Jacket/Pants for a big guy - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to Squarebanks
Jacket/Pants for a big guy

Heyo! So I live in an area where finding affordable riding gear is basically impossible (interior Alaska) so I will need to order my safety gear online.

Amazon seems to have good deals on decent gear but I have always been super hesitant to buy cloths online due to my size. I'm 6'3" 250lb. I have broad shoulders and a large chest. I have a long torso and I hate plumbers crack so the jacket needs to be long enough to cover my belt line when I'm leaning forward on the bike.

I carry my excess flub around my gut and thigh area so pants might be really tricky. I'm a 38-40" waist but I usually buy size 42" pants to accommodate my child bearing hips (as my friend likes to jokingly call them).

Unfortunately I don't have the funds to get anything custom made (plus I'm a new rider so I'd hate to spend $1000 on safety gear and find out I don't like riding) so I'll have to attempt a purchase online. Any recommendations from larger folks who have ordered online? Are the charts available that are based on shirt size fairly accurate? What about pants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 09:34 PM

Garage
I would phone somewhere like http://www.Revzilla.com (they have a toll free number) and get the advice of their customer service people. Longer length jackets (3/4 length) fit better if you have a bit of a mid section compared to above the hip or at the hip jackets that have a much less adjustable fit. You may be able to find motorcycle jeans at http://gusset.com/ as they make custom sizes.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 12:15 AM

Garage
I have had really good luck with Cycle Gear Bilt brand. It's not expensive and pretty decent quality. It is NOT top of the line stuff but it does the trick. I have worn the Bilt Explorer jacket for a few years now with no complaints. I am also 6'3" with a 36" inseam and yeah, finding tall pants ( I have a 34" waist though) can sometimes be a challenge. You can also check out motorcyclegear.com or motorcyclecloseouts.com for some decent deals. Timing is everything on these two sites, I scored a NICE Firstgear Jaunt jacket recently for a killer price. And shipping wasn't that bad either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 12:21 AM

Joe Rocket is about the only big man's riding gear, at a good price, and it looks good. Places like Competition Accessories, Motor Helmets, and others has sales often. Coats can be as low as $60 but pants are about $120. Of course the coat pads may need upgrading. Always check Ebay and Amazon because the other stores will just have sales on slow moving, which is not the big sizes usually because they don't order many.

You are not going to beat Joe Rocket for price and quality (considering price) and FIT into them too

Last edited by kawdog; 07-14-2015 at 12:28 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
Heyo! So I live in an area where finding affordable riding gear is basically impossible (interior Alaska) so I will need to order my safety gear online.

Amazon seems to have good deals on decent gear but I have always been super hesitant to buy cloths online due to my size. I'm 6'3" 250lb. I have broad shoulders and a large chest. I have a long torso and I hate plumbers crack so the jacket needs to be long enough to cover my belt line when I'm leaning forward on the bike.

I carry my excess flub around my gut and thigh area so pants might be really tricky. I'm a 38-40" waist but I usually buy size 42" pants to accommodate my child bearing hips (as my friend likes to jokingly call them).

Unfortunately I don't have the funds to get anything custom made (plus I'm a new rider so I'd hate to spend $1000 on safety gear and find out I don't like riding) so I'll have to attempt a purchase online. Any recommendations from larger folks who have ordered online? Are the charts available that are based on shirt size fairly accurate? What about pants?
It ain't just Alaska. I live in a city with a large population in the burbs and I still have to ride to the next city over to find a decent selection of riding gear.

Last time I was there, there were a couple of brands catering to bigger riders. One was Tourmaster. Don't recall the other, but I didn't like them as well. The one's I got are called the Caliber pants:

https://www.denniskirk.com/3567689M.sku?ad=7782096818
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 07:55 AM

You would do fine in a Tourmaster Intake Air 3 "Tall" XL / XXL. I am 6'5 210, length wise it covers me perfectly and I have a bit too much room in it everywhere else however it has buttons to fasten it down to fit you better. They just released a new version of the jacket so the older one is now very cheap - around 100-125 online. Highly recommended!

http://www.cyclegear.com/TOUR-MASTER...iv3RoCJOjw_wcB
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 08:16 AM

One of the best, and first to provide online retailer reviews of the products they sell, is motorcyclegear.com, formerly known as newenough.com. They have a specific search engine for big/tall riders, and it is for brand name gear. Also, about the best return policies on the planet. Many stories of exchanges arriving at the purchaser before even sending back the original item.
Here is the specific link for their "hard to fit" page:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/advanced_search

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

The FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket SHOULD be a good one for you w/ Alaska riding. I've got two, one each in AZ and BC.

They fit BIG...! At 5' 10", 180#, I tried a Large - WAY-Y-Y too big, so now I have Medium.

ALL my other jackets are Large's....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

I have 4 ride seasons/years on a pair of Tourmaster "overpants".

Mine are 2XL and I am about a 42 waist and I get them over jeans.

I bet a 2 XL tall or 3 XL tall would be good in this line.

The tag says "38-40 waist" but like I said I wear a 42 in jeans, and these fit over my jeans... but snug now in the waist (pie I suppose the culprit..)

I need the same "wrestler build" cut myself..

Great in fowl weather (cold) over jeans, or sometimes I run with shorts under em in the summer. Some vents too, they are "quite generously cut" and you would find them accommodating. I was to many dealership/retailers before I found these to be the only one at any price that fit me well. About $149 maybe Google around, ebay, etc.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...FYVAaQodORUAog
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:47 PM

Garage
It may not be in the price range you are looking at but see what AeroStich has to offer.

https://www.aerostich.com/

I have a Darien Jacket and the AD1 Pants that I am very happy with. They vent pretty well and ride ok into the upper 80's for sure and even the low 90's, yet close up nice for cooler days. They can do a lot of custom fitting if needed.

My riding buddy (who was in AK last year) just ordered a new suit after getting something like 12 years out of his last one. He puts on anywhere form 5k to 15k miles a year.

There is a definite advantage to having your regular riding gear also be your rain gear.

Mitch
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hey slow man, my chum from Ashland. Say, your within cruising range of Aerostich too.... been there?

They are the nicest folks, if you got $500 clams for a jacket.. they gave me a tour of their 3 story building on a day when it was about 100 degrees. They could have just spread my ashes in nearby Lake Superior... cause I thought I was gonna die (stairs, NO AC, and my ticker is a POS).

I had a Darien (used). The "service" even after the purchase is phenomenal, and they did not care that I did not buy it new-- they resealed some seams, etc, for free-- I did not even ask, they said, "lemme see your jacket" and they spotted some areas that needed attention inside.

One of my ride chums, last summer up there

One of the Aerostich crew has a first gen. Versys.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 06:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
Hey slow man, my chum from Ashland. Say, your within cruising range of Aerostich too.... been there?
Yes, I'm WAY too close to AeroStich, and I've spend a fair amount of time in their showroom.

That's Kyle's red Versys, he posts on here occasionally I believe.

Mitch
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 01:01 PM

http://www.compacc.com/p/joe-rocket-ballistic-7-0-pants

You are not going to find big pa5nts as cheap as above, or not much cheaper.

And Joe Rocket jackets are not bad for the best price. Revzilla is good for retail, but I'd rather go ebay (usually) or amazon (when returns are important) instead and save half off (anything.)
================================================== ====

Edit: I just got Goretex imitations pants from Competition Accessories by Tourmaster, since I don't like wearing the bulky Joe Rocket riding pants above in the city. I need something compact, and just put my knee guards over them. They were $70 or $95 which I got that are Dupont fire proof. Rain after months time makes the expressways spooky so I figured all the insurance I could get would work good. I saw ONE guy splitting lanes in the rain yesterday on the slick greasy yellow line, lol. Not me! Cars were weaving from one side to the other slowly - ???

Anyway, if you got $45 knee guards, these are cheaper and you don't have to spray the water proof 3m spray like you do on textiles (I think - ?)

http://www.compacc.com/images/product/300/53754_2.jpg

Last edited by kawdog; 07-19-2015 at 04:59 PM.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 08:32 PM

Garage
5'11 205-220lbs with long torso. I second the previous suggestions of Joe Rocket Jackets and Tourmaster over pants. They have big sizes and decent prices.

If your not ATGATT, and want some tough jeans that are roomy and easy to find, check out double front logging jeans from carhart. They wear like iron. I've thankfully not tested their abrasion resistance on the bike, but I believe they would fare better than most non mc specific jeans. Not for real warm weather though, they do not breath well.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 10:40 PM

Garage
Fly Butane is a great jacket in big guy sizes
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-butane-4-jacket
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 06:11 PM

Well, I got my Tourmaster $91.50 3xl rain pants with flame proof heat shields, and they fit nice in my underwear. But over my pants with all my pockets full of crap would be another story.

So, I just bought direct from froggtoggraingear.com Road Toad pants for $25 (cheaper than ebay with no shipping), that are REAL breathable and rainproof. I used them on bicycles and they are not bad. It is some triple layer of some plastic and paper for hiking originally (, lighter than the motorcycle version of Road Toad.)

The Tourmasters were great though: but maybe a little thick for crunching down in smaller spaces. It is a great quality product with lack of features (fly zipper) and size alternatives (they have 4x sized, but none available to fit over clothes of 3x size rider pants.)
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 04:51 AM

Buying a motorcycle safety gear is much tricky job to be done specially for the bigger guys because a sizing problems means you will be cost some $$$$ for return.
Anyhow coming to world of the protective gear. Alpinestars , Cortech , Icon and Joe rocket are few of the best options out there but as you mentioned that your resources are limited and you can't buy something that cost you some extra dollars in that scenario you should have to try some of these vendors for high quality motorcycle gear with low price options . Jafrum , Xelement , Jackets4bikes and Venson Leather.
My Experience with Jackets4bikes.com
I have done few of the transactions with these guys. They guided me well for the perfect sizing options. A $100 jacket or a $200 motorcycle leather suit is way way good technique to start over to find true sizing. I have recommended them cause you can also find a good quality leather pant out there under $100.
Find your true size with there sizing chart listed with each product.

"Live For The Ride"

Last edited by Jacobes; 07-22-2015 at 04:53 AM.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 10:45 PM

Garage
I'm a big guy

At 6' 2" and 300+#, it's not easy to get gear
And for me, the hardest are the pants

Joe Rocket are always big enough, sometimes too big, at least the jacket
But f*ck, always in black ... It ain't fun to wear black at 90+ degrees

So I'm putting $$$ aside and eventually will get a motoport kit
In color this time (maybe not bright yellow, but anything else than black) AND custom made ...

LOP
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 02:03 AM

Damn, $17 to ship back to IN from CA a 8" cubed box about 4 lbs to return my rain pants. 17/91.5 = 19% just peed down the drain on that good deal, lol. Mealy mouthed post office clerk mumbled something I couldn't understand in response.

I need an alternative to the USPS for packages, but they all suk I think. And then make you wait in line to get ripped off even more from your time with one server and 30 people waiting. USPS and ALL parcel services run in the back every chance they get to take a break. We need cameras on them like the Police are doing now
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 05:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Damn, $17 to ship back to IN from CA a 8" cubed box about 4 lbs to return my rain pants. 17/91.5 = 19% just peed down the drain on that good deal, lol. Mealy mouthed post office clerk mumbled something I couldn't understand in response.

I need an alternative to the USPS for packages, but they all suk I think. And then make you wait in line to get ripped off even more from your time with one server and 30 people waiting. USPS and ALL parcel services run in the back every chance they get to take a break. We need cameras on them like the Police are doing now
My 2 cents on that matter

I'm canadian
When I buy "stuff" from the states, if they don't offer usps shipping, I simply continue shopping for another shop

You have no idea how much we get shafted by the ups-fedex/others when that parcel arrives at our door
Fee for this, other fee for that, taxes, brokrage fee, taxes on top of it all ... Geee !
Usps, one fee, reasonnable, predictable, on time, nothing but praise from me !

My 2 cents

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode