My jacket doesn't fit, does it? :-( - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy My jacket doesn't fit, does it? :-(

I gave my dimensions to the guys at RevZilla (chest 40, waist 35, sleeve 36) and they recommended size Medium (Tall) for the Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 Jacket:

I pulled my shirt up with one hand so you can see where my shorts sit and my belly button.

The waist feels good and the chest is ever so slightly tight when I take a deep breath (I couldn't fit a sweater or hoodie under the jacket). I think the sleeves are the right length:

But... The jacket's too long, isn't it?...

P.S. They also told me to buy the wrong glove size :-/

Last edited by N00bster; 07-07-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 08:49 PM

Garage
Jackets too long and too snug...

For measuring gloves.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avK-OVKw9SU

A lot of companies have a size chart and i've always got the correct size buy going with the measurements....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Jackets too long and too snug...

For measuring gloves.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avK-OVKw9SU

A lot of companies have a size chart and i've always got the correct size buy going with the measurements....

How much shorter do you think the jacket needs to be?

The size chart shows:

I could try a Large, but the sleeve length is only 1" shorter, so the jacket may only be that much shorter as well..

EDIT: I'm also not sure if making the sleeves shorter is OK?

Last edited by N00bster; 07-07-2015 at 09:26 PM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 09:49 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
you want the jacket to be slightly tight so in a crash the armor stays in place but you dont want it to be restrictive

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Funny, I had a 2XL Joe Rocket and it was a nice jacket, got it from another inmate on another forum. Like yours, it was long in the torso, not quite that bad tho. It fit like a 3 XL.

I gifted it to another rider friend I knew whom was riding KLR's with us and he just had a hooded sweatshirt and an orange hunting vest, and I knew the Joe Rocket would fit him better than me, he's still wearing it... and now flies a new Tenere...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 11:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
you want the jacket to be slightly tight so in a crash the armor stays in place but you dont want it to be restrictive
Good advice.

And to state the obvious fit varies by company & even by lines in the same company. Olympia & Fly fit me perfect all around. Joe Rocket US models fit okay but the arms are always about 3"-4" too long...Joe Rocket Canadian models (in the same size as I'd buy from their US line) fit ridiculously large. Dainese on the other hand, like most European brands, fit like sausage casing.

Back to N00bster's issue, take Revzilla Anthony up on his oh so subtle commitment in his videos and exchange for free.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 02:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bster View Post
I gave my dimensions to the guys at RevZilla (chest 40, waist 35, sleeve 36) and they recommended size Medium (Tall) for the Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 Jacket:

I pulled my shirt up with one hand so you can see where my shorts sit and my belly button.

The waist feels good and the chest is ever so slightly tight when I take a deep breath (I couldn't fit a sweater or hoodie under the jacket). I think the sleeves are the right length:

But... The jacket's too long, isn't it?...

P.S. They also told me to buy the wrong glove size :-/
Just my 2 cents. Exchange it for an Olympia Airglide or Expedition jacket, they're more versatile hot/cold weather design, especially the Expedition, better quality construction (Cordura) and better fitment. I've owned both the Alter Ego and Olympia Airglide and AST jackets.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-08-2015 at 02:08 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 06:00 AM
BKP

Garage
I've had Joe Rocket jackets for years (for a summer jacket) - first the Phoenix, and just bought the new Phoenix ION (which is everything I've wanted to see fixed on the Phoenix, and also includes both a waterproof liner, as well as quilted liner).
Fit is pretty consistent with Joe Rocket. I wear a 44 regular height, and I would *not* recommend a Large for you. You'd be swimming in it. Just slightly snug is better than swimming in it, as it keeps the armor in place better. Perhaps you just don't need the "Tall" version.
The nice thing about Revzilla is their return policy...

P.S. The sleeves are the correct length for you.

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 06:23 AM

Garage
Snug is better for protection like others have already said. Also better for not flapping in the wind. Not sure why you bought black though. Least protective color.

I am truly amazed at the difference I see in cagers around me when I wear Hi-viz jackets. I don't change the way I ride, but they sure change the way they drive around me.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:27 AM

I recently got a great deal on a three season jacket but it was only available in black. Like TWA stated above, black is not seen very well so I bought a nice, hi-vis vest and still came out way ahead.

Dan
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Snug is better for protection like others have already said. Also better for not flapping in the wind. Not sure why you bought black though. Least protective color.

I am truly amazed at the difference I see in cagers around me when I wear Hi-viz jackets. I don't change the way I ride, but they sure change the way they drive around me.
i found big fuzzy ears have the same affect on the account i ride in a black dickies jacket most the time

yes im a guy.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
i found big fuzzy ears have the same affect on the account i ride in a black dickies jacket most the time
Don't you have to wear helmets up there in Oregon? How do they see your big fuzzy ears?

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Not sure why you bought black though. Least protective color.
I wanted to buy red or yellow, but black was the only color they had in this size.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
I would *not* recommend a Large for you. You'd be swimming in it. Just slightly snug is better than swimming in it, as it keeps the armor in place better. Perhaps you just don't need the "Tall" version.
The nice thing about Revzilla is their return policy...

P.S. The sleeves are the correct length for you.
My concern with switching to a medium is that the size chart shows the sleeve length being two inches shorter than the medium (tall) which I have (and which you say the sleeve length is correct for). So I'm not sure if the sleeves on the medium will be long enough. The size chart shows the sleeve length for the large size as being an inch shorter than the medium (tall).

Not sure what to do
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
Don't you have to wear helmets up there in Oregon? How do they see your big fuzzy ears?
LOL.... i drilled holes in the top for them to poke out....see....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1370908417.djyiffen_need_to_name_006.jpg (157.9 KB, 39 views)

yes im a guy.

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Just me, but I am lucky to have a couple decent bike/parts and aftermarket stores within range, and lots of dealerships in general. Much like buying riding pants or boots, one brands 5XL fits like someone elses SMALL.

It's nice to try some brands on, maybe make a decision later, or at least check online prices, sometimes I find it for the same price or cheaper at my local cycle store, perhaps mid-season like now.

I have a First Gear Kilimanjaro, I believe, a lot of jacket for the money, I think I got it for $149 or $169, but it was a model-year style or so old, but new on the rack. They run huge too, which I needed. The fit is great, the material just fine, but the vent zippers snag easy, and the pocket-flap things seem cheesy.

I had a Tourmaster for some years in LIME green, and for it being a moderately priced jacket at the time, it was really well made, never had a zipper snag, etc. It somehow magically got smaller from one fall till the next spring, cause gosh knows I am at my ideal weight (*if I was 9 feet tall).

Someone said "Olympia", man they make some nice stuff, try one on sometime, compare the fit/finish and quality, nice stuff and still cheaper than Aerostich or KLIM. I don't know or recall how Olympia sizes run, but it's on my bucket list. Somewhere there is a PERFECT JACKET waiting...

I also had an Aerostich Darien I got used, man what a battle jacket as far as weather (excellent), but it was hot in the summer seasons, and with the robust armor, it would fill a Pelican case if you wanted to stow it and go for a walk. People joke about them looking like the jacket someone's mom made... they are based about 3 hours north of me, so I still speak nice on them, but five hundred for a new jacket...

well....
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Just my 2 cents. Exchange it for an Olympia Airglide or Expedition jacket, they're more versatile hot/cold weather design, especially the Expedition, better quality construction (Cordura) and better fitment. I've owned both the Alter Ego and Olympia Airglide and AST jackets.
I can't afford the Expedition, but the Airglide does look pretty nice! Unfortunately that would mean having to start the size-guessing process over again. Hmm...
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
I can't afford the Expedition, but the Airglide does look pretty nice! Unfortunately that would mean having to start the size-guessing process over again. Hmm...
You're a Medium in Olympia with a 40 inch chest. Shorter sleeves are advantageous with gauntlet style gloves as the cuffs don't bunch up in the gloves which makes pulling your gloves on and off a lot easier. This is why most motorcycle jackets have a sleeve that is an inch or two shorter than normal, because they are designed to be worn with gloves that protect the wrist as well as the hand.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-08-2015 at 10:07 PM.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:44 PM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post

Just me, but I am lucky to have a couple decent bike/parts and aftermarket stores within range, and lots of dealerships in general. Much like buying riding pants or boots, one brands 5XL fits like someone elses SMALL.

It's nice to try some brands on, maybe make a decision later, or at least check online prices, sometimes I find it for the same price or cheaper at my local cycle store, perhaps mid-season like now.

I have a First Gear Kilimanjaro, I believe, a lot of jacket for the money, I think I got it for $149 or $169, but it was a model-year style or so old, but new on the rack. They run huge too, which I needed. The fit is great, the material just fine, but the vent zippers snag easy, and the pocket-flap things seem cheesy.

I had a Tourmaster for some years in LIME green, and for it being a moderately priced jacket at the time, it was really well made, never had a zipper snag, etc. It somehow magically got smaller from one fall till the next spring, cause gosh knows I am at my ideal weight (*if I was 9 feet tall).

Someone said "Olympia", man they make some nice stuff, try one on sometime, compare the fit/finish and quality, nice stuff and still cheaper than Aerostich or KLIM. I don't know or recall how Olympia sizes run, but it's on my bucket list. Somewhere there is a PERFECT JACKET waiting...

I also had an Aerostich Darien I got used, man what a battle jacket as far as weather (excellent), but it was hot in the summer seasons, and with the robust armor, it would fill a Pelican case if you wanted to stow it and go for a walk. People joke about them looking like the jacket someone's mom made... they are based about 3 hours north of me, so I still speak nice on them, but five hundred for a new jacket...

well....
I have two Olympia Switchbacks (an original in Hi-Viz, which I was wearing when I was rear ended -- so much for neon yellow making a difference), and an Olympia Switchback II. LOVED the original (which is why I bought the II). Not so much with the new one. Didn't like the Velcro (as opposed to snaps) for the arm straps, and I felt the collar is too high for a summer jacket (on the Olympia). Although, fit is perfect. I wear a large in the Phoenix *and* the Olympia. Extra large in Dianese. I'm 5'9", 34" waist, 44" shoulders, 183 lbs. I wear a medium in Tourmaster. . The Kilimanjaro is my winter jacket -- that's a large.

I agree with the above... try on a few brands at any local shop, and figure out what fits well...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I gave my dimensions to the guys at RevZilla
I don't know if it's too long for you or not, but generally, bike jackets come long, so if you are leaned forward, your asshat won't be visible to the public. On a Versys, the whole leaned forward thing isn't as big an issue, so it may well be too long for your needs, but I can see why Revzilla made such a recommendation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode