Some thoughts on riding with a LEATT neck brace... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Some thoughts on riding with a LEATT neck brace...

I bought a Leatt MotoGPX neck brace during the winter, and rode w/ it quite a bit in AZ. It takes a bit of dexterity to attach it (UNLESS in front of a mirror...), but practice-makes-perfect they say, tho' I can see where it might save you from breaking your neck in a crash.

Brought it back to BC for the spring and summer, and I've been using it w/ pretty much the same results as in AZ - till yesterday, that is.

I ride w/ either a modular, or a full-face Shoie or AGV, and I was wearing the AGV yesterday, along w/ my heated jacket liner (a BIT cool up here - about 50F...) on a three hour ride. I've been trying to "resuscitate" an older jacket liner, which indicated it was working OK when I left, but during the ride I needed to change the power setting, and I found that the Leatt would not allow me to move my head to where I could look down at my controller to either confirm the power ON light, or WHICH controller knob I was turning.

Of course I pulled off onto the shoulder, removed my glasses and helmet, glasses back ON, then made my adjustment, then reversed the whole procedure. I'll retry the AGV w/ my GOOD liner before I say it's a REAL problem....

Down South I use the same helmets, but had not run into this problem, so I'm just "throwing-this-out-there" in case it'll help one of you.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have a hard time riding street with mine. I use it all the time on dirt but can't seem to get used to the loss of mobility when I'm trying to dodge cars.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Did a goggle on LEATT MotoGPX neck Brace and the images show that the brace has a front neck collar.
http://www.google.com/search?q=LEATT...w=1313&bih=846

No wonder you cannot look down.

There are other LEATT models that do not have such a high front collar:
http://www.leatt.com/shop/braces/street-stx.html
The STX Road look good.

Last edited by Gigitt; 04-27-2014 at 09:42 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:31 AM

If you think about it, the brace is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. I have the same model and wearing it on road is a PIA. I ride from/to the trails and have taken to strapping it to the bike for the road portion. For me the issue is turning my head left as the helmet strap buckle catches on the brace and makes left head turns difficult. Once on the trail however I don't notice I'm wearing it.

The good news is taking it on/off does become 2nd nature. And though these things can be a pain I will not ride off road without it. Last November one of my buddies had a very low speed crash and though there is no certainty as to what happened, we think he hit a tree about 10 mph. The Dr thinks the helmet was pushed down onto his shoulder and crushed the nerves that go into your arm, leaving him with no use of his arm since then. If that is the case then a neck brace would certainly have helped. He is making small progress and there is hope he will recover the use of his arm but that is far from certain.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
My "not being able to look down" was under unusual circumstances. Today I went out and tested the jacket-liner and two different controllers, this time w/ out the LEATT. Everything's tested now, so back to using the LEATT. I understand how they work, and figured it was ANOTHER level to my ATGATT.

It was just an observation for anyone thinking of a LEATT, but not sure about them.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 10:21 PM

I tried one and hated the loss of head movement. The wife wears one as a pillion and loves it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode