2Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Pants

I am looking for a pair of riding pants that will provide some road rash protection, but are not too warm and will fit over shorts. I like to ride my bike to play disc golf. I wear shorts to play disc golf but do not want to ride my bike in shorts.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
fourcerider

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorg67 View Post
I am looking for a pair of riding pants that will provide some road rash protection, but are not too warm and will fit over shorts. I like to ride my bike to play disc golf. I wear shorts to play disc golf but do not want to ride my bike in shorts.

Suggestions?
My advice is buy good gear and you will be a lot more satisfied and comfortable and as a result you'll wear it a lot more, plus it will usually last a lot longer.

Motorcycle jeans are more of a supplement to motorcycle pants than a replacement for them. They are nice to have in warm weather but do not work in cool weather or over shorts.

Revit Sand 2 is excellent for money vs features and quality as is Olympia MotoQuest, what I have. Also anything Dainese makes is usually excellent. Avoid pants that are really baggy as they won't be as abrasion proof as armor won't stay in place. Textile pants with insulation underneath are really nice in cold weather too. In my experience zippers up the outside of the leg never get used. I put them on like any other pants.

Jim Nazium likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-30-2015 at 04:01 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 10:55 AM

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm very happy with Draggin' Jeans. They have kevlar reinforcement and you can add armor in the knees and hips. I think they run about $180. You could buy one size up from what you'd normally wear and they would fit over your shorts. Or you could get correct sized jeans and then quickly change at your destination into shorts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:32 AM

the sliders brand has some decent stuff at a reasonable price competition accessories carries them -
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:46 PM

Garage
I wear Tourmaster Venture Air overpants, and they are extremely convenient. Side zips go up higher than your knee, can have them off in about a minute without removing your shoes. They have knee and hip pads, heavier cordora in knees and butt, and come with an insulated liner and a rain liner also. I've had them for years, and they've help up very well. Just starting to get some pilling on the mesh, but no complaints considering their price point and how many times I've taken them on and off. I commute all summer in them.

That said, I've never felt comfortable wearing shorts under a polyester based mesh pant, for fear of it melting into my skin in a slide. I wear some type of cotton layer underneath, and hope for the best. Plenty of other people wear shorts under them, so I suppose it depends on your risk tolerance. I think they make a version that isn't mesh too, so if you don't mind being a little warm, thats an option. In my opinion the key with overpants is that they are easy to take on and off without needing to take your boots/shoes off.....these are great in that regard.

If money is no object, Motoport kevlar mesh overpants would be my choice. I would feel comfortable wearing those over shorts.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tourmaster Venture Air overpants!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkovo View Post
I wear Tourmaster Venture Air overpants, and they are extremely convenient. Side zips go up higher than your knee, can have them off in about a minute without removing your shoes. They have knee and hip pads, heavier cordora in knees and butt, and come with an insulated liner and a rain liner also. I've had them for years, and they've help up very well. Just starting to get some pilling on the mesh, but no complaints considering their price point and how many times I've taken them on and off. I commute all summer in them....
EXACTLY what I was about to suggest. I wear cotton shorts under mine, and I would buy another pair for AZ....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I wear Tourmaster Venture Air overpants, and they are extremely convenient. Side zips go up higher than your knee, can have them off in about a minute without removing your shoes. They have knee and hip pads, heavier cordora in knees and butt, and come with an insulated liner and a rain liner also. I've had them for years, and they've help up very well. Just starting to get some pilling on the mesh, but no complaints considering their price point and how many times I've taken them on and off. I commute all summer in them.

That said, I've never felt comfortable wearing shorts under a polyester based mesh pant, for fear of it melting into my skin in a slide. I wear some type of cotton layer underneath, and hope for the best. Plenty of other people wear shorts under them, so I suppose it depends on your risk tolerance. I think they make a version that isn't mesh too, so if you don't mind being a little warm, thats an option. In my opinion the key with overpants is that they are easy to take on and off without needing to take your boots/shoes off.....these are great in that regard.

If money is no object, Motoport kevlar mesh overpants would be my choice. I would feel comfortable wearing those over shorts.
Yes, the motosport look really nice, but a bit pricey.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Just got an e-mail on these.......FirstGear TPG Escape Pants - 2014 :: MotorcycleGear.com

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I just ordered a pair! Let's hope they live up to the hype. You can't beat the price.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
I just ordered a pair! Let's hope they live up to the hype. You can't beat the price.

I've never had First Gear pants but the jackets and luggage i've bought were top notch...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I wear Tourmaster Venture Air overpants ... I commute all summer in them.
So they breathe well in hot weather?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 10:34 PM

I've been wearing the Firstgear TPG pants for a couple of years...They're great in the fall..winter and spring...summer not so much...They have vents..but I got to tell you..next summer I'm getting something else to wear in the pants department...that MotorcycleGear deal is a good deal..I'm almost tempted to get a new pair...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nazium View Post
So they breathe well in hot weather?
MINE do!
Jim Nazium likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
My advice is buy good gear and you will be a lot more satisfied and comfortable and as a result you'll wear it a lot more, plus it will usually last a lot longer.
I think that's good advice. I was a long-distance bicyclist for many years, and I learned that having the right clothing, shoes, gloves, etc really made a big difference in my enjoyment of riding. You could be on the most beautiful road in the world, but if you're cold, wet, and getting chafed in the nether regions, you're not having a fun ride. I'd usually recommend new bicyclists downgrade the bike they want to buy to leave more money available for gear.

I'm still pretty new to motorcycles, but I imagine the same applies.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 01:57 PM

Garage
The usefulness of over pants is a bit of a myth in my opinion. Motorcycle pants over jeans feels uncomfortable and restrictive and is too hot to wear in moderate to hot temperatures. They also need to be ridiculously baggy and large to fit over bulky jeans. Instead I prefer tighter fitting motorcycle pants, that have a more tailored fit, that better hold the armor in place and I can wear either over briefs, shorts or - stretchy fleece pants in cooler weather. Also wearing jeans under motorcycle pants defeats the benefit of vents as it prevents cool air from reaching you.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-03-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode