Summer Gear for Commuting - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Summer Gear for Commuting

Hey!

I am looking for some input on commuting gear. I'll be commuting on the V this spring / summer and am looking to pick out some new gear.

I'm a little torn between getting some vented over pants or riding jeans.

I have pretty much decided on the REV'IT GT-R air jacket but still a little torn on pants.

I'll be commuting to school so I won't have an office to store my gear. I have a top case for storage. This is where my descision on pants comes in. If I get the jeans I can wear them all day and not need storage, but I know I'll get really tired of wearing pants all day.

Any feedback on what pants others have tried for the heat is welcome or tips to fix all my gear storage problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 08:04 PM

I would suggest the overpants (they go over your jeans after all)..and overpants that have some sort of protection built in..the knee area at a minimum...if you decide that jeans are good enough..I would suggest getting some sort of knee/shin protectors (I wear mine under the jeans..but then I'm skinny enough to do so)...boots that have shin protectors are a good investment..though not a walk around in all day option in most cases...the Versys has oddly placed footpegs..and in the occasion of a crash or drop your shins are very vulnerable...in the long run..you dress for the crash..not the ride...your jacket will have armor..the rest of your body deserves the same...

ATGATT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 05:55 AM

Garage
Riding jeans with kevlar and knee armor are great while riding, but can be warm while walking around during the summer. Full side zip mesh over pants in silver or white are a good investment for what you want, and you can wear them over shorts. Plus, you only have to buy one pair of overpants.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 08:58 AM

Kevlar mesh overpants are probably the best protective option but if you have no place to store them it could be a problem. And if its so inconvenient that you don't wear it then it doesn't do any good.

alternatively you could wear some under armor under your clothes such as
these knee guards
or something like these

less convenient to remove but may be easer to stash somewhere.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I am leaning more towards the mesh overpants so comfort while riding and then can take them off.

Just have to solve the storage issue. I could fit jacket pants and boots in my top case if I carried my helmet with me. Or I could get some cheap soft panniers and leave the helmet in the top case. Decisions decisions.

Thanks for the replies.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 11:40 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
rohk pants or force rider are worth there weight in mur........
the skin graphs you will not have to have will prove it

then again i ride around in my dickies so yah.....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Sometimes I store my jacket, pants and helmet ATTACHED to the bike via one of those plastic-covered cables threaded thru the arms, legs, and chin-bar of my helmet, thru the passenger grab handles beside the seat, and a padlock.

PRETTY secure...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 01:51 PM

What will temperatures be when you actually commute? What speeds?

I mostly commute in unvented textile pants over my work pants year round. Temps during the day might go up to 106F in the Summer, but less at commute time, and with a vented jacket it's usually fine. With venting it would be better on maybe a couple of the hottest days, but the rest of the time it wouldn't matter.

Also most moto jeans are really marginal as gear. They may have kevlar reinforcement in a few places (sometimes side of leg protection is minimal), but the seams can burst easily in a crash, making the abrasion protection of the kevlar moot.

If you do go with moto jeans, unless the knee armor is good, consider wearing strap on knee armor under the jeans instead. It will stay in place better, the jeans will hang more like jeans (why wear marginal gear that looks like regular clothes if it doesn't really look like regular clothes?), and you can slide it off and store it in your topcase if you prefer. For mine it only requires removing my boots.

Would you spend the day in moto pants if they were comfortable enough? There are plenty of moto pants that would be comfortable to attend school, walk around between classes, etc, as long as you didn't mind the style. If it bothered you at first, you might get used to it pretty quick.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:26 PM

Get a Aerostitch

I know they are expensive, but after riding with one for several months now. I say it is a great piece of gear. I don't regret it for a second.

Stay safe what ever you choose.

Cheers!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

I'll be riding to and from school assuming its not raining March through September in Philly ( Drexel U), so it can get up to 90 ish. Plus with varying schedule I'd be riding sometimes very early & sometimes mid afternoon. The ride is mostly 25 - 50 mph, no highways.

I really like the lock to the bike idea. I'll use my top case for my helmet and then all other gear locked with a cable to the bike. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, I'll be sure to check out the suggested pants
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 01:28 PM

consider something like a pacsafe to secure random soft items to the bike.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FGVFP8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OVVGH14O2H9L&coliid=I2L18JE1OZPOWI&psc=1
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 03:45 PM

It sounds like your gear needs are mostly pretty light.

In your case I'd probably do something like kevlar lined moto jeans with strap on knee armor underneath. Better than the levis with no armor I wore as a college student BITD. But most aren't good moto gear. Better moto jeans brands include Drayko, Lean Angle, and Bull-It.

Alternately I might just wear moto regular pants all day. My BMW Rallye II Pro pants are fine to wear all day and fine in the heat. I even rock climb in them when I ride to climb. But the style may not be what you want to wear around school. I think it's fine with moto boots, but you may not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode