Best Winter Gloves? ? ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Best Winter Gloves? ? ?

For most of the year I use a pair of Alpinestars SP2's, Which I love and adore. However, when it gets properly cold, I haven't found a good winter option. I'm running Barkbusters and just bought some cheap heated grips which I haven't put on yet.

I was sold by an online company (the one starting with a Rev) the Held Air & Dry's. I tried them out for a while and was generally unimpressed. They were to warm in the "summer" chamber and way to cold when using the goretex chamber and I lost a lot of feel because of all the material between my hands and the bike.

At the moment I'm using the Alpinestars C-1 Windstoppers. They feel great on cooler days but don't cut it in the cold, the short cuff makes for cold wrists, and honestly seem quite unprotected.

So I'm wondering what others are using and how they feel. I don't mind dropping money on gloves I'm just fed up with being unsatisfied. Anyone tried the Alpinestars Apex Drystars?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Tourmaster polar tex. Warm and flexible, but not much crash protection.

Alpinestar jet Gore-tex. Keep the wind out and work well with heated grips.

Sliders Kevlar cold weather gloves. Kind of like the Alpinestar gloves at a fraction of the price, but not "Gore-tex" waterproof.

Tourmaster Synergy heated gloves. Use with heated grips for those days when it doesn't get much above freezing.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:54 PM

The best winter gloves are mittens.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I just bought a pair of Gordon's heated gloves...made in america was a big selling point...not much in the way of protection..but they are nice and warm (I haven't even turned them all the way up yet)...as with any winter glove they are thicker than summer gloves..the layer of thinsulate adds to that...the only heated winter gloves with "protection" I know of are the Firstgear and Venture Carbon gloves..neither of which I have had any experience with...heated gear is heaven sent...

http://gordonsheated.com/heated_gloves.html

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
When needed i use these. Have been very happy with them http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RM0SE6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews .. I paid $124.00 for them in Dec,2013 I wear XL in all my gloves but a Large in this glove was perfect.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 07:05 AM

or install the heated grips, and use the gloves you already have, and install some grip puppies/hippo hands/grip windsocks, etc
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 10:28 AM

Heated gloves and heated jacket liner...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I use these "Fieldsheer" gloves w/ those little wool gloves (that look like kids' gloves) that stretch to fit, inside. The gloves are leather w/ padding around the wrists, heel of the palms, back of the hands as well as knuckles, and are 'gauntlets', so go over the cuffs keeping cold air OUT, as well as two velcro closures per glove, and suede in the palms!

Had them for several years, and REALLY like 'em...!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC171126.jpg (76.4 KB, 100 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 12:19 PM

After many years of trying to "layer" glove liners and gloves (once even tried a pair of big rubber chemical gloves OVER a cotton glove AND a thin glove liner) I finally bought a pair of First Gear electric gloves from Cycle Gear for around $120 (It's been about 4 years now) What a positive difference. I should have bought them a long time ago. It makes riding in cold weather so much more enjoyable. Mine have 3 settings - low, medium and high - and have proven to be reliable. I've read some comments about them not being waterproof - couldn't testify to that - cold is one thing - cold and wet - no thanks!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great feedback guys! I have a feeling I have to break down and get heated gloves. can anyone tell me what they fit like? my hands run on the long fingered skinny side.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have a set of these...http://www.amazon.com/Quadboss-ATV-Hand-Mitts-BLACK/dp/B0064RJM7A/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1418940258&sr=8-9&keywords=atv+mitts .That i use on really cold or wet days. Keeps the wind and rain off your hands and can use summer gloves most winter days with them on....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 08:06 PM

My cold weather gloves are Warm n Safe electric gloves. Along with heated grips I'm OK at freeway speeds in the mid 20s F. In those conditions, my hands are not so much warm as both hot and cold. The Versys has hand guards and my other bike doesn't--at freeway speeds the hand guards seem to be good for about one position on my 5-position heated grips.

For warmer times I'm not going electric, Racer Multitops work pretty well for me--I have a "windshield wiper" from the aerostich store I slip on the thumb in wet conditions. The warm n safe gloves have a built in wiper.

Before I went electric I used Tourmaster Winter Elite for the coldest weather. Pretty warm for unheated gloves (especially with the built in lobster-claw rain cover deployed), but they're bulky and I find it tiring to ride with bulky gloves.

If I had to go with a non-electric cold weather glove now I'd look pretty hard at the current model of BMW Pro Winter gloves.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarshread View Post
can anyone tell me what they fit like? my hands run on the long fingered skinny side.
Mine too. My unheated XL Racer Multitop gloves fit me better than my electric XL Warm n Safe gloves. The thumb is a little short on the racers, and the gloves have a snug fit. The Warm n safe seems to be more short/loose fitting. It's possible I should have looked at Gerbings electric gloves more closely. Warm n Safe offered the thinnest heated glove I found (which is why I need to use heated grips with them on cold days), and they have hard armor (which I thought was a good thing, though I see now that it's controversial).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode