Oxford Sport Saddlebags - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Oxford Sport Saddlebags

I recently purchased a set of soft saddlebags, made by oxford. If your looking for an incredible amount of space then these are the bags your looking for. I bought them used, but used only once supposedly. I have a few pics attached with my full face helmet stored inside, with plenty more room. They come with rain covers and carrying straps, and many many ways to attach them to your ride. I have them expanded but they zip up smaller. Haven't taken them for a big trip yet, though I have one coming up in a few weeks. I plan to use a waterproof roll top duffel bag as a tail bag in conjunction with the oxfords . Its a 50L bag made by Chinook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versys_oxfords.JPG (265.5 KB, 801 views)
File Type: jpg versys_oxfords_helmet.JPG (174.6 KB, 546 views)

"A coward dies a thousand deaths...a soldier dies but once." (Tupac Shakur)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 PM

I've got the sames bags...in BLUE (I bought them to match my old Ninja 650)! Perhaps we could arrange a trade! Seriously, though, I love Oxford bags...quality stuff!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 09:39 PM

They sure look massive. How small are they when you zip them up? I love big bags when I need them, but on most days they just get in the way.

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

They are pretty big, my wife has her own bike so I rarely ride 2 up, but I suspect that the bags would get in the way. Here is a link that gives the dimensions of the bags:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...-saddlebag.htm

I haven't got to this part of the book 'Dreaming of Jupiter', but supposedly during this guys second trip around the world, he broke his ankle do to the hard bags he was using. It was recommend to me by a bike dealer to get soft bags for that reason. I love the look of hard bags, but these are very functional.

"A coward dies a thousand deaths...a soldier dies but once." (Tupac Shakur)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 09:08 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Steve08
I picked up a set of Wolfman soft bags (made in Colorado) for end of summer clearance price of measly $50. They are about 35 liters capacity each. Attachment very simple and fast, but kind of hang tilted under the seat a little. Did a 450 mile run the next day. Loaded them up with car parts and rain gear and still had a bunch of room. This week I'm going to fabricate a metal hoop for the bike to hold them out so they hang straight down. I'll upload pics when I get that done. After that, I've got a great idea for some highway pegs that will bolt to the frame next to the engine and extend down and forward for some leg stretchin' room. Love my bike, hate the stock seat. Not happy with my new Corbin seat that doesn't fit either, but tomorrow I can call them to try and get THAT resolved. Hard bags $450 plus mounting kit. Soft bags on sale $50 plus tax. Not much decision making there. I love the looks of hard bags on the Versys and on my Road King, but I just saved over $500.

- Steve

08 VerSys - Last Bike Standing
96 Road King - Gone!
75 R60/6 - Gone!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 03:42 PM

I've got th same Oxford bags, along with a Givi E470 Topbox, great combination IMHO.

I initially had the same issue with the bags interfering with the pillion seating, but managed to mount them a little higher and further back and by changing the angle obviate the problem.

I also managed to get the straps under the seat, which makes for a neater instalation, I think. See pics

If anyone is interested, I installed some crash bobbins as an alternative to bars. They are for the ER6N, but fit fine with minor mods. Does a good job of protecting the radiator cowling, which I've had to spray once already... and of course makes good sense in the event your leg gets trapped under the bike.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1526.JPG (206.6 KB, 550 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1529.JPG (242.9 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1527.JPG (243.9 KB, 343 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode