Back to a Full Face Helmet. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Back to a Full Face Helmet.

Got a new helmet yesterday. HJC RPS10 really sweet helmet it's quieter, less buffetting and of course safer then my old cheap open face. I got away from full face helmets years ago as my open face helmets were quieter and more comfortable but this one is sweet. I got it from the dealership I was working at till recently. The retail was $399 when new, my cost $200. They are available online for this price or less even. The RPS has been replaced by the RPHS or something like that but it's the same helmet. Super light and nice. This is the first higher end helmet I've owned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RPS10.jpg (12.0 KB, 96 views)

I spent most of my money on bikes, booze and broads. The rest I wasted.

I'd like to have a bad day, just to see what it feels like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 06:34 AM

Garage
When I was younger I came off a bike at high speed, after seeing the damage to my full face I have never worn a half a helmet again. And never will.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 07:15 AM

Seeing how statistically the chin is the most impact-prone part of the helmet, anything that doesn't protect it is not something I would wear on a motorcycle. Good choice going full-face.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 08:57 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
never use open faced. always full face or modular

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 09:09 AM

Yea I went down at 40mph once, the helmet had huge scrapes where my chin and cheek bones are... Open face helmet? No thanks..

Smart move and really nice helmet!
Bobby D. Drolet likes this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 09:10 AM

Garage
Nice new lid & good on ya for going back to a full face.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 10:35 AM

Garage
Modular is the best! Looks funny when it's open, but the added comfort and ease of use is awesome. My new Shoei modular is the best helmet I've owned yet.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantAntCowboy View Post
Yea I went down at 40mph once, the helmet had huge scrapes where my chin and cheek bones are... Open face helmet? No thanks..

Smart move and really nice helmet!
I don't think the open face are as dangerous as you might think. Your face is sunken back into it. I hit a deer broadside at ~ 60 mph last fall with one and it beat the hell out of the helmet all over it as I went bouncing down the road for quite a ways. Never touched my face. I'll bet if I had had a full face on, the chin bar would have suffered damage. The visor on mine was broken.
Bobby D. Drolet likes this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 01:37 PM

Garage
Nice lid

But higher end ... Not my definition of higher end

Arai, Suomi, BMW, Shoei, those are H.E. To me

But still nice helmet

LOP
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 02:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Nice lid

But higher end ... Not my definition of higher end

Arai, Suomi, BMW, Shoei, those are H.E. To me

But still nice helmet

LOP
I would agree on regular HJC helmets. However this series is a nice high end lid. Jorge Lorenzo wears it in MotoGP, as well as many other high level racers.

Next time I buy a lid, I plan on getting the touring version of it with a drop down visor.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I don't think the open face are as dangerous as you might think. Your face is sunken back into it. I hit a deer broadside at ~ 60 mph last fall with one and it beat the hell out of the helmet all over it as I went bouncing down the road for quite a ways. Never touched my face. I'll bet if I had had a full face on, the chin bar would have suffered damage. The visor on mine was broken.
Saddlebag has a good point. I been in a few lowsides and in a total wreck with an open face helmet and luckily never hit my face. I would have lost an ear in one slide if I didn't have a helmet on. All this was in the late 70's when I was bulletproof and also didn't know **** about riding. I'm sure full face helmets are safer, no doubt. What's even safer is don't turn the key.

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 04:28 PM

Garage
I'm working on convincing my Wife I "Need" a Schuberth C3 Pro Helmet, with the C3 Pro SRC System. Total around $1150. But I was selling her on " the C3 Pro is one of the quietest helmets in the world" So with the bluetooth SRC system we would be able to talk when I am riding... I think she might be leaning toward an approval..
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Don't agree that ones face is "sunken back into" an open face helmet. Statistically, the fact that over 35% of helmet impact occurs to the left and right side of the chin bar is enough for me to appreciate a full face version. You were fortunate when you hit your deer, very fortunate. I've been wearing full face helmets since the original Bell Star was introduced in the 60s, and I'll freely admit that I'd much rather have the chin bar suffer damage than my face. Unless I'm mistaken the fundamental idea is that the helmet take the abuse rather than ones head. I'm not clever enough to be able to plan an accident so that I won't hit my chin so I'll defer to the chin bar.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 06:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
well i know someone who was on vacation in itally... she thought screw renting a car its to much money ill rent a vespa and get to see more and save money.(she was a regular rider and did mini bike racing on a go cart track). all was good and fine on day one lots of fun loved the little vespa so she rented it the next day... after leaving the rental shop she was sitting at a light stopped and a car slammed into the back of her sending her face first onto the road were she slid maybe 20 feet. she was wearing an open face helmet (not a brain bucket a 3/4 open face helmet) and she lost most of her chin and jaw as well as part of her nose(and a boat load of other injuries). she has had over 20 plastic surgeries to try to peace her back together... so do to that i despise open face helmets. any time i see someone with one i tell them to get a full face befor they loose theres

yes im a guy.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
well i know someone who was on vacation in itally... she thought screw renting a car its to much money ill rent a vespa and get to see more and save money.(she was a regular rider and did mini bike racing on a go cart track). all was good and fine on day one lots of fun loved the little vespa so she rented it the next day... after leaving the rental shop she was sitting at a light stopped and a car slammed into the back of her sending her face first onto the road were she slid maybe 20 feet. she was wearing an open face helmet (not a brain bucket a 3/4 open face helmet) and she lost most of her chin and jaw as well as part of her nose(and a boat load of other injuries). she has had over 20 plastic surgeries to try to peace her back together... so do to that i despise open face helmets. any time i see someone with one i tell them to get a full face befor they loose theres
And people probably tell you to take a car "before you loose yours."

Helmet studies have been done and deaths usually turn out about 50/50 among those wearing them and those who don't.

Helmets are great at protecting your head from falling a few feet. Even in an accident where one slides a long way, their head only falls a few feet, it just does it over a long distance. If your head stops suddenly at a high rate of speed, it's over.

I don't disagree that full face helmets are safer than open face helmets. I just don't agree that it makes much difference in the long run. If you want maximum safety, buy an SUV.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 07:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
, buy an SUV.
actually SUV's are some of the unsafest vehicles due to there mass and also due to the fact they only have to meet truck safety standards......
and i dont own a vehicle just bikes....

yes im a guy.

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
I'm working on convincing my Wife I "Need" a Schuberth C3 Pro Helmet, with the C3 Pro SRC System. Total around $1150. But I was selling her on " the C3 Pro is one of the quietest helmets in the world" So with the bluetooth SRC system we would be able to talk when I am riding... I think she might be leaning toward an approval..
My wife would shoot that down quick. Not for the helmet but because she would have to listen to more of my bullsh*t. lol.

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
And people probably tell you to take a car "before you loose yours."

Helmet studies have been done and deaths usually turn out about 50/50 among those wearing them and those who don't.

Helmets are great at protecting your head from falling a few feet. Even in an accident where one slides a long way, their head only falls a few feet, it just does it over a long distance. If your head stops suddenly at a high rate of speed, it's over.

I don't disagree that full face helmets are safer than open face helmets. I just don't agree that it makes much difference in the long run. If you want maximum safety, buy an SUV.
This^^^^

Any protective covering you put on your body (chin bar) is likely to reduce any injuries you might get but it's probably not going to make the difference between living and dieing.
I place helmets with chin and face protection in the same category as armored jackets and pants and gloves, they aren't going to keep me from dieing but they will reduce the time and pain of recovery.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
This^^^^

Any protective covering you put on your body (chin bar) is likely to reduce any injuries you might get but it's probably not going to make the difference between living and dieing.
I place helmets with chin and face protection in the same category as armored jackets and pants and gloves, they aren't going to keep me from dieing but they will reduce the time and pain of recovery.
I normally wear gear as I like to ride aggressively. When I got in my accident last year, the only thing I had on was an open face helmet and sweats as I was just going to take a short ride around a country side block to dry off the bike after I washed it. The accident beat the hell out of me, but actually, the road rash never bothered me. I wish I had taken a picture of it as it was really gross as it healed. Made a big pile of rotted flesh and Silvadene.

The nurse said that road rash can be a lot worse than I had. I imagine that since I was mostly bouncing down the road rather than sliding, I got lucky on that front.

The worst secondary injury was the big toe on my good leg. I busted the nail off of it and it made it that much harder to use as a "good" leg. Tennis shoes were no where to be found when I came to a halt. That nail still hasn't grown back yet. It's probably healing better than the rest of me though. That kinda trauma is hard on old bones...

In any case, I think boots would have been the second most useful piece of gear to have had on that day.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

I am another HJC fan, I don't have a modular setup, those are sweet. I have a large noggin and fit/comfort are more important than how much I can/could/did spend on it. If it's a Bell that does not fit right, then I am not apt to grab it and go. I keep coming back to this flat black HJC with tribal flames or graphics on it. Been a good lid for me, although it sucks to dock in a new shield when one blows, I think they have simplified the mount system since.

I also found that one brands XXL might fit like another's mega-SMALL. A guy really needs to try em on. Mine has been with me about 45,000 miles on various bikes. At some point I suppose I will replace it based on age.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode