New Short Leather Chaps - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

New Short Leather Chaps

Short leather chaps and knee pads.

I've had the security of my $45 knee pads for a while and I like them, but I was getting bug zits on my lower legs. So I got some $60 short knee chaps from www. eagleleather. com

They fit my 18" calves perfect. I looked at the regular chaps, but they 'look' like they would take 30 minutes putting on and off. These go on and off in a snap if they fit like they do on my meaty calves (they fit like they were tailored for me!), and should help a little with the jet stream too. I may even try a leather jacket again if the saddle soap is a pragmatic alternative to cleaning AND waterproofing. Of course it never rains in CA anyway but... it's always good to be prepared on a motorcycle - it can be hell sometimes if you aren't, even in CA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 10:03 PM

Garage
Without some kind of rigid support mechanism that attaches to your leg to securely hold them in place over your knee I would think they would not stay in place in a slide with ~30 lbs of force from friction with the pavement yanking them off. Also leather wears through easily on a pressure point like your knee in a slide which is why you need armor underneath.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Motorbik...o/171903886557

Last edited by twowheels; 08-24-2015 at 10:09 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was wondering how exactly they would stay up myself, but it looked like what I wanted: easy on and off.

They have a zipper up the leg, then it cinches around the knee pinched in from the 18" calves. Then in addition, they have another leather strap that holds them around the knee/calf and a button at the bottom of the zipper. They are some nice soft leather pieces that hang like a custom over-the-knee sock.

An my knee pads (with out-side-knee protection too) go on top of the chaps, which is the most important protective piece. The short chaps are not so much protection from wrecks which they might be slightly (but I've never had a calf injury), but more for bug and element protection for my skin and chills. I'll try them out tomorrow, but I'm pretty impressed with the fit so far. I could see what you are saying if they are going on chicken legs, but the skin snug leather and Large zipper (it looks like over $40 worth of zippers alone) aren't going nowhere without my legs attached with my knee pad on top with 2 straps (but now I'd like to replace my knee pad straps with leather ones, but... )

The knee pad and short chap combo looks like a winner all the way around for me, but I'll find out in the next few days. No matter how well you plan, it all comes down to trial and error! And they will look cooler than my kneepads crimped around my pants bunched up too

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 06:18 AM

Garage
They remind me of English riding boots.

The purpose is similar to gore-tex gaiters I wear in the back country.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
They remind me of English riding boots.

The purpose is similar to gore-tex gaiters I wear in the back country.
I wish I had seen goretex gaiters first, but these seem worth a shot since I've got them now. It is the nicest leather I've ever had anyway.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Two Wheel!

If you got a good vendor with goretex gaiters that fit 18.25" calves, let me know please.

I was just slightly too large to easily loop the leather gaitors zipper. Too bad because they were a great looking product for a decent price from a quality US company.

Thanks for the heads up. The goretex gaiters seem more waterproof anyway, and maybe a little more collapsible. If they fit, either concept seems great for most purposes most of the time riding a motorcycle.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 09:32 PM

Garage
Kawdog, all of my backcountry gear was purchased several years ago.

Vendors I recalling were campmor, rei, backcountry outfitters, cabelas, and sportsmansguide.

Good luck in your search.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Kawdog, all of my backcountry gear was purchased several years ago.

Vendors I recalling were campmor, rei, backcountry outfitters, cabelas, and sportsmansguide.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks. I really like the waterproof high tech materials, but am thinking that the smooth leather may provide a better jet stream effect without a lower fairing.

I Finally found one with larger calf sizes and may try them out after they correspond back to me. They just have 2" velcro (instead of inconvenient zippers) and thick leather (just so long as my knee pads will fit over them.)

** Of course w/out the tassel's, lace, and studs. **

Motorcycle Half Chaps - Chilhowee Motorcycle Leather

Last edited by kawdog; 08-25-2015 at 10:33 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Cricket pads FTW!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Cricket pads FTW!
Cricket must be one tough sport! Wearing Baseball catchers uniforms and chasing each other with big sticks.

It really is a good idea to combine both the knee pad and short chaps into one device. But for optimal jet stream, the contoured leather leg short chaps seem optimal (so far anyway.) The cricket pads seem optimal for protecting your shins from people swinging big sticks at you,

Thanks for the excellent idea, and let me think about it further.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:49 PM

I just measured my calves...16"...wozzer...you do have big calves.
I have some gore-tex gaiters I use for hiking and they fit me...probably not you..

But good luck in your search. The leather is a good material for wind/cold...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgb View Post
I just measured my calves...16"...wozzer...you do have big calves.
I have some gore-tex gaiters I use for hiking and they fit me...probably not you..

But good luck in your search. The leather is a good material for wind/cold...
I remeasured and they were 19.5" (I was a 10 lb. baby with football legs.) I am trying to get away from textured jet stream items to see how much of a difference it makes. And like the 3m spray for uv and waterproofing of textiles, there is a 303 product that works on leather (among other non-textile) items.

Leather will still require more care like taking it off when you are sweating and not just throwing it in the washer like textiles. They will be cheaper than a lower fairing anyway, especially shop time taking it on and off! This might actually work out pretty nice in a couple of ways.

Last edited by kawdog; 08-27-2015 at 05:23 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Got my new larger short knee-chaps that fit my (muscular) 19.3/4" calves (I ran 10 miles / day in the US Army 5 days/week, a while back.)

The new pads with velcro fit PERFECT and look slick! My knee pads fit over them like they were made together.

My lower fairing has arrived. I'm looking forward to a great ride in the morning.

Last edited by kawdog; 09-03-2015 at 01:39 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

The Chihowee knee high chaps above with the following knee guards rock!

ALPINESTARS - Vapor Knee Guard - Neck Braces - Protection - Off-Road - Cycle Gear

It keeps the high speed shakes down to a minimum (on wavy expressways) and keeps the legs nice, warm, and protected. It really is the ultimate without lower fairing protection. The knee guards and the knee high chaps were made for each other. The chaps keep the knee guards from falling down when walking, and the knee guards keep the chaps from moving around while riding. The chaps also has a 2" wide velcro fastener which is quick and easy to attach. The velcro could be wider due to the difference of calves to ankles, but it's holding on fine now so I'm not going to worry about widening the velcro (easy to do but unneeded for the time being.)

Not only the jet stream is rock solid now, but the lower legs feel very secure without crotch rot leather pants or 15 minute install (est.) full chaps. It really is a perfect combo for our non-lower fairing bike, and a little protection as well. I hope the bug zits go away on my lower legs now

Below is a shot of the combo on my wheels with my size 14's sticking out the bottom. Now it's pretty much total protection from top of knee to tip of toe: weather, chills, bugs, and knee meniscus/ligament protection. They are WONDERFUL for jet stream action for a non-fairing motorcycle! Note: pants are baggy at thighs since bend knees 90 degrees and want to keep from pulling pants down when on bike. They walk better combined than the knee guards alone, since they tend to fall down after a while by themselves.

I am IRON MAN! (Black Sabbath)

Last edited by kawdog; 09-05-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode