expensive factory visors: the fit is the difference between ear rattling and (more) quiet. I just replaced mine, and it's like a new Shoei 1100 helmet.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Pinloc is a internally replacable film that clip to the inside of the External visor.
It turns the visor into a double glazed visor which is designed to remove fogging.

What I have been told is...
Helmet Visors without Pinloc have coating on the inside to help reduce fogging.
Helmet Visors that are Pinloc do not have these coating ... so that you have to use Pinloc to get anti-fogging.

Pinloc films can be expensive.
Pinlock shields are awesome! I have owned several regular shields that say how awesome their anti fog coating is, but they are lacking personally....
Pinlock shields are different. A typical helmet shield is a few millimeters thick of solid plastic. A pinlock starts out like that, but then goes and installs a softer bendable sheet of plastic to the inside of the originall shield. There is a small gap between the outside visor and the added pinlock. This has the effect of keeping the warm air by your face seperated from the cold air outside the helmet(like a double pain window in a house).
When I pull the shield closed, and breath very heavy inside my helmet, it will fog around the perimeter, but stays clear where the pinlock is located.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 05:46 AM

there are also non-pinlock inserts that do the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode