Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 Perforated Leather jacket - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

1Likes
  • 1 Post By kawdog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 Perforated Leather jacket

Well, even though my $149.99 new leather jacket has vents all over it, when 100 degrees F Sun is beating down on you and you stop rolling, you are looking for AC and to take that jacket off! Even with my textile or mesh jacket, it is still no picnic in 100 degrees. I really need a perforated leather jacket since it reaches 90 F most of the year once a day, even though it gets cool in the mornings.

As a big man, I got a Joe Rocket 5x to be sure, like my mesh and textile jackets. I paid more for this perforated leather than all three of my other jackets by $100. Due to getting a big size (+$15) and Chaparral is in CA (+$25), my total perforated leather jacket was $358: but now I know how those big shaggy dogs feel in the Summer - it sucks.

Generally, you have to pay near $600 to get a perforated leather coat that does not fall apart like many of the $300 hybrids do (ie Speed and Strength.) As well, 90% of the jackets are made 3 to 5 sizes too small. I tried them on at 2 shops today, and one time, I felt like those Chinese finger handcuffs on my wrists (thank goodness an employee was standing there to help me.)

The Joe Rocket jacket isn't perfect, but it is quality, it's all leather (not a $300 hybrid ready to fall apart), and it will last a long time (and it will fit a big boy - Chaparral was the ONLY one I could find with a 5xl size for this model.) Although I fit in a 2xl in the Speed & Strength, it was unusually large for Chinese goods. I really liked the fit, but it was starting to fray sitting on the retail floor, so after reading the same thing from other users, I had to go back to the safety of Joe Rocket.

Here's a couple of links for anyone living in So CA anyway to help you figure sizing/models of Joe Rocket Perforated Sonic 2.0 jackets and a good vendor who has all sizes and pics on their site. Perforated leather jackets is a whole another game, and $300 is a great deal for a perforated jacket that will fit, all cow leather, last a half dozen years at least, and not fall apart. I only found ONE jacket that fit today, and it was already falling apart on the sales floor - seams, stitching, ... (which included all those TINY $600 to $995 jackets.)

Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 Perforated Leather Jacket - Chaparral Motorsports

http://joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/234/109/Leather_Jackets/Sonic_2.0_[Leather]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 01:18 PM
djg

Sounds like you're right on the edge of off the rack sizes. I am a perfect extra large tall, but Vanson did not see it that way and quoted me a very high price for custom fit textile and leather jacket and pants. The Super Moto jacket and pants. Already too expensive.

Last edited by djg; 08-31-2015 at 01:24 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Sounds like you're right on the edge of off the rack sizes. I am a perfect extra large tall, but Vanson did not see it that way and quoted me a very high price for custom fit textile and leather jacket and pants. The Super Moto jacket and pants. Already too expensive.
For the big guys, Joe Rocket rocks! And they are the cheapest too. It's all about material margins per piece, so the smaller clothes sit in stores forever. But Joe Rocket jackets fly off the shelves. Only one retailer had the big size (it's either big size or tall size, not both - that's still better than nothing.) Yeah, I would have liked 3 more inches on my jacket length, but I'm just glad to get one at all.

My new heavy leather jacket feels like 150 more cc with the jet stream reduced. I guess I was too busy optimizing on the 50 and 60 dollar Joe Rocket textile and mesh jackets to notice before, ha ha.

I've already got my UV/waterproof 303 sealant and saddle soap on the way so I can get maybe 10 years or more out of my 2 new leather jackets

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Yeah Baby! Got it in tonight, and it feels like a $400 softball glove leather. It has all the removable pads too.

It is heavier than the Speed and Strength hybrid leather/textile jacket (that tears easily), so it seems like it will be more comfortable in cool CA days too, as well as warm days with the perforated leather.

It's made in Viet Nam which was surprising, but it is DELUXE. It's not like it's not baby sit by Joe Rocket and a big opportunity for Viet Nam. I may could have gone down to a 3X plus or minus one X size; so since I live 60 miles away from Chaparral's store, I'll have to go and get the proper fitting jacket I'm just glad it's getting cooler so I can wear the hd leather jacket until then. But I love the Joe Rocket perforated jacket and just want it sized correctly (I'm also glad they are near!!)

O/W, if I ride with it, it's mine wrong size or not (I'm thinking 2x or 3x may work - ?)
There is a lot more rack space left for me with Joe Rocket jackets, lol.

Last edited by kawdog; 09-03-2015 at 01:56 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Well I measured the oversize in the waist - 14 inches!

And after spending over 2 hours w/on line return that didn't show how to exchange, I just refunded with a $7.99 shipping charge and refund the rest of $358.

While packing it up, it is a beautiful jacket, but the zipper is too tiny for a quality jacket. A 3x would have been perfect, so I may look at a better Rocket Joe perforated leather with a better zipper. I did read one feedback on the zipper going bad in a couple of weeks if that long. Now I can see that wasn't spam.

Oh well, getting close and maybe snag a sale in the Winter before next spring.Whew! Glad I didn't ride with it on: but now it's just a $7.99 lesson. Zippers are the quality feature in any motorcycle gear: period.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

If anyone's got access to a Joe Rocket Hyperdrive perforated leather jacket to look at the zipper size and quality, please let me know. It is supposed to be a little better than the Sonic 2.0 perforated jacket but at near the same price now (??) It only goes up to 3x size which is perfect for me (or maybe a 2x?)

The Hyperdrive also has the embedded plastic shoulders and a better cut of leather. The Sonic 2.0 was almost like suede and would be hard to use saddle soap on. With no feedback on these, it's hard as hell buying over the net. It will be hard to find a return as good as Chaparral ($7.99), but that or free returns will have to be understood (but $7.99 for return shipping is sweet.)

So the leather quality and zippers size quality are the main issues with the Joe Rocket Hyperdrive perforated leather jacket. I'm also not sure about the perforation system yet (since they don't tell you $hit on the marketing ads, so you'll buy it, wear it, and own it before you figure what's going on.) This one is the hardest purchase yet, but the next step is $600 for all leather perforated jackets with armor and then they are made for malnourished 1940 Air Force cadets (who they did Western Med weight chart guidedlines we go by today - ??)

Oh yeah, the Hyperdrive (I think the perforated model) is a tall fitting with 2 to 3 extra inches on the body of the jacket which is nice. I'm just wondering what they offset the cost of better leather, more of it, and hopefully a better zipper. Mum's the word on advertising with no feedback. I'll try to get Motor Helmets or Competition Accessories (or anyone at the least cost, including Cycle Gear - they've gotten a little cheesy lately) to get one in, or I'll have to order one. If it is better zipper, more leather, and better leather, the the Sonic 2.0 would be toast for sure.

Last edited by kawdog; 09-04-2015 at 09:25 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 10:35 AM

Garage
There is some really good, high tech mesh gear available on the market these days. Motoport make custom Kevlar mesh gear which is approved for race track use by the AMA but kind of pricy. Rukka and Klim now also make high tech mesh gear. Both look very durable. Rev'It make the popular Ignition leather/mesh jacket. That said the price on the Joe Rocket seems pretty reasonable and they seem a step up in quality from Tourmaster.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-04-2015 at 10:37 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 12:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
There is some really good, high tech mesh gear available on the market these days. Motoport make custom Kevlar mesh gear which is approved for race track use by the AMA but kind of pricy. Rukka and Klim now also make high tech mesh gear. Both look very durable. Rev'It make the popular Ignition leather/mesh jacket. That said the price on the Joe Rocket seems pretty reasonable and they seem a step up in quality from Tourmaster.
As far as textile goes, I use both Tourmaster and Joe Rocket gear, and I consider them on par with one another. Both middle of the road in my opinion. Material seems pretty good, I just hope the overseas sewing doesn't fail me if/when I need it to perform :-)

That Motoport kevlar mesh gear is impressive. Just wish the prices weren't so high.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 01:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Well I measured the oversize in the waist - 14 inches!

And after spending over 2 hours w/on line return that didn't show how to exchange, I just refunded with a $7.99 shipping charge and refund the rest of $358.

While packing it up, it is a beautiful jacket, but the zipper is too tiny for a quality jacket. A 3x would have been perfect, so I may look at a better Rocket Joe perforated leather with a better zipper. I did read one feedback on the zipper going bad in a couple of weeks if that long. Now I can see that wasn't spam.

Oh well, getting close and maybe snag a sale in the Winter before next spring.Whew! Glad I didn't ride with it on: but now it's just a $7.99 lesson. Zippers are the quality feature in any motorcycle gear: period.

Go check these guys out. They are in Long Beach and the owner is a sweetheart of a gal.......About Us | New & Used Motorcycle Gear | Consignment & Collectibles | Yellow Devil Gear Exchange

Theres a Dainese store somewhere close. The oldest boy got a summer and winter leather jacket there. Not sure what he paid but there nice nice nice...Dainese Official Website: online motorcycle clothing, motorcycle protections and ski clothing. - Dainese

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Go check these guys out. They are in Long Beach and the owner is a sweetheart of a gal.......About Us | New & Used Motorcycle Gear | Consignment & Collectibles | Yellow Devil Gear Exchange

Theres a Dainese store somewhere close. The oldest boy got a summer and winter leather jacket there. Not sure what he paid but there nice nice nice...Dainese Official Website: online motorcycle clothing, motorcycle protections and ski clothing. - Dainese
Thanks Joe. Everything is here or 1/3 of the web businesses it seems. It's just hard to find them when you need them
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Motor Helmets has a Joe Rocket Hyperdrive perforated leather long 54 jacket coming in next Wednesday. Cool
weljo2001 likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've used the Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion mesh this summer and have been pleased. I am considering the Sonic perf leather as cooler weather approaches. The (somewhat) local bike shop has a large in stock, but it's all black if I remember correctly. I would prefer to have some color contrast to aid visibility, maybe red panels to match my spring?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Red cows (or leather) are expensive I just got my Joe Rocket Hyperdrive Tall 54 jacket at Motorworks for around $350 incl. tax (ymmv.) It ROCKS!

It has NICE leather, all except carbon shoulder pads. All 3 removable pads (I may replace from an older jacket with better pads - pads is ONE place they save some money - that's ok, I've got older jacket better pads), nice SOLID leather forearm pads with big JOE ROCKET on it as well as NAME posted on the back too (While not in red leather strips, it looks slick), and two button straps per arm: bicep and middle forearm. The arm length may be a little too long, but it is no big deal to me. The main zipper is NICE AND BIG, unlike the Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 (which also has drum died leather that looks like suede that you can't wash, use saddle soap, or treat like nice leather as on Hyperdrive coat).

The ventilation is good on the arms (90 degree weather today no problem, while moving - but filling up with gas, you break a few sweat beads on your forehead with helmet on.) The Sonic 2.0 is supposed to be better aerated, but can't clean or treat leather (i.e. - not top leather.) The Strength and Speed hybrid leather jacket for $300 retail was the lightest of all, but may catch colds in cool weather because too thin/aerated: as well as it tears easy and only goes to a 2x size.

Everyone who saw my jacket today complemented me on it, and I was the only one at Motor Helmets who had a leather jacket on (because it was perforated for the most part.) So between the Hyperdrive, Sonic 2.0, and S&S Top Dead Center jackets respectively:

Temp - full warm to cool + slight hot; hot to warm + slight cool; warm to hot + no cool

Price - $350; $367: $299 + tax

Leather - All NICE leather; One shot drum died leather; hybrid leather and textile (mfg. defect in leather perforation process )

Looks - Top leather and top dog; nice looking leather if you don't know the different grades; decent looking blue (red and white too I think) leather hybrid but it may be drum died leather too to keep costs down along with textile composition.

Most all other Perforated leather jackets (not on Ebay from China) start at $600 up to about $1150 (and many of the $600 ones were bybrids too - for skinny dudes or dudette's.) I tried on the S&S jacket on at Motor Helmets and walked around the store (real light jacket but was afraid of catching cold when it was cool), spent $8 for return plus a couple of hours time on the Sonic 2.0 jacket sending it back (which the wrong size made me look at zipper and leather quality before sending it back, THANK goodness), and then just ordered the Hyperdrive jacket from Motor Helmets long size 54 chest and picked it up - that was easy (never worry about waist on Joe Rocket jackets.) The Hyperdrive jacket fit comfortable with the liner in, so I knew w/o would be a comfortable fit. Nothing could have been easier, plus I get the 2 to 3 extra inches of bodylength on the long jacker (which the Sonic 2.0 also had available, but only up to 3x or size 54 chest.)

The Hyperdrive is definitely the nicest jacket I've ever had, and looks even better too. I walked about 3/4's of a mile in it today in the 90 F degree Sun. It was not the most pleasant experience, but all the squids riding in long sleeve shirts seemed to be amazed that is was not sweat stained, like I was amazed their shirts were not blood stained, ha ha.

Most of the other sites could not get the size AND the make of coat I wanted, so give Motor Helmets a buzz and ask them for the deluxe tall (true Chest size) Joe Rocket Hyperdrive PERFORATED (model) Leather Jacket. If you live in the South and esp. SO CA, you will love it (year round!)

And cooling your belly, like with S&S jacket, in Eastern medicine can cause serious digestive diseases that effect the whole body. Health originates and ends with your stomach!

Last edited by kawdog; 09-10-2015 at 10:02 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 01:29 AM

I'm looking at getting the Joe Rocket Ballistic 2.0 jacket myself. It's considered a 4 season jacket and all textile. Looks good for $199. I'm also getting their Windchill gloves for cold weather riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode