Hearing Protection - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Hearing Protection

Just a reminder about something that, once gone, will not come back......

http://www.bikebandit.com/community/..._silent_killer

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:27 AM

Also just makes your riding experience more enjoyable. I do long days, 500 - 800 miles, and it makes a big difference in how fatigued you are at the end of the day.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:37 AM
MTS

What did you say?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well I have been following a few other bike forums hearing pretection threads.
I just got in the mail today my No-Noise plugs.
went for a 20 min ride tonight to test them out as I have a big ride tomorrow.
They are very confortable. can hear thing better and winds noise is reduced.
but they can be hard to get out.
I will find out tomorrow when I'm on the freeway how good they are.

I normally use some soft ear silicone, they are good, but putting on helmet does move it and can sometimes break a seal on part of the ear.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 08:41 AM

Honestly I have never considered using earplugs, but after reading that article maybe I will give it a try. I wore a full face helmet when I had my Harley because I hated the wind noise so much with the half helmet. I figured as long as the wind wasn't beating against my ears I was fine, but the article makes a good argument.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 08:46 AM

EarPro silicone protectors work well & have a connecting cord to keep me from pushing them in too far and having to cough them out later. As I've survived longer, the list of protective gear has gotten longer as well.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 08:58 AM

Garage
I have been wearing 33dB contour foam plugs from Walmart. They are Kawasaki green. On my last trip, I wore them all day, and put fresh ones in while sleeping in the tent. By the end of the trip my ears became very sore.

I am going to try the 22dB silicone ones that don't go in the ear canal and see how they work.

I wear ear protection when working around anything that is noisy. Why not wear them on the bike. I am in my 50s and have perfect hearing.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 10:22 AM

I'm definitely in favor of hearing protection. The simple, disposable foam one work just fine (for me.) Went to look at a Triumph America the other day. Noticed that it had aftermarket pipes on it. The middle age lady selling it said, "My husband passed away about a year ago. He liked Harley's and liked them loud. He switched to these pipes to give the Triumph "a little more rumble." Rumble my assssssss! When we fired it up, the garage shook! She was trying to say something to me and I had to turn the bike off in order to hear her. I just don't get it. They say, "If it's too loud, you're too old." Yeah, old and proud of it!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 11:05 AM

For disposable foam ear plugs, I like the Howard Leight Lazer Lites. Only ones I've found that fit in my small ear canals!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 03:00 PM

I always use ear plugs. After about 1/2 hour or so without them I have a headache from the noise. I just use the cheap little foam ones but am going to but a set of real ones.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
Honestly I have never considered using earplugs, but after reading that article maybe I will give it a try. I wore a full face helmet when I had my Harley because I hated the wind noise so much with the half helmet. I figured as long as the wind wasn't beating against my ears I was fine, but the article makes a good argument.
As a professional in the speech and hearing field I can tell you that the wind noise at freeway speeds is damaging your hearing if you're not wearing earplugs. Not maybe damaging it or damaging it in some people but not others, or will damage it later, but is actively damaging it.

You know the ringing you get after a loud concert that sometimes last 2-3 days? Hearing damage. I once rode about 2 hours at speeds between 45 and 70mph with an earplug in one ear and an earbud headphone in the other. The music was loud enough to hear, but at freeway speeds was mostly drowned out by the wind. When I got to my destination, the ear with the earbud was ringing and I couldn't hear as well out of it as the one with the earplug....I should've known better...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 11:11 AM

Garage
3M #1100 for me. A case lasts a few years, hearing damage is forever.
Besides, it blocks the dash rattle noise.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 02:14 PM

ATGATT for me always includes earplugs... I too use foam plugs.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 06-21-2014 at 02:16 PM.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 02:19 PM

On a side note, where I work at a woman brought her father in one day, nice old man. He was watching me and on the other side of the cube wall I heard her tell a friend "Dad's health is OK he's just a little hard of hearing" I felt "Pop" tap me on the shoulder and he leaned over and said "Pop hear's just fine when Pop WANTS too!" Then he winked! I about blew up trying not to laugh with the cagey old man he as was getting away with a lot by "being half deaf"!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 06-21-2014 at 02:58 PM.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 02:57 PM

Garage
I tried the silicon ear plugs today. They are not as good as the foam ones at blocking the wind noise, but are adequate for when my ears are worn out by the foam plugs.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 03:08 PM

ATGATT includes ear plugs. The Classic 3M yellow foam drops sound about
30 db. And I get them real cheap.. Also I just bought a set of active noise
canceling earbuds. On the riding mower they make the blade noise and mower
sounds go away. Inside my helmet they get rid of wind noise and tire sound and allow the music to rock. It would be great to have it built into a helmet..

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

I wear two hearing-aids because of damage to my hearing in the military (had a .303 blank fired point-blank into the underside of my helmet just behind my left ear - it's now down 90 Db), and they co$t around $6,000 for the two.

I ALWAYS wear ear-plugs riding, ear-plugs AND over-the-ear-muffs when shooting, and over-the-ear-muffs whenever I'm working w/ noisy tools.

Suggest for those of you who think you're invulnerable... think AGAIN!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I wear two hearing-aids because of damage to my hearing in the military (had a .303 blank fired point-blank into the underside of my helmet just behind my left ear - it's now down 90 Db), and they co$t around $6,000 for the two.

I ALWAYS wear ear-plugs riding, ear-plugs AND over-the-ear-muffs when shooting, and over-the-ear-muffs whenever I'm working w/ noisy tools.

Suggest for those of you who think you're invulnerable... think AGAIN!!!

Fasteddie, just curious.....how did that happen? Was it an accident or somebody's sick idea of a "joke"?

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 08:30 AM

I just installed the Quiet Ride Ear Muffs in my helmet.
I'll put a detailed report, but short story, they reduce the noise a lot.
I still have to adjust them and they are not so easy to install, but I can hear the low frequency engine noise much better.
the music plays now at 20% and it's very clear.
I was a "tough" guy thinking that I'm not going to use ear plugs..... until I used them once... and never gone back ... long rides (more than 30 min) have a must ear-plugs condition
Even my 8 years old son started to use them and noticed that he can hear me a lot more clear and the noise is down...

Versys 2015 Green
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
Fasteddie, just curious.....how did that happen? Was it an accident or somebody's sick idea of a "joke"?
I was in the Canadian Army Reserves, and we were learning how to to a squad advance up a road where the ditches were NOT usable for whatever reason. For those who've not done it - half the squad would give covering fire while the other half advanced across the road at 45 degrees. Then THEY would give covering fire while the remaining half joined them, and ON and ON till you reached your objective.

I was part of the half that was doing the "running", and just as I 'launched' SOMEONE fired upwards into the rear of my 'tin-pot' helmet, forcing IT forward and via my tight chin-strap snapped my head forward so I landed on my face on the road. Whether it was part of my half (runners) or the other - I don't think I ever knew.

I could NOT hear; blood was oozing out of my ears & nose (and eyes?) and I had very little equilibrium. I seem to remember I couldn't see very well either as I staggered along held up by two other soldiers.

Before our first "mock-war" our sergeant demonstrated how LETHAL a .303 blank could be, by shooting at a tin of soup from 10 or 15', and blew it to HELL...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode