Helmet - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Helmet

I bought a modular helmet and today when I went to clean the bugs off of it a screw and a grommet fell out. Upon inspection I found that the left latching post had broken. See pictures. It's a Fulmer. They have metal latching hooks which I thought was a good thing. This may be worthless info. I just thought I would pass this on if anyone else wears a modular or flip up. My helmet will not latch now, I have to get another on. Solid this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ebay 014.jpg (537.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Ebay 015.jpg (617.6 KB, 98 views)

I can't help I am not on of the Sheeple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 11:31 PM

well that sucks !! i hope your dealer stands behind there product ? How did you like your modular helmet otherwise? I bought one but and like the fit and all but .i do find it a little on the noisy side so i went a spent some more molaa on a hjc bucket , and man what a difference
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 AM

As convenient as a modular helmet would be. I steer clear of them because I haven't seen anything showing that they offer proper chin protection... and as you can see by the attached diagram (taken from Proficient Motorcycling, David Hough), roughly 35% of impacts to the head of a motorcycle rider come to the chin area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helmetDamage.jpg (32.6 KB, 90 views)

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 11:21 AM

I don't like the idea of a modular helmet either. IMO, a hinge is just one more thing that can fail during a crash.

This is a interesting read. It's purely anecdotal so I don't consider it to be evidence that all modular helmets suck. It's good to think about though.

EDIT: I fogot to mention that what I linked to is an account from 2004, mod helmets may be designed differently now.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

I love having a modular helmet. Its like turning on the A/C when I'm stopped at a light. Its easier to take on & off. I like it a lot....

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 04:59 PM

Yeah, I can definitely see the benefits. It's just that I've been through life on looks alone and can't afford to risk my meal ticket. Youknowwhatimsaying?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 05:54 PM

I tried a modular helmet at one time as well. Although it has it's benefits, I returned to a solid full face. My latch also malfunctioned and in addition, I found the extra weight and noise of the modular to cause more fatigue.

During the summer I often wear my MX helmet as it is provides great ventilation, noisy though. The ear plugs come out on any trips longer than a few miles.

Cheers,

Zeniac

"Motorcyclists know why dogs hang their heads out of car windows"
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeniac View Post
I tried a modular helmet at one time as well. Although it has it's benefits, I returned to a solid full face. My latch also malfunctioned and in addition, I found the extra weight and noise of the modular to cause more fatigue.

During the summer I often wear my MX helmet as it is provides great ventilation, noisy though. The ear plugs come out on any trips longer than a few miles.

Cheers,
I'll give you that, they are noisy & heavy. I've had my helmet for almost 3 years. The latch works, but the vent scoops are all gone. I guess the bugs ARE bigger in Tx...

I've had my eye on a full face helmet from Akuma, but hear the are working on a flip face & its supposed to be out this fall. I'm waiting to see if that's true. If not, I'll probably go with the full face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugerider View Post
Yeah, I can definitely see the benefits. It's just that I've been through life on looks alone and can't afford to risk my meal ticket. Youknowwhatimsaying?

I understand completely brother, though I don't have that problem.

Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 07-16-2008 at 07:42 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

I emailed Fulmer with the images. Talk about quick. They are giving me a return authorization so they can check the helmet. They think it could have been defective. I like the modular helmets. Fulmer is the only company that have the metal latches, so that's a plus. It is loud and after doing some reading, people can actually lose some of their hearing because of just the wind noise. So that is not so good. But the helmet itself is convenient, especially when you make a quick stop at the store. Just flip it open so people can see your face without removing it. It set the clerks at the "Stop and Robs" at ease. And yes, it is great to flip up when your stuck in traffic. I will let you know how Fulmer deals with this situation though. They may lose or keep a customer.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 09:23 PM

I have a Vega modular, which is actually not all that noisy, but then again, it's fairly new. I would gladly have gone with a solid full face helmet when I bought the Vega, but I found that I couldn't get my eyeglasses on with any of the one piece jobs. I wear glasses half the time, usually on work days, and contacts the other half of the time, and I wanted one helmet to work for both.

I have since tried on a fairly expensive and great quality Arai helmet and found that I could just squeeze my glasses through the face opening. When I can save up the cash, or take out a second mortgage on the house I may get one!

Jeff
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogdaddy View Post
I have since tried on a fairly expensive and great quality Arai helmet and found that I could just squeeze my glasses through the face opening. When I can save up the cash, or take out a second mortgage on the house I may get one!
I had a Arai helmet in the past and absolutely loved it. It fit well, was very quiet and extremely light. I am using a HJC full face at present, it's a little noisy and heavier than the Arai, but the price is hard to beat.

When I get a few extra pesos together I'd like to try the dual sport Arai that's out.

Zeniac

"Motorcyclists know why dogs hang their heads out of car windows"
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeniac View Post
I had a Arai helmet in the past and absolutely loved it. It fit well, was very quiet and extremely light. I am using a HJC full face at present, it's a little noisy and heavier than the Arai, but the price is hard to beat.

When I get a few extra pesos together I'd like to try the dual sport Arai that's out.
That is exactly the one that I tried on and fell in love with! It was also the only full face helmet to date I've been able to get my glasses on with the helmet...and I love the overhanging visor to keep the sun out-kinda like wearing a baseball cap and a helmet at the same time. I believe it's the XD3 or something close to that.

Jeff
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 06:10 AM

I wear glasses and use a Shoei RF-1000. I hate having to take my glasses off to get the helmet on/off, but it is easy to get them on/off once the helmet is in place. At a stop I just flip up the shield and in comes the air. At low speeds or if it fogs it is easy to open one notch. I thought about the modular helmets, but I am also concerned about chin protection, as jaw bone fractures are a bitch. Never had one, but know several people that have.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugerider View Post

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 07:57 AM

I currently have an HJC AC-12. It's a fullface helmet and offers amazing features and a great price. It's also available in Carbon Fiber if you prefer. HJC is known for their attention to detail and excellent customer service. I highly reccomend you check them out.

Skeezix

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbum View Post
I emailed Fulmer with the images. Talk about quick. They are giving me a return authorization so they can check the helmet. They think it could have been defective. I like the modular helmets. Fulmer is the only company that have the metal latches, so that's a plus. It is loud and after doing some reading, people can actually lose some of their hearing because of just the wind noise. So that is not so good. But the helmet itself is convenient, especially when you make a quick stop at the store. Just flip it open so people can see your face without removing it. It set the clerks at the "Stop and Robs" at ease. And yes, it is great to flip up when your stuck in traffic. I will let you know how Fulmer deals with this situation though. They may lose or keep a customer.

So far so good. At least the acknowledged your problem right away & are working with you.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 07:13 PM

I have a KBC modular and I really like it. I have a different problem-getting this enormous orb that I call a head into most full face helmets- it just ain't happening! The few that I could get into fit badly in other ways.

Ed
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

I spoke to the Fulmer folks via phone and received a return authoriztion number. I am going to send it to them so that they can inspect it. The helmet is the M1. They said that they are probably going to replace it as long as it's defect. I am wondering how it couldn't be a defect, I don't shoot hoops with it. So far so good though. I have a new helmet on the way. So I'll send this one back once my new one comes in. I do like the modular, but I will probably, once its replaced, only have it as a backup. Will keep everyone updated as to what they say about it.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbum View Post
Just a minor correction: Fullmer is not the only mfg to use all metal latch points. My KBC FFC modular shares the same benefit... and it has yet to break in over a year of use! It is, however heavy.

"Living the Dream... One Day at a Time"
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Got the new lid today. Now, I can send the Fulmer back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motorcycle 006.jpg (613.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Motorcycle 005.jpg (523.6 KB, 71 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode