Gloves (rant) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Gloves (rant)

Anybody else have a hard time finding gloves that fit? Comfortably? I rode my first 3 weeks on the V with my dirt bike gloves, which feel great but offer little to no protection. After beginning to read Proficient Motorcycling I got a bit paranoid and picked up a decent leather jacket, and 2 pairs of leather riding gloves. Two pairs, because the first pair only began to hurt when I got home and wore them for a while.

I've also got a pair of gloves left over from a MC show from years ago that never broke in like the vendor promised (too small). Last year I sold a really sweet pair of Icon's to some dude in Australia, they were a tad tight as well. If I go by the fitting guide on the back of the package, I'm screwed, I need at least two sizes larger. I guess my hands are more fat and long than wide.

Yesterday I tried on every pair of leather gloves on at 2 bike shops. At this point, I'm thinking of heading over to the local Home Depot and just buying some leather work gloves. All those damn gel pads, grip pads and raised plastic crap on the fingers and knuckles make every pair of MC gloves hurt and blister after taking an actual ride with them. I don't need no stinkin padding in the palm, and the raised rubber crap on the fingers of my latest pair actually prevent the use of the clutch/brake with one finger only due to the raised crap on my fingers hitting the lever. Do the folks who build this stuff actually ride?

All I want is some tough, safe simple leather gloves......

Home Depot...here I come (unless anybody has some advice)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 12:02 AM

I'll second the call for info on gloves!

My first and only pair thus far has lasted about two months and they're falling apart. They're by Frank Thomas and have the carbon fiber knuckles. The velcro is pretty much toast, and a couple of seams are starting to separate. I didn't think they'd fall apart so fast when they're mostly in one curved position...

Anyways, they're made in Pakistan and only $40, so I guess I got the results for going cheap!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:13 AM

I wear these and I have no complaints what-so-ever. ALPINESTARS SMX-2 Air Carbon Motorcycle Gloves (#107887) from cyclegear.com. You have 7 days to decide if you like them or not.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...337_G&tier2=24
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SMX2_BLK_310x310.jpg (16.9 KB, 97 views)

I can't help I am not on of the Sheeple.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 03:20 AM
Bob

I bought me a pair of these yesterday.
Will let you know how they work out.

RST-348 Armed RS Leather Mesh Gloves
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rst348.jpg (23.2 KB, 140 views)

08' Diablo Black Kawasaki Verys
98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

Work hard, play harder. --Bob
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:34 PM

Try these folks. They have excellent gear, including gloves. They don't focus so much on style as they do on function:

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/index.html

Red
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
Try these folks. They have excellent gear, including gloves. They don't focus so much on style as they do on function:

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/index.html

Red
Thanks for that link, the deerskin gloves look like what I was looking for. I've already ordered (I know I know) another pair last night from NewEnough. If those don't work out I'll look more into Aeorstich.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Well folks, I took a chance and ordered a set of 2XL TiMax long cuff gloves from Icon. At first the left glove was SUPER tight, in fact, it looks like the two gloves were made by different people as the right glove is PERFECT and the left has a few funky sewing mistakes.

I hung in there and kept wearing the gloves and they're breaking in nicely. Actually the right glove is spot on, the left is still a bit too tight but it's coming around.

I'd just like to give a shout out to Newenough. They're prices are great, I saved $70 on the gloves, and I picked up a SWEET leather jacket for wifey at a savings of $200! If you're looking for gear, and know what will fit, newenough.com has some great deals.

Luke

Last edited by Lukejt; 08-05-2008 at 07:24 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 PM

Have you looked at the Joe Rocket Sonic Gloves?

I can speak from experience on these gloves: they're comfortable, fit well, and they PROTECT.

Just a suggestion. The only downside I saw to the was that the velcro closure on the bottom would sometimes begin to peel away at highway speeds, but they never came undone and they stayed firmly in place when I laid down my baby.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

JR Sonic, I actually bought a pair and they hurt my hands at my knuckles, size 2xl. Returned them. The armor piece wasn't wide enough to cover my knuckles and it dug in on either side and hurt like hell. They were returned.....
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukejt View Post
JR Sonic, I actually bought a pair and they hurt my hands at my knuckles, size 2xl. Returned them. The armor piece wasn't wide enough to cover my knuckles and it dug in on either side and hurt like hell. They were returned.....
Yeah, I wouldhave done the same thing if I had to deal with that. Good luck with your quest!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 AM

If you want cheap gloves that fit, try the Cortech (by Tourmaster) HDX gloves, or the Icon Arc gloves......both fit very well.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 AM

I wear these: http://sporttour.com/motorcycle-appa...ure_Glove.html

Marsee Adventure Gloves. This is the only piece of equipment that I have not upgraded since I got into motorcycling. I've tried other gloves and I just keep going back to these. They are comfortable, reduce the vibration (how I don't know since they don't have gell pads or anthing like that) and non restrictive. Recently I tried a pair of Icon mesh gloves, they were too tight, didn't help with any vibrations and when it rained they shriveled up and stained my hands black.

These do get a bit hot in the summer but I found if I roll the coughs up - that they cool down nicely.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 03:45 PM

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/prod...tid=261&cat=29

I've been wearing these for a couple of months. They started out tight but now they're pretty good. The protection seems satisfactory. I did try NUMEROUS kinds of gloves and my main conclusion is that sizing is completely random. I normally wear a medium as my hands are pretty small but some brands required me to go with a XXL!!!

Doug

2008 Versys
2008 Yamaha Vino 125
1980 Honda Z50 (2)
1970 Suzuki 250 Savage
1973 Suzuki TM-125
1973 Honda QA50
1970 Honda NC50 MiniTrail
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Just FYI, the second set of gloves that I returned were made (or marketed) by Triumph. They looked and felt really nice, but there are two MAJOR flaws. I rode with these gloves for 90 miles or so, and learned that the stupid plastic guards on each segment of each finger actually prevented comfortable one finger clutch or brake use. The damn pads were so thick, they got in the way of the lever when pulled in. In other words, the Triumph motorcycle gloves I tired are not safe for use on a bike! Second flaw, the seams began to hurt like heck after a short ride. Luckily the dealer took them back. Just an FYI, don't buy the Triumph gloves with the plastic guard dohicky on each finger segment.

Luke
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:53 PM

Hello
I have hands that are shaped strange i have large palms short fingers and an overdeveloped muscle in the palm near my thumb. The only glove i found that a ok for me is icon pursuits. I have two pain one is full leather which broke in well after about 1000 miles or ride time. the new ones are perforated for when it is warm out. They are shorties but work ok for me the only downside is the wierd tan i seem to have that stops at my wrist. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode