lets talk boots. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

lets talk boots.

hey guys, so I've always ridden in heavy all leather work boots even had a pretty nasty high side a while back and walked away with just a mild sprain in one ankle. I'm thinking I'd like to pick up a pair of dedicated riding boots. I'm looking at some of the 3/4 height boots, really liking the look of the speed and strength full battle rattle boots. my question for you guys is am I looking at any meaningful increase in safety/protection for my feet/ankles with 3/4 motorcycle boots as opposed the heavy leather work boots I usually wear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:40 PM

I have several pairs of dedicated riding boots but the pair I like most is from Bates. They're called Ultralights and they're officially " tactical" boots. Translation: police/military footwear. They are very comfortable and extremely light but offer very good protection. They are not, however, cheap but then it's a case of getting what you pay for. Even though they're not motorcycle boots they make a first class riding boot.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
my question for you guys is am I looking at any meaningful increase in safety/protection for my feet/ankles with 3/4 motorcycle boots as opposed the heavy leather work boots I usually wear?
Yes, you will get more protection.
Your work boots are far and away better than running shoes or - shudder - sandals and flip flops! But to go from work boots to riding boots should add a solid but more managable toe which will making shifting better. They will also add more rigid ankle support, likely with some armour and/or sliders on the outer ankle. And if you go with 3/4 or higher boots they will likely have a good armour plate for the front of your leg/shin bone.

Always trust your cape.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:18 AM

For years I rode with a pair of Red Wing steel toe 11" pull on boots. They saved my feet in more than one crash. The last time, the medics had to cut them off. No ankle support and no protection other than the very heavy leather and steel toe/shank but they were effective. Now I ride with an Alpine Star touring boot that is very comfortable and has less actual foot protection but better ankle and shin protection. They are getting quite old now. Aerostich Combat Lite Boots are next:
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-c...-boots-20.html

I'm no diplomat
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
And if you go with 3/4 or higher boots they will likely have a good armour plate for the front of your leg/shin bone.
I wasn't sure what a 3/4 boot was. When I Googled it, it showed a bunch of pictures of ankle boots. Not gonna do much for the shins.

The biggest problem I see with the pint sized boots of any description is they appear to come off too easily. When I wrecked last fall I was in tennis shoes until I hit the animal at which point I apparently went barefoot. After 5 months, my left big toe now has a 3/4 toenail on it.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 02:06 PM

Love my Oxtars, but it's time...

I got my Oxtar Matrix boots some time before September of 2008. I remember the date because at one point I was standing ankle deep in water waiting for the Indy MotoGP race to start. They kept me dry for that entire day and have lasted extremely well, but by last fall it seemed like the Goretex was finally breaking down, as they started letting in a little moisture.

I would buy another pair, but don't think that they are manufactured anymore (at least not under that name). They've been comfortable to ride in, and pretty decent for all-day wear while walking (see above).
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 02:29 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Ok maybe not the "safest" footwear but it matches my theme
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1428434895755.jpg (82.5 KB, 120 views)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 02:36 PM

As well as abrasion and impact protection, a good pair of moto boots is designed to protect your foot from rotational forces. It doesn't take much for you to snap your ankle like a twig, I saw someone do it from a standstill while playing soccer (wearing cleats in deep astroturf, they turned but their foot didn't ). The very next day I bought my first pair proper boots.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 03:02 PM

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...8RUaAi6z8P8HAQ

These are kinda overkill, but they are what I ride with. Fully waterproof, super comfy (wide feet compatible!), flexible and a gum-sole so I can actually bend my foot and keep taller bikes like the V upright at a stop. (Short legs)

I think you should definitely get full height boots. Partly for the shin protection and partly so they will actually stay on in a crash. Also, from what I've noticed, the 3/4 tend to not really have any protective features like plastic inserts or braces.

Last edited by Coyote-Morado; 04-07-2015 at 03:04 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 07:17 AM

I bought a pair of TCX X-Desert Boots a few weeks ago. They're comfortable on the bike but not really great for walking around in.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 08:14 AM

Garage
With race type boots you get a thin stiff sole which offers a significant increase in rear brake feel and shifting dexterity. Motorcycle boot soles do not extend out the sides like street shoes so they won't catch on pavement as easily. They also have a rigid sole from the heel to just behind the ball of the foot to avoid pressure when you stand on the pegs. There is also a plastic heel and toe box to protect both and hard parts to protect the ankle and most also include shin protection too.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-08-2015 at 08:31 AM.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Yes, but you can point your toes to reach the ground in 3/4s, you (I) cannot do this with full height boots. I'm a 32" inseam, and cannot flatfoot the V. The one feature I like about the 3/4 Tech 2 is the cutout in the back to enable toe movement and (for me) reaching the ground.
I have a 30" inseam and handle the V just fine with my full height boots. Boot construction varies wildly. Cheap AplineStar boots may as well be plaster casts. I tied to wear boots like that when I first got into riding but gave up on them quickly. Nicer boots will have more thoughtful construction, nicer materials that allow you to flex and even jointed hinges in the boot. I have almost full movement range in my Gaernes. My point is though, that you shouldn't write off the protective benefit of a full height boot just because some of them totally suck. Find one that works for you as I'm sure there is one out there.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 08:44 PM

You don't need 'em till you need 'em. It's all about your risk tolerance. I ride with regular work boots (when I'm not wearing Silvie's specialty slipper-boots that allow for special aerodynamics due to the little ears! ).
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

I ended up picking up a pair of TCX X-spuared plus boots. took out for on the bike for the first time today. they're awesome.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 11:01 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdawg View Post
You don't need 'em till you need 'em. It's all about your risk tolerance. I ride with regular work boots (when I'm not wearing Silvie's specialty slipper-boots that allow for special aerodynamics due to the little ears! ).
i actually ride wearing response gear tactical jungle boots (army boots) the slippers were a joke (tho i have been known to wear them when just moving the bikes around and they are super aero i get an extra 15mph on the top speed xD) tho at the same time in the past i was known for riding my cafe bike around at top speed with just shorts , tank top, and prison shoes on (super squid AKA young and dumb). but again your right its all about the you need them when you need them and your sad if you dont have them then...

my personal opinion is if your going to get boots for riding make sure you can still walk in them without killing yourself..... bikes brake down and some times you have to walk or more commonly you dont wanna have to be female and change your foot wear for every task

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 07:03 PM
djg

I have a bunch of boots, I mostly wear my old Sidi Discovery boots. They are lacking in ankle protection. I have a pair of Sidi Vortex offroad boots. They have serious ankle protection and are very stiff in the ankle. Shifting is well, different. I have a pair of Aerostich combat boots, made by Sidi. They are both very stiff and lacking in real ankle protection. Very cool though.

The Discos offer reasonable protection and other riders think they are overkill motocross boots. I have some other boots too.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 08:27 AM
djg

Look how similar these vintage Sidi boots are to the current Aerostich Combat model. Old motocross boots are cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vintage sidi 1.jpg (51.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg vintage sidi 2.jpg (48.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg vintage sidi 3.jpg (54.7 KB, 83 views)
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 09:13 AM

Garage
I have began to keep my eye on atomic motos clearance. Just snagged a pair of Forma Majestics for $85. Seems like a good place for me to start, as these are my first dedicated riding boots. Seems to be a mid level boot, for an entry level price.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 07:54 PM

I'd like to echo Coyote-Morado's sentiments about the Gaerne Balance boots. I have a pair of the Balance Classics, and they're wonderful boots. Comfortable, still plenty of feel on controls, and great support. Absolutely love them; highly recommended!

Best,
Andy

2009 Kawasaki Versys -- Lovin' it!
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 08:55 PM

I'm not a fan of the bates just on looks. The big chunky soles would seem clunky on the footpegs. I like riding boots with smooth soles.

I just talked with Eric down at the big boys toys yesterday about boots. Some guy wanted to pass on these boots he ordered for him because they had zippers. First of all, do your research then, fool! But We laughed because Our zippers have lasted a long time, and if they fail.. then just dont zip them!

Well, today of all days, I got to work and my zipper broke right off. Icon Reign. Otherwise 2 seasons of comfy waterproof boots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode