New waterproof overpants from an unexpected source - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

New waterproof overpants from an unexpected source

My river Road rain pants work very well and are nice and heavy duty, but I was getting really tired of struggling to get them on and off over my boots. So I began searching, and searching, even looked at the golf rainpants at Dick's, then I stumbled across these from an equestian supply place. I mean they are "riding" pants after all.

http://www.amazon.com/EOUS-Winchester-Pants/dp/B005XJZVZC

the seat and inner thigh is synthetic suede that adds some grip and durability.
rest of the shell is taslan nylon. Both sides zip all the way up or all the way down (zippers don't come apart, its a dual direction zipper) it has belt loops and elastic velcro side tensioners for waste adjustability. It has flapped, zippered front pockets and packs down to the size of a nalgene bottle.

I can now hop into overpants in seconds without having to sit.

Last edited by kohburn; 12-04-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 12:13 PM

Garage
I might try a pair. My wife might want some as well since she does ride a horse.

What size jeans do you wear and what size rain pants did you get?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 12-04-2014 at 07:35 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 12:35 PM

Garage
And how long can you ride in a full on storm before water gets in?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 02:07 PM

nice find

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

I wear a 32x34 to 32x36 and got a large. I adjusted the waist all the way in. It can probably fit a 38 waist comfortably.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaylin View Post
And how long can you ride in a full on storm before water gets in?
haven't had any long driving rain rides in them yet. But the quality is there so I feel pretty confident in them. I'll add info on that when it happens.

lately I've been using them to keep out winter air and pea soup fog that soaks through clothes.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 05:11 PM

probably won't last long..Motorcycle Closeouts has a good sale on Firstgear TPG Escape Pants...$155 (a savings of 224 bucks)...I wear these myself and can attest to their being GREAT...waterproof..warm..and with 3DO pads in the knees and hips...

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
do you know something about this brand? or is it just bluster to talk about your pants.
do I know something about about the brand of pants that I wear? nope..nothing what-so-ever...having said that...I based my opinion that they wouldn't last long ON..It's a closeout store..their stuff never stays "in stock" for a long time...now I realize that's a huge generalization..but I wasn't expecting to get called out on it...BTW..what kind of accident "protection" do the horsey pants provide at half the cost? I wasn't making a direct comparison to horsey pants..just dropping a note to those who MIGHT be interested in what I consider a good deal...Heck dude..I even posted "nice find" to your horsey pants...Take a chill pill fella...

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
probably won't last long..Motorcycle Closeouts has a good sale on Firstgear TPG Escape Pants...$155 (a savings of 224 bucks)...I wear these myself and can attest to their being GREAT...waterproof..warm..and with 3DO pads in the knees and hips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
I'm just curious what information that statement is based on. do you know something about this brand? or is it just bluster to talk about your pants that cost twice as much on even on closeout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
do I know something about about the brand of pants that I wear? nope..nothing what-so-ever...having said that...I based my opinion that they wouldn't last long ON..It's a closeout store..their stuff never stays "in stock" for a long time...now I realize that's a huge generalization..but I wasn't expecting to get called out on it...BTW..what kind of accident "protection" do the horsey pants provide at half the cost? I wasn't making a direct comparison to horsey pants..just dropping a note to those who MIGHT be interested in what I consider a good deal...Heck dude..I even posted "nice find" to your horsey pants...Take a chill pill fella...

Guys - IF a 'third party' can chime in.... I'm pretty sure that "chadadams66" referred to the closeout pants NOT LASTING too long as available, as they'd all be sold, and then "kohburn" took that as meaning that the "horsey" pants were poor quality and ... wouldn't last long....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 11:39 PM

the pants I was referring to was the riding..as in horse..pants that this thread was started with..aka horsey...yeah I'll admit to be a little snide in calling them horsey...I think they..the horsey pants..are a good coughcheapcough alternative...It's just that I've come to appreciate a little protection from a crash as well as the weather in my gear...I also realize that 159 bucks for pants isn't in everyone's realm of reality..BUT it is a good deal..so shoot me...Kohburn..sorry if in some way I stepped on your horsey pant thread's toes...Peace out baby...

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

My bad on not interperating your post about an unrelated deal, I blaim that on lack of sleep due to aving a new born at home (born Friday). Maybe you should make a thread about it and include a link so people who are looking for protective gear will actually see it.

decided to delete other post given misunderstanding.

Last edited by kohburn; 12-09-2014 at 08:43 AM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:24 AM

just ordered a pair of this. not sure how it would feel on the Versys, but i figured that i wanted a goretex boots yet i want some serious protection after i over extended some ligaments on my feet even with the touring boots on, in a crash couple of weeks back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tcxsracegtx.jpg (80.2 KB, 47 views)

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 05:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
just ordered a pair of this. not sure how it would feel on the Versys, but i figured that i wanted a goretex boots yet i want some serious protection after i over extended some ligaments on my feet even with the touring boots on, in a crash couple of weeks back.
They look pretty cool.......Darth Vader boots A little more info on brand, source, price, and features would be nice.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 07:31 AM

Garage
Looks like this thread got polluted with other gear talk. Chadams66 must not realize that some folks want rain pants to throw on only when it is raining, and they put them on over their armored riding gear. Sometimes it is just too warm to wear waterproof riding gear.

Andrewtwf, those TCX boots look protective. I wear the TCX infinity Gore-tex boots. They are more adventure style than race style.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 08:00 AM
MTS

Good Lord its -8% F outside!

Can not relate to the above statement twowheeladdict, but thats because of where I live.

Have First Gear and they are awesome over pants. Anytime it looks like rain or colder weather they come out. Had to take knee pads out because of my bad knees. Sliders under them so really good protection! They slip over boots and are zippered!

Hope you guys find what works for you in the hotter climates.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 12-30-2014 at 08:04 AM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 08:49 PM

Garage
I can't think about putting more clothes on. It's 32.5c (feels like 35.2c) outside.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Looks like this thread got polluted with other gear talk. Chadams66 must not realize that some folks want rain pants to throw on only when it is raining, and they put them on over their armored riding gear. Sometimes it is just too warm to wear waterproof riding gear.

Andrewtwf, those TCX boots look protective. I wear the TCX infinity Gore-tex boots. They are more adventure style than race style.
for the mention...just as a heads up..the firstgear pants I've mentioned do have vents in the pants for warmer days when you're not wearing the insulated (read:removable) liner..and I've worn them over my Icon knee and shin armor..even though they come equipped with knee and hip armor...as summer rain pants they are not your best bet if you already have armor..for sure..but as three season rain pants they are great...

I do "realize" that just because I like some piece of gear that it will not be for everyone else...Other than that..I'm as dumb as rocks..and have no idea what's going on...

AND motorcycle closeouts is selling these great GREAT PANTS for a measely 149 bucks right now...if I didn't already have two pair I'd get me some...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode