Heated Grips - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Heated Grips

Is it worth putting on heated grips if you don't have Barkbusters or some other type of hand guards? Also, what are the preferred grips that you suggest. thx

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 10:49 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i dont see why now. i have both hand guards and heated grips. love them, no clue of the brand , the p.o put them on
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 10:54 AM

yeah, honestly a lot of hand guards don't do much for wind chill but help with rain/mud/bugs

love my heated grips 50$ amazon grips

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 12:52 PM

Garage
Had a set on the Versys and now have a set on the FJR.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBx9L5nXgSE Got the best price on Amazon.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 01:02 PM

heated grips

I purchased my heated grips off e bay for $1.99, shipping included. I tossed the cheap switch that came with them, replaced it with a nice orange lighted switch from Princess Auto. I added an inline fuse and wired them to the small running lights next to the headlight. Never had an issue with them in 4 years. Simple on and off, wired to key so I can't leave them on accidently and drain the battery. I also added hand guards from a KLR, kinda McGivered them in place, they act perfectly as windguards. Hope this helps.

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 01:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
yeah, honestly a lot of hand guards don't do much for wind chill but help with rain/mud/bugs

love my heated grips 50$ amazon grips
idk what kind mine are but they block wind
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 01:58 PM

I thought heated grips were the dumbest things in the world till I bought a bike that had them. FWIW it was the very first purchase after I got the Vs. I use bikemaster grips from amazon, ~$50. PWM controller with 5 heat settings, from 'is it on?' to 'the rubber's melting.' Heated grips won't let you ride naked in a snowstorm, but they're awfully nice for letting me wear my summer gloves on a cool morning or evening rather than having to switch over to the winter gloves.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
idk what kind mine are but they block wind
i've got the acerbis and they do a little, but if i was going to be doing long distances in the temps i've been riding in lately, i would need some hippo hands /grip puppies / grip mittens / etc
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 02:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Is it worth putting on heated grips if you don't have Barkbusters or some other type of hand guards? Also, what are the preferred grips that you suggest. thx
Hand guards offer negligible effect on warmth. I have Barkbuster Storm Hand Guards. In fact I can't the difference wrt warmth when mine are on or off. What will make a difference is insulated motorcycle gloves and heated grips.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-18-2014 at 02:16 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 02:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
i've got the acerbis and they do a little, but if i was going to be doing long distances in the temps i've been riding in lately, i would need some hippo hands /grip puppies / grip mittens / etc

Heated grips and these are so very nice....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 05:08 PM

I've never used "grip puppies" or other such motorcycle hand covers..but back in the day when I was a white water kayaking fool..I had what we called "poogies" that I used in the winter months...similar in design..and went on the paddle...while they couldn't really protect against the cold water (seriously NOT water proof)..they were great in blocking wind and helped keep my hands warmer than without them...I have got to imagine that they are really a nice item for motorcycle riding..and with heated grips.."the cat's meow"...
now the cons...in kayaking..people felt as if your hands were trapped inside of the poogies (sometimes you might need to use your hand..and having to take it "out" of something might mean time lost in an emergency situation)...on a motorcycle all your controls are going to be covered up..which might be un-nerving to some...
I have heated glove liners that I wear inside of insulated gloves (they have no insulation in the palms for less bulk..and I imagine for better heat transfer if I had heated grips)...when I started using these last winter I thought of them as a gawdsend...it's not hard to turn the heat up too high and get sweaty palms..which is why I'm glad I got a heat controller that is continuously variable and not just 3 or 4 settings...This set up is slightly clumsy in an overstuffed sort of way..but I have no trouble with any of the controls and I don't notice any hinderances when riding (unless my connection becomes undone and my hands start to get cold)...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. BTW, Joe what are you doing with those hand mitts on your FJR. Didn't you just comment the other day about riding around with a t-shirt on while the rest of us back east are trying to keep the snow out of our garages?

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 02:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Heated grips and these are so very nice....

i like jake's more =p
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 07:14 PM

Rode to work today. Mid 20s when I left, mid-upper 30s on the way home. Winter gloves with liners on the way there, summer gloves with liners on the way home. Quite chilly on the way there, really need to find the cable for my heated gloves. Way home was just fine, and a lot less bulky. Grips on high both trips.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 07:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. BTW, Joe what are you doing with those hand mitts on your FJR. Didn't you just comment the other day about riding around with a t-shirt on while the rest of us back east are trying to keep the snow out of our garages?
That was in February and i took photos of them on the FJR for a member on the FJR Forum. If you notice my reflection in the first photo I'm in a long sleeved T-Shirt there too.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 11-20-2014 at 07:53 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 12:45 PM

I know I'm late to the party but anyway.
Yes, heated grips do help without hand guards.
The backs of your hands and fingers will still get cold and you'll still feel the cold but what the heated grips will do is keep your fingers limber and functioning. You know, when your hands and fingers get cold they get stiff and lose sensation and ability to bend, heated grips will keep that from happening, they will keep your fingers limber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode