Intercom helmet mounting - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Intercom helmet mounting

Looking at getting a bike to bike intercom for the girlfriend and I. Any one familiar with how these things mount to the helmet? (I have been looking at Chatterbox and blueant) Is it just velco or a clip? can't find this anywhere online it only says "helmet mount included."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 12:10 PM

I've only experience with the Chatterbox. It mounts with a two part clip. The helmet mount is like a clamp that is slipped over the lower edge of the helmet and the clamp is tightened with two screws and nuts. The Unit slips into the the helmet mount and clicks in place. One handed operation to connect or dis-connect. Speakers and mic mount inside and connect with one cable. There is no affect on the riding with the unit mounted on the side of the helmet.

I've had two different versions of the Chatterbox, and truthfully, they perform fairly well when they work. A little tricky to set up the VOX as it has no auto-function and requires you to adjust to suit noise levels. They did come with Push To Talk buttons that always worked.

The last model I purchased was the HJC-FRS Multisport. In my opinion construction was cheap/shoddy. Performance was less than advertised. Warranty service was minimal and their desire to assist was compromised by their lack of communications with me or my riding partners. We finally tossed them into the trash, at $250 a pop and called it a day.

Good luck on finding the comm sets you desire.

Red
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

thank you for your help very much appriciated

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:11 PM

Here, this might help:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...h-intercom.htm

Been looking at these as well.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 03:38 PM

I have the Blueant system. It is a bluetooth connection to my cell phone. It is crystal clear up to 70mph. There is a peel and stick bracket for the transmitter on the outside of the helmet and a velcro patch for the microphone and earpiece inside the helmet. Might be the easiest thing that I have ever set up with a cell phone. When it rings in you ear you say hello and it connects. It will automatically disconnect when the conversation is over and will autodial with the push of a button and you say the name or number of who you want to call.
Also works as an intercom out to about 450'.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 03:43 PM

I also have the Blueant system and as Bicyclebob said it works great and easy to setup. I did not use the sticker for the bracket, but used the clip which attaches to the side of the helmet if you can remove the liner and you can then pass you wires under your padding. I use it for the Cell, bike to bike and GPS. Easy to switch from one to the other and battery life is pretty good.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 12:21 AM

I have not experienced chatterbox, but have used scala Q2 and blueant intercom F4.

scala is nice product. The blueant disconnects from the friend when she gets more than 400 m behind and it doesn't reconnect apparently the scala system will still reconnect and battery life lasts a hell of a lot longer.

also above 65-70, my blueant F4 starts annoying noices, so it becomes impossible for me to enjoy music or stay connected withl riders. Its just a useless device for me. so I would recommend scala to every one.

Last edited by olper; 03-19-2010 at 03:48 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 03:20 PM

I use the Blueant for communication to other bikes. It does indeed sound crystal clear up to 70mph or so and then it gets a bit tougher to hear.

It clips with a little plastic bracket to the bottom of your helmet (works just fine on my Shoei and Scorpion helmets). Comes off very quickly/easily too, but stays put while riding.

I know this is an ancient thread, but the Blueant system is really clear, compact, and has excellent battery life.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 03:13 AM

@ remmy
lucky you. blueant doesnot work for me too. I have pairing problem (f4 with zumo). I contacted zumo team and they said its because of blueant interphone f4. When I went to return this product (the interphone F4) Blueant were a nightmare to deal with.. also I connected my friend's scala with my zumo, and that worked really very fine. I also read some forum replies on other forums, and found that it is the common problem with most of blueant+ zumo users. I wouldn't recommend blueant to any one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode