Helmet debate, need feedback - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Helmet shopping, need feedback

well I decided to start shopping around for another helmet. my afx-fx41 is very comfortable but on long trips the darn thing is so loud and turning my head to check lanes at highway speeds the wind yanks a bit.

so I've been shopping around for a relatively quiet helmet that I can Bluetooth for the longer rides.

the main two I'm looking at right now under the 200$ price point are the Bell Revolver and the LS2 ff386.

reading reviews is so confusing because one review will talk about how its quiet and the next will say how loud it is.

any of you have experience with these helmets? or have another suggestion less than 200$? I don't have to have a modular helmet, but if I buy another helmet it either has to be a lot more comfortable or have some more features over my current one.

Last edited by kohburn; 07-29-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 09:52 AM

I wouldn't consider any helmet that wasn't Snell which rules out modular.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
I wouldn't consider any helmet that wasn't Snell which rules out modular.
snell standard has gotten better but their focus on point impact rather than shock load force transfer lost me years ago. ECE is the standard with my respect. but as long as it meats DOT as a minimum I don't really care.

I'm also not hung up on modular, what I really want is quiet and stable without buffeting at speed. the kabuto kamui caught my eye but it is out of the price range I set for myself.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

this review has me thinking about an hjc cl-17

"Score: We'll give the HJC CL-17 an "Outstanding" rating for noise control."
"CL-17 is among the quietest motorcycle helmets we've reviewed"

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...-17/review.htm
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 01:07 PM

Garage
If your not picky about looks, you can pick up an HJC CL-17 "Victory" helmet for under $100 now. I don't think that graphic went over too well.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 01:33 PM

I have an CL-17 that's relatively quiet. More so than some others that I've tried. Sometimes, it depends on how well the foam fits up against your ears.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

used some rewards points and got a cl-17 for 86$ will see if its quiet enough for a sena Bluetooth
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
my afx-fx41 is very comfortable but on long trips the darn thing is so loud and turning my head to check lanes at highway speeds the wind yanks a bit.
Quote:
the kabuto kamui caught my eye but it is out of the price range I set for myself.
I have not worn a AFX fx41, but did own a FX39. Very comfy, but the shield would not seal with the gasket. I thought t rode great for aerodynamics, but no matter what there was always air coming up under the shield driving me crazy. I will not own another AFX as their fit and finish is lacking personally.

When searching for a replacement I had a list of requirements. Drop down visor, Pinlock, led me to seeing the Kabuto Kamui at a dealer. I had never heard of them, but tried it on and really liked the feel. I was all set to buy the solid color, as the Fluent graphic I really liked was $300+ tax, a bit more than I as willing to spend. I did manage to find one online however for $220 I believe when I went home to research the brand!

I really like the helmet.
-It fits my head VERY comfy.
-It vents great on hot days
-fits with glasses very well thanks to channels for the frames
-Love the drop down visor
-Has never fogged in rain or cold weather thanks to pinlock
-I personally love the graphics

Negatives
-I would not call the helmet loud, but because of the great venting, it does add some noise(I wear plugs at all times though)
-The chin bar could be 1-2cm farther from the face
-The one that drives me absolutely insane! The visor closes itself all the time while riding. I wear either sunglasses, or clear safety glasses at all times while riding. I like to ride with the shield up to enjoy air flow. Stock the shield would close itself anytime I hit 35-40mph! I have done some mods, and now it waits till mid 50's to slam shut. I spoke to the dealer where I initially found the brand and they tried to tell me all helmets do that(every other helmet I own stays open no matter what speed I go. 7 models from 5 brands)

Overall I do like the helmet. I would not buy it again, purely based on the shield closing, but if I didnt like to always have the shield open, I would have no complaints with it.

I do have a speaker setup in the helmet. I use Torx X2 speakers, and a Bluetooth adapter for my phone.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:

I'm with kohburn -webbikeworld is, in my opinion, an excellent source for thorough and objective reviews.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

this should be at my house tomorrow when I get home from work

will have to do a review
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

somehow I didn't notice that it does not have an internal sunvisor, I use the one I have every day. so I've been scouring the web for a photochromatic (auto tinting) pinlock and have only found overseas sources, seems that its not approved for sale in the US due to some legal certification, and may be of marginal effectiveness.

Last edited by kohburn; 07-30-2015 at 02:39 PM.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 06:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
somehow I didn't notice that it does not have an internal sunvisor, I use the one I have every day. so I've been scouring the web for a photochromatic (auto tinting) pinlock and have only found overseas sources, seems that its not approved for sale in the US due to some legal certification, and may be of marginal effectiveness.
Yea, you wanted to buy the IS-17 to get the drop down visor.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 07:46 PM

I have the HJC CL-17 and it's definitely not quiet. I have to wear earplugs if I'm above speeds of 50mph.

You get what you pair for. Otherwise than noise, it's a good helmet for the price.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Yea, you wanted to buy the IS-17 to get the drop down visor.
*facepalm* well I got it through amazon so ill try it and return if need be.

also stumbled on a likely pricing accident on amazom that had one specific size and color of is17 for only 88$ so that is on the way also. My wife us not going to like my new helmet collection.

Last edited by kohburn; 07-30-2015 at 08:25 PM.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:

I bought a CL-17 on fire sale and haven't put my modular back on since. Snell approved. Both my regular glasses and sunglasses fit comfortably without crushing my skull. And it is leaps and bounds quieter than my Mod, and that is without the chin curtain. I don't know if this is really quiet, but much quieter than my modular.

For 135.00, it was a gamble that paid off big.

BONUS - It compliments the bike nicely (for we greenies) and is brightly colored.

CON - I miss my drop down visor for sun in eyeballs dearly.

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green

Last edited by Zoomie; 07-31-2015 at 07:36 AM.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

The cl17 was waiting for me I got home today. I tried all 3 different windscreens some causing horrible head buffeting with this helmet. Bad enough to blur vision. But once I went to no windscreen it was so quiet. Almost like being in the car with the windows cracked. This helmet is super quiet on a naked bike but highly susceptible to turbulence.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

used the is-17 today - a little louder than the cl17 but no bad. going to have to do some test runs with different windscreens to see if it works well with some or if it also prone to the same buffeting issues as the cl-17
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 11:17 AM

The Versys 650 factory windscreen is LOUD LOUD LOUD.

This was the first thing I noticed when I got the biker. LOTS of wind noise coming off of the factory windscreen.

Changed it out for a Givi D410ST and that cut the noise in half.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
The Versys 650 factory windscreen is LOUD LOUD LOUD.

This was the first thing I noticed when I got the biker. LOTS of wind noise coming off of the factory windscreen.

Changed it out for a Givi D410ST and that cut the noise in half.
Its funny because the fx41 was barely affected by change in winscreens. Something about its aerodynamics made it cut its own path when facing the wind. But it was alwsys loud. Heck below 40 it was quieter with the visor up.

Last edited by kohburn; 08-05-2015 at 09:18 AM.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 10:31 PM

Garage
I have the HJC modular which was sold by Harley Davidson so it is matte black and such. I've added a lot of dynamat to the entire helmet and there's still a ton of noise.

I'm not sure where the next step is helmet wise as it seems the best are HJC at ~$150 and other japanese brands at ~$500. I'm not sure if those are even worth the price if they sound bad and have loose visors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode