AFX FX-39 ds (dual sport) helmet question - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

AFX FX-39 ds (dual sport) helmet question

hey guys, looking to purchase a new helmet as my scorpion 1000 just simply too heavy and gives me headache after an hour of riding.

so i was looking at AFX fx-39 and wondering if somebody here has one? any thoughts reviews complaints?

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 02:26 PM

I have the Fly Trekker which is the same helmet under a different brand (but maybe different liner?). I am perfectly happy with it. Does it's job and it's held up well to the abuse I've given it over the past 2 years. It's not a great fit though for my Arai Profile shaped noggin as I get pressure points on my forehead. That's really only been an issue at freeway speeds and I mostly use it on the trails, so it's something I can live with. At freeway speeds the sun/branch visor can act as a sail and lift the whole helmet up, but this would probably be less of an issue if the fit was better for me.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 03:57 PM

Garage
I own one. Quality control is definatly lacking. The shield does not close tightly to the gasket at the bottom. There is a steady flow of air into your eyes even with the shield down.

I have removed the shield and now only use it with goggles for offroad and snowmobiles. I will never buy another AFX.

I saw another of these helmets at a dealer about a month ago and it had quit he same gap.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 05:02 PM
MTS

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/n...4-helmet-solid

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 05:21 PM

Garage
The thing about dual sport helmets is they are a liability at highway speeds because of the very un aerodynamic visor/peak although it can be nice a low speeds. I love my Bell RS-1 and the 55% off deal at Riders Discount is a fantastic price for the normally $400 helmet if you don't mind the Hi Vis color scheme.

Check out the helmet reviews on www.webBikeWorld.com

Last edited by twowheels; 06-17-2014 at 05:24 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 07:12 PM

Garage
I've had one for a couple years, and I'm happy with it. Great large field of view. Reasonable light weight. I like the ratchet mechanism for the strap too. The visor is fine at all speeds, the only time it catches any wind is when there is a cross wind or you turn your head. The visor goes great thru the air forward, but catches a bit sideways, and that only happens at higher speeds.

No it is not the best helmet out there, but for the price it is a good helmet.

Always trust your cape.

Last edited by ATYC; 06-17-2014 at 07:23 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 09:04 PM

Here's an alternative that's light (carbon fiber) and easily switches from dual-sport configuration to street configuration. Plus, it has a flip-down sun visor and other features.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:54 AM

Thanks for this thread. I am in the market for a dual sport helmet to beat around town on my Grom. Decisions.... Decisions....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 10:37 AM

i picked up the FX-41ds I just wanted the added internal sun visor feature over the 39 -
i really like the helmet, my only real complaint is that it is a noisy helmet. there is actually less noise at 45-50mph with the clear visor up than down. That and it is more prone to fogging than my last helmet, but that can be remedied.

the external sun visor is a life saver when heading into the setting sun. and as long as i'm not bird watching while traveling at 70mpg i've never had the wind catch the visor and lift.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 10:58 PM

I got that helmet. Same problems as others have stated. The visor doesn't quite seal with the gasket at the bottom so expect the wind to funnel perfectly into your eyeballs. I found that if you kind of "smack" the windscreen, it seals better. I probably look like an even bigger fool riding down the road, smacking myself in the helmet but it works.

I took the visor off though as I'm just a poser. It comes with a screw driver to remove it and covers for where the visor connects and a plug for the top part of the helmet.

Also the wind noise is loud, but then again this is more an entry level helmet. It's like buying a Huffy from Walmart, you know it's not the best but it will still get the job done.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 02:01 AM

That's what I wear and it's a very good helmet..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode