Rain protection suggestions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Rain protection suggestions

Hey all,

I recently invested in a really nice leather jacket and pair of riding pants (will write a review on this new Dainese stuff soon). It's by far the best gear I've ridden with in my limited experience, but I need a good way to protect it from the unpredictable rain storms in the South. My first ride in it on Saturday, I got caught in a downpour only 10 minutes before getting home, drenching the leather and leading to a drying/conditioning party in my apartment.

I've seen reviews on both rain suit and individual pieces. Any suggestions for something that's quick to don, while offering good protection for quality leather? I spent a lot of this gear, so a few extra bucks to protect it is very doable.

Share your tips/secrets/gear!

Thanks!

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:17 PM

Try Nelson rigg raincoat....it is about 35 usd shipped from amazon, I am currently using it in my tour with my wife in Europe and like you I am wearing my leather jacket and dryko jeans....I tested it under heavy rains in Slovenia and It worked flawlessly

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:19 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0068ERO1A/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1
They increased the price I think....anyway I got mine XL for 32 usd 8 months ago

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:55 PM

I find myself getting caught in gully washers more and more lately, I blame the weathermen. Anyway, I've got a "waterproof" riding jacket and pants which works well in light rain but when it really comes down I get soaked.
My question, when buying rain gear how do you size it to fit over armored riding gear?
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 03:06 PM

I've got the bright yellow fieldsheer top and pants that are great. I used the jacket yesterday but only use the bottoms when I wear my leather pants as my textile pants aren't a problem. Takes all of a couple of minutes to put both on.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/c...piece+rainsuit

No longer available at the site below but note how the suit is rated:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...piece-rainsuit

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 03:58 PM

Frog Togs.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 05:28 PM

Good question.

I was in a similar situation this spring. I did some research and I bought the Alpinestars Quick Seal Out two piece suit. They call it their "Waterproof Breathable" rain suit. I really like how the legs fold over and close at the bottom. Other suits have loops that go under the boot. I really didn't like that idea much because I thought it would get caught in a peg. I used it for a few rainy days on my Trans-Labrador trip this summer and it worked like a charm. It packs up in a small tubular bag that is about 10" long by about 4" diameter.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...iece-rain-suit
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 06:53 PM

Best slip over rain gear I have owned but lost in a left turner induced low side was a Burton snowboard gortex jacket and some North Face gortex pants pants zippers went up waist to ankle. I never found anything that would keep my hands dry buy that gear worked in the heaviest down pours and would pack away under the seat of my GSXR600. Cost a bit though.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 10:52 AM

Frog Togs for the cheap option. My buddy picked up a set before our 3 week road trip last year. He stayed "dry" after a 8 hour down pour.

Another option is scour ebay for Surplus Military Gortex Jacket and Pants.
Even with my Aerostitch I always tank my gortex jacket and over pants. For any extended rain riding they help a lot.

Hooligan
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 06:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
Hey all,

I recently invested in a really nice leather jacket and pair of riding pants (will write a review on this new Dainese stuff soon). It's by far the best gear I've ridden with in my limited experience, but I need a good way to protect it from the unpredictable rain storms in the South. My first ride in it on Saturday, I got caught in a downpour only 10 minutes before getting home, drenching the leather and leading to a drying/conditioning party in my apartment.

I've seen reviews on both rain suit and individual pieces. Any suggestions for something that's quick to don, while offering good protection for quality leather? I spent a lot of this gear, so a few extra bucks to protect it is very doable.

Share your tips/secrets/gear!

Thanks!
Olympia make great quality gear including rain suits. Not the cheapest but excellent quality. IMO go for the hi vis colors since over cast, rainy, gray weather is where it stands out the most and is the most beneficial.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/o...on-rain-jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/o...zon-rain-pants

Last edited by twowheels; 08-12-2014 at 07:02 PM.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 02:18 PM
djg

I had a US Navy goatskin flying jacket that got soaked on the bike once. Dried stiff as a board.

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/Motorcycle.shtm
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I find myself getting caught in gully washers more and more lately, I blame the weathermen. Anyway, I've got a "waterproof" riding jacket and pants which works well in light rain but when it really comes down I get soaked.
My question, when buying rain gear how do you size it to fit over armored riding gear?
Don't really have any personal experience, but in researching such gear have run across claims that moto-specific stuff is generally sized with that in mind. YM, as always, MV. If in doubt, you could always talk to Revzilla. They are dead serious about customer service. You might end up paying a bit more than elsewhere, but will also very likely end up with exactly what you need. (Not a shill, I promise!)

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 06:37 PM

Garage
motoport

This is what I got. http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=19&Itemid=15

I had them make it all Hi-vis with black for the pocket flaps and zipper flaps. Definitely like the extra visibility in the rain.

I use a pair of gortex pants I had from backpacking.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

I just rode about 1,000 kms over the last two days, lots of rain including VERY HEAVY rain (RW++ in meteorological jargon). My suit (FIRST time I used it) is an "AEROMOTO" size L (I'm 5'10", 180# plus gear) in hi-vis, worn over mesh Frank Thomas jacket (L) and mesh Tourmaster pants. Fitted FINE over my gear, and kept me dry!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 08:31 PM

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...-h2o-rain-suit

This suit is awesome. Not too expensive either. Folds down really small into the size of a tall-boy.

2014 Versys ABS
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 10:29 AM

I use a River-Road rainsuit - runs about $40 on amazon - its heavy duty so it doesn;t pack as small as i would like, but I commute rain or shine and it kept me dry all last month that it rained almost 5 days a week for 4 weeks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IWC7LQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
for gloves I just use black rubber overgloves that look like kitchen cleaning gloves. they pack small, weigh nothing, slip right over whatever gloves you normally wear, and are long enough to keep rain from going up your sleeves.

http://www.amazon.com/FirstGear-Rubber-OverGloves-Leather-Motorcycle/dp/B008GREE10/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1412609356&sr=1-5&keywords=overgloves
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Frog Togs.
+1.............

'15 DL1000
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 AM

I see lots of kudos above for Frog Toggs, but let me add my experience. We started to see rain coming and stopped at a Gander Mountain store so my buddy's wife could get some rain gear. She bought a Frog Toggs suit and off we went. It poured rain for hours. Not only did she get wet underneath, but the purple material of the Frog Toggs bled and stained (ruined) her textile jacket and pants underneath. After witnessing that, I've chosen other manufacturers for rain suits. YMMV

The best rain suit I had was a no-name variety bought from a long-since-out-of-business moto accessories store in town. Nuclear blue for visibility, storm flap in front, elastic gathers in back to keep the front smooth to the weather, velcro adjustment on the sleeve openings, hood that stows in the collar. The pants gave up after about 20 years, but I still have the jacket after 20+ years.

Now I have a Gore-Tex riding suit so I don't have to change for rain, which is the way to go if you ask me.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 01:23 PM

what gore-tex suit do you use?
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 03:21 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
a $0.50 poncho is a great thing to keep in your gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode