Motorcycle Jeans - WTF with the fit? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Motorcycle Jeans - WTF with the fit?

I think I'm pretty much well within the Bell curve proportionally at 5'10" and ~180lb so you would think it would be easy to find a pair of motorcycle jeans that fit reasonably well. I'm not sure why but motorcycle jean manufacturers seem almost incapable of producing jeans that fit. I've owned quite a few pair pairs of motorcycle jeans over the years but none stand out as having even close to a normal fit. Every pair I've owned has had giant rear pockets that extend halfway down the leg, not sure why. The Competition Accessories Sliders jeans I've owned have had the most bizarre fit in a category where unusual fit is commonplace. Each leg had an individual circumference almost as big as the waist size and an extremely low waist rise. The well constructed, but poor fitting Revit jeans had pencil thin legs but a waist and rear to fit Kim Kardashion's giant bubble butt. So far the most normal/best fit I've found in this category is the Brosh Motorcycle Cargo pants, they are also a deal at $70, although I think my next pair may just be their Kevlar kit which I can just have sewn into a normal pair of street jeans.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-02-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Motorcycle jeans have somewhat different requirements to fulfil. They have to accommodate knee protectors, often hip protectors (look for jeans that can take those, if you lowside to the side you will slide on the hip, at least I did). They have to be a bit longer than your normal jeans so that you don't flash your socks when your tucked in on the bike, they should be fairly tight around the legs so that the knee protectors don't move too much etc. My moto jeans do fit a bit differently than ordinary jeans. They're still comfortable day-to-day, but different.

Curiously enough, I didn't have problems finding a fitting pair and I'm probably not in the middle of the bell curve (6'3", 200 lb). It was a local brand that's not exported to the US though. Keep looking!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I found the the Lean Angle jeans to fit very close to regular jeans, just a bit more roomy, nothing crazy. Full Kevlar lined with forcefield brand knee and hip armor.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 03:48 PM

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's not everyone's choice but I'm a fan of Bohn armored pants which is actually a stretch mesh under garment. It offers shin/knee, thigh, hip, and tailbone armor and can be worn comfortably under regular jeans.

My favorite combo is the summer mesh Bohn pants (tights actually) under a pair of Firehose jeans made by Duluth Trading Company. Not perfect but damned good at protecting my old skin and bones. The combo isn't cheap but then neither are hospital bills.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 12:17 AM

Can't speak for you odd shaped Americans but my Draggins classic fit like my Levi 501's. No problem with quality either.

Aussie ingenuity taken to the world.. They even manufacture in the good 'ol US of A..

http://www.dragginjeans.com/

Ian
Growing Older is Inevitable, Growing Up is Optional.

Last edited by IF1960; 07-03-2015 at 12:22 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 07:35 AM

My icons fit as normal

'82 XV920: Soon to be tracker--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--'00 KLR685:adv
--'12 Super Ténéré
--'13 Versys (wifes other bike!)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 09:42 AM
BKP

Garage
Unless your riding jeans have Kevlar *throughout* as opposed to just a patch here and there, you're toast in an off... Lost most of the skin on one kneecap a couple months ago in standard knees, hips, and butt Kevlar jeans... They move, ride up, ride down, twist, etc., in a slide, with no guarantee the Kevlar will remain over the critical areas.

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
They move, ride up, ride down, twist, etc., in a slide, with no guarantee the Kevlar will remain over the critical areas.
I think that's probably the case with most everything short of a tailored, one piece leather suit. I wear suspenders on my riding pants to keep them in place. They work great for riding or walking around, but in the force of an accident, I'm sure the clips would pop right off and leave me bouncing down the road in my underwear.

Still, I feel best in riding pants. They do a great job of insulating legs from engine heat and bouncing road debris, and keeping legs dry. I find my body acclimates to any temperature fairly quickly, so being too hot has never been a problem for me.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
Unless your riding jeans have Kevlar *throughout* as opposed to just a patch here and there, you're toast in an off... Lost most of the skin on one kneecap a couple months ago in standard knees, hips, and butt Kevlar jeans... They move, ride up, ride down, twist, etc., in a slide, with no guarantee the Kevlar will remain over the critical areas.
That's why I like the Lean Angle jeans, fully kevlar lined.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I think you'll find that the rear pockets go so low to allow your stuff (wallet, etc) to ride LOWER than the seat so it doesn't 'work its way out', and disappear....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I think you'll find that the rear pockets go so low to allow your stuff (wallet, etc) to ride LOWER than the seat so it doesn't 'work its way out', and disappear....
When I was young and foolish I low-sided on an on-ramp slick of diesel fuel . Wearing skinny jeans was no help, but my leather wallet literally saved my arse. Spun around a few times with wallet taking the friction. Wore a hole half way through the wallet including a couple of bills, but I was happy that it was not my skin.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 09:15 AM

I just use kevlar liners.. My wife and I actually rode down to their store in Hickory NC and tried on about 10 different pair of jeans and they did not fit (exactly as the OP described). We ended up buying the liners and wear them under our normal jeans.

http://www.dragginjeans.com/mens-liners/
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 09:47 AM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I think that's probably the case with most everything short of a tailored, one piece leather suit...
This is true. Which is why I'm an advocate of Kevlar throughout. I now wear Draggin' Jeans' Kevlar "Draggin' Liners," under most anything I ride in (with the exception of some completely Cordura riding pants). Basically, they're full Kevlar long-johns, and much better odds of protection regardless of how the jeans move, twist, etc.
And, for those of you that have fortunately not been there... road rash isn't fun...

Edit: Looks like the Capn beat me to the endorsement, above...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I have the draggin liners too. My only real complaint with them is they insulate like long underwear so are uncomfortable in hot weather and the armor you can purchase separately with them is useless as it does not stay attached. Since I only wear motorcycle jeans in hotter weather this is a big negative factor.

I think motorcycle jeans are a nice supplement to motorcycle pants for commuting and city riding but not a direct replacement for them. I alternate between both. I prefer dedicated motorcycle pants (Olympia X-Moto in my case) for touring or rides, and especially in cooler weather, and motorcycle jeans for city riding and commuting on nice days.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The Kevlar doesn't tolerate UV very well. The protection degrades as they age. I consider Kevlar jeans minimal protection, and prefer the ones with knee armor.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 08:01 AM

What do you mean? These Bullit jeans fit perfectly! I could be on the cover of GQ!

j/k - I've got about 4 inches of white socks showing, and if the jeans rode up any higher you could see my shins. Great quality jeans though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg highres_441946952.jpg (23.9 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by Jim Nazium; 09-19-2015 at 02:13 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've been wearing Draggin' Jeans for the last month or so. They fit just fine, just like regular straight leg Levi's. I'm 5'10", 155lbs. They look normal even with the armor in them. Even my wife didn't notice anything different when I asked her how they looked. Draggin' are definitely cut exactly to size, so do measure your regular jeans for actual dimensions rather than relying on the label in them. My 33" waist Lee jeans measured out at 34", and the 34" Draggin's fit perfectly.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 08:02 AM

Haven't tried any of the motorcycle jeans but, my father in law wears them. To be honest, he looks like a hobo in them. They don't appear to fit well at all; baggy, poorly proportioned, and just don't seem to be conducive to a comfortable riding experience.
I'll stick with my trusty old Fieldsheer Mercury textile pants. Excellent fit, well armored, good venting, waterproof, removable thermal liner, and came in tall sizing. Otherwise, I wear my Wranglers with compression shorts underneath. I have also worn baseball sliding shorts under regular jeans in the past, as they have some padding on the hips and buttocks area. Very comfortable, and about $10-$12 at Academy Sports.

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
To be honest, he looks like a hobo in them.
Exactly why I don't wear them. Not to mention, they are cut so straight, they are not comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode