Rev'It Motorcycle Jeans - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rev'It Motorcycle Jeans

As a gear geek I've been interested in these since I first saw them on the Revzilla site as they seemed to be a leap forward compared to traditional motorcycle jeans. Recently found a pair on Ebay being sold at a small percentage of retail so I jumped.

These were purchased from a private individual on Ebay so their arrival condition is probably not representative of what you would experience purchasing from a retailer. These were sold by the seller as new but arrived with creases all over as though they had been balled up rather than folded, a weird smell, labels that appeared as though they might have been reattached, some minor washable stains, and a seam on the inside of the leg that appeared cut open, mid leg, over a 3 inch length. The washing machine fixed the issues with smell, creases and the stains. A local seamstress *fixed the inside seam for free when I took them to be hemmed to the correct length. All in all I can't complain about the other issues as I paid a small fraction of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price in this particular transaction. I also suspect these were subject to inspection by Canada Customs as they arrived in a new box with the sender's torn open package inside the box. Just speculating but the the cutting of the inside seam may have been from a close inspection by customs agents.

Fit:
This is the first pair of motorcycle jeans I have owned that don't fit like the bottom half of overalls. That is to say they have a tailored fit like fashion jeans. The particular fit varies with model. Rev'It make 6 different styles at the time of this writing. The Lombard model I purchased seems to fit similarly to Levi 501's. The slimmer legs are also functionally beneficial as they hold the included Knox knee armor in place. They also have a large gusset under the crotch which allows you to easily lift a leg over even a extra tall dirt bike or not pinch the “boys” on a long ride. Whether or not you like the fit/style I suspect will vary with model and be a personal thing. They look remarkably like normal street jeans from even up close and don't have the usual horizontal seams across the legs.

Construction:
In summery the over all style, quality and fit is superior to the average < $150 pair of motorcycle jeans as is the level of protection they offer.

1. The outside shell is constructed of fabric which is a blend of 12oz denim, Nylon Cordura and Cool Max. In comparison almost all other motorcycle jeans I've seen just use regular denim in the outside shell. Although the fabric looks identical to denim, it is not soft like washed denim and feels more like Cordura. It feels a lot more solid and abrasion resistant. All outside seams are triple stitched. Rev'It advertises a 4 second slide time with these jeans which I would guess would be more than sufficient for general riding, especially with a layer of underlying armor providing a second defense. It's too early to tell if this material will last longer than denim, I've found other denim motorcycle jeans, like regular jeans, wear out over time with repeated washings.
2. The jeans come with included Knox knee pads and have inner pockets for them that provide some adaptability with placement depending on the wearer's height. There are also pockets provided for hip armor although the hip pads themselves are an option and cost $23 extra. Instead of purchasing hip pads I've re-purposed the hip pads from another pair of motorcycle pants or wear them without hip pads.
3. As with most other motorcycle jeans there is also an underlay of abrasion resistant fabric under the seat and knees. Rev'It uses soft Cool Max fabric as an inner covering for comfort and Cordura for abrasion resistance.
4. There are no inconsistencies between the left and right leg, which I've found to be common place in cheaper motorcycle jeans, and construction quality and attention to detail seems flawless, at least with the exception of the bottom of the cuffs which contained what look like wear spots. The inside leg seam seems to have been cut open, perhaps by border inspection agents, so I have not included it in this. The wear on the bottom of the cuffs was hidden once the jeans were hemmed to length making this a moot point for me.

Summary and Negatives:
These are the best motorcycle jeans I've seen from the perspective of crash protection and style. Rev'It also advertise a 4 second slide time with these which also is reassuring. They are not without deserving some criticism though when it comes to the subjective category of value. The big “but...” with these pants is the price tag at $270 US (MSRP). A price tag of $180 USD or less for a high quality pair of motorcycle jeans seems reasonable but $270 USD is the price range of the average pair of dedicated textile or leather motorcycle pants, and only about $80 USD away from a high end pair of textile pants like the Olympia Motoquest or Rev'It Sand. Dedicated motorcycle pants are going to be more versatile/usable in the cold or rain and better for touring and will probably last longer. Still, it's nice to ride in jeans in the summer and feel appropriately dressed at your destination. Dedicated motorcycle pants are still the way to go for touring, rain, and cooler weather IMO. Having experienced road rash on a knee cap though, $270 still seams like a very small price for insurance against the pain, suffering and expense of a road rash injury.

Rating are of course always subjective but for what it is worth here are mine, your results may differ.

Fit: 5
Construction: 5
Value: 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeans_lombard_cuff.jpg (213.2 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg jeans_lombard_inside_seam.jpg (52.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg jeans_fabric.jpg (22.7 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg jeans_stretch.jpg (20.2 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by twowheels; 11-17-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 06:02 PM

I bought Dracko jeans..around a buck fifty if I remember right...I got them because of their "4 second" ability (4 seconds of protection brfore they wear through)...They came in an extra long leg length to fit most riders..with us shorter guys left to hem them up ourselves...I had a low speed down and they held up quite well with only a small hole in the jean material and slight damage to the kevlar (blackened just a bit..did not wear through)...I was able to patch the jean material...I've been wearing them now for a year and a half...Otherwise they sound very similar to your pair...Any time you can get a price cut on gear is a good deal..Ebay or not...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 07:57 PM

Garage
Have you taken a look at "sliders" jeans from www.compacc.com?

I found them to have the most Kevlar coverage for comparably priced jeans. and more than many at twice the cost.

With the cordura on those jeans, how well do they breathe? Good for a hot summer day?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 06:49 AM
MTS

Sliders is all I wear in the summer and I love them! Little hotter than regular jeans but, watch the video on sliders, they are worth their weight in gold!

I have First Gear over pants and wear them over the sliders most of the time.

Bought the last two pair on sale for $60.00 each. The don't wear out and are really comfortable but I think I bought them two or three sizes to big because they have size issues. Just read reviews and the talk about it!

Also in both jeans and over pants I cann't wear knee pads they hurt my knees.

Good luck!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 11-18-2014 at 06:56 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Sliders is all I wear in the summer and I love them! Little hotter than regular jeans but, watch the video on sliders, they are worth their weight in gold!

I have First Gear over pants and wear them over the sliders most of the time.

Bought the last two pair on sale for $60.00 each. The don't wear out and are really comfortable but I think I bought them two or three sizes to big because they have size issues. Just read reviews and the talk about it!

Also in both jeans and over pants I cann't wear knee pads they hurt my knees.

Good luck!
I've owned Sliders jeans but could not get a proper fit with them. The legs were extremely baggy and the waist was, well, very, very low - good for showing off your plumbers cleavage I guess. Because the legs are so baggy they don't hold the optional knee armor in place although there's lots of room to wear knee/shin guards underneath. Price was excellent at $60 though.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-18-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode