Winter Barkdusters - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Winter Barkdusters

mighty cold out there these days..well in some parts of the country/world...in my search for warmer hands (beyond heated gloves or glove liners) I found these puppies...they are on my list of must have...

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/blizz...FUdefgodGbQA3w

a reviewer on Revzilla said they took 30 minutes to install on his Versys...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 10:15 PM

Garage
Save yourself some money...Heres what i use.....http://www.amazon.com/Quadboss-ATV-Hand-Mitts-BLACK/dp/B0064RJM7A/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420431257&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=quad+boss+tav+mitts

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 11:38 PM

Garage
I took Joe's advice. Got mine as Christmas gift. I have hand guards. These fit over them. I have to create a new Ipod/garage button remote, then will give them a test ride. Feed back coming soon.....

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 11:53 PM

Garage
Went out friday with my buddy and his wife. He was still breaking in his new road king. Temps started off at 40 degrees and averaged 54 degrees later in the ride. The Mitts with thin gloves worked better that my $145.00 winter gloves.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

I've got Gordon's Heated Clothing gloves ( made in the USA )...they work great all by themselves in the 40's...in the 30's my finger tips start getting cold..in the 20's (high 20's..25 and above) I was just glad to have them on...this was riding up and down a freeway at 60 mph and above...Having worn mittens similar to Weljo's on my kayak paddle back in the day (in the middle of winter on some very cold water) I have no doubts that mitts like that will be a GREAT cheaper alternative...just butt assed ugly is all...

Last edited by chadams66; 01-05-2015 at 01:14 AM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
I took Joe's advice. Got mine as Christmas gift. I have hand guards. These fit over them. I have to create a new Ipod/garage button remote, then will give them a test ride. Feed back coming soon.....
Besides the very slight difficulty slipping your hands in and out when actually riding..I'm willing to bet 10 bucks "you loved them"...not being sarcastic either...

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 10:29 AM

I wonder if you can use these on top of bark busters?

2013 Kawasaki Versys- Blue/Black
2014 Honda Grom- Red/Black
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Blue/Black
2012 Kawasaki KLX250s Red/Black
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obijack View Post
I wonder if you can use these on top of bark busters?
they can be mounted "Over existing aluminum handguard backbones"...

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Went out friday with my buddy and his wife. He was still breaking in his new road king. Temps started off at 40 degrees and averaged 54 degrees later in the ride. The Mitts with thin gloves worked better that my $145.00 winter gloves.
Joe,

Do you ride with mitts in SO CA?
You'll be easy to spot on the road!

Heated grips and hand shields is all I think is required, but I don't ride in salty road conditions either (that's suicide!) But for the dollar, for heat only, the mitts can't be beat. Even though, ha ha.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 11:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Joe,

Do you ride with mitts in SO CA?
You'll be easy to spot on the road!

Heated grips and hand shields is all I think is required, but I don't ride in salty road conditions either (that's suicide!) But for the dollar, for heat only, the mitts can't be beat. Even though, ha ha.

Had hand guards on the Versys they didn't do much for the wind.The heated grips only keep your palms warm. Used the mitts on the 2nd.of this month with thin mechanic gloves and was nice and warm with the temps starting at 40 degrees.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 12:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
...just butt assed ugly is all...

It is winter after all, anybody who's still on the road isn't trying to win a beauty contest...
Saltbuck likes this.

Luck favors the prepared.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 01:51 PM

I tried those mitt things and hated them. Finally have a bark buster, heated grip, decent glove combo that works.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 02:19 PM

One thing I found out from some sorry heated grips, was the 1" dia grips DID relieve my palm circulation enough to where I did not get cramps!

So if you are getting palm sweats from your mitts, you might not need it so warm. Most Vs. riders should have large 1" dia grip size too if they can touch the ground at redlights
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-man View Post
It is winter after all, anybody who's still on the road isn't trying to win a beauty contest...
But Winter is the only hope I have of winning a beauty contest, because I'm generally the only contestant.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
lol..those are summer time temps around here..and time to break out the ventilated gloves...

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 05:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
lol..those are summer time temps around here..and time to break out the ventilated gloves...

Well i still have the heated grips when needed.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 08:55 AM

better alternative

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A37XXUG3ZCSOX0

Notes from user (me) :

they fit over my burkbusters, easy to operate.
they are a blessing in the rain.
if you have heated grips you do not need winter gloves...

you are welcome
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 09:10 AM

Any concerns about having your hands "trapped"?
Having never tried them, I think I'm concerned about not having the ability to quickly remove my hands from the bars if needed. Not sure what the circumstances might be but maybe a bike or gear malfunction or an accident where you would want to separate yourself from the bike or a situation where you might have to remove your hand from the controls and then regrip them.
I don't know, I'm not sure if that's a valid concern or not.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Any concerns about having your hands "trapped"?
Having never tried them, I think I'm concerned about not having the ability to quickly remove my hands from the bars if needed. Not sure what the circumstances might be but maybe a bike or gear malfunction or an accident where you would want to separate yourself from the bike or a situation where you might have to remove your hand from the controls and then regrip them.
I don't know, I'm not sure if that's a valid concern or not.
There is plenty of space between the bark busters and the handle bar for you to easily move your hand. I had them on all my MX bikes because its like having a roll cage for my hands. I was never the best rider so I spent a lot of time hitting the ground and never had a problem with them.

Even the ones without the metal bar aren't that bad because if you get your hand squashed between the ground and the handlebars the plastic disperses the force across your hole hand and not just one finger. I really do believe that bark busters have saved my fingers hundreds of times.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarshread View Post
There is plenty of space between the bark busters and the handle bar for you to easily move your hand. I had them on all my MX bikes because its like having a roll cage for my hands. I was never the best rider so I spent a lot of time hitting the ground and never had a problem with them.

Even the ones without the metal bar aren't that bad because if you get your hand squashed between the ground and the handlebars the plastic disperses the force across your hole hand and not just one finger. I really do believe that bark busters have saved my fingers hundreds of times.
I think we a re talking about two different things. I thought it was about "Barkdusters (ie the mitts that go over your hands, arms and handlebars). If I'm wrong, I apologize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode