New favorite toy! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New favorite toy!

Just got me a Sena SMH 10 bluetooth headset. These are currently on sale at $165 at Revzilla. I'm really impressed with it. If I knew they were as handy as I'm finding this I would have got one a long time ago. The ability to listen to music while riding and adjust volume, and change tracks while in motion, with gloves on, is fantastic. I previously used ear buds wired to my phone but there is no comparison in convenience and functionality. I've had a few phone calls on the highway and no one can believe I'm on a bike from the excellent sound quality. Rider communication is excellent too and it will even pair with a non Sena unit. My only dislike for now is I cannot listen to the FM radio on my phone using the Sena headset, as it requires wired earphones to act as an FM antenna, and when you plug them in, it disconnects the Sena unit. These have a two year warranty and are actually a lot more durable than they appear. I would expect one to last the life of the average helmet. They have more than enough battery capacity to last a full day of riding.

Revzilla recommended I purchase the Universal Mount Kit which has a separate mike, and not a permanently attached boom mike, (and is about $5 more), for mounting in a full face helmet. The mike then has a cleaner install and never needs to be moved. Installation was easy although I had to tweak the ear phones position after using it a while. They even provided foam spacers so the deep pockets in my Bell RS-1 helmet were a non issue for the speakers.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...etooth-headset

Universal Mount Kit (note in a FF helmet you do not use the boom mike, only the mike without the boom, which gets attached the front of helmet)

Standard Mount Kit (permanently attached boom mike, used in modular helmets and open face helmets)

Last edited by twowheels; 07-25-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 04:08 PM

Nice! I've heard nothing but good things about the Sena headsets. I went with the Cardo systems Scala rider system though, because thats what the dealership had when I bought my V and I got a killer deal on them. My Scala also has a built in FM radio, I was under the impression that the Sena had one as well but I guess not. Anyway, I completely agree with how handy they are. Being able to talk to my pillion, listen to music, and take calls, I could never go back to not using one.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 09:57 AM

Fiance will kill me. Just ordered on amazon for 157, 4 dollar one day shipping....... not like we have a wedding coming up or any moving expenses soon...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 10:43 PM

I like riding without distractions.

Don't want to hear my riding friends flap their gums or tell me they are hungry. Or even worse, my girl friend complain about how fast I am going or she has to pee...

Hahaha

Hooligan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:20 PM

I just installed this in my Nolan N90, and the speakers fit snugly in the factory speaker positions. Haven't ridden with it yet, but phone calls and music are superb. Great unit so far, and am impressed with the volume ( so much so it's my stereo while I have a beer tonight). Will update my experience after riding tomorrow.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 01:10 PM

Yes, I haven't found a single fault with the SMH-10 yet. Took a week long ride last month and found I could go an entire 2 days on a single charge. Don't forget to upgrade the firmware. Version 5.(something) This update not only gives you more compatibility with other brands of intercom systems, but gives an updated electronic noise reduction.

With the new 20S out there now, I am glad Sena is still upgrading the SMH-10.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 04:55 PM

I have the SMH10 "Slim" on my Shoei. i love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode