A Helmet Poll - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

View Poll Results: What do you look for when buying a new helmet?
It must be Snell M2015. 21 17.36%
It must be ECE 22.05 compliant. 8 6.61%
DOT is fine as long as its is a well-built, known brand. 49 40.50%
Comfort, wearability and special features are a higher priority than rating standards. 43 35.54%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A Helmet Poll

I've been shopping for a new Helmet and am amazed by how many choices are sub-par in terms of a helmet's PRIMARY purpose. I have grown accustomed to holding unpopular views as I have grown older. Just to see how out of touch I am; please respond with your idea of important helmet attributes.

I'm no diplomat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 02:25 PM

DOT rating is on the "honor" system. Snell actually test helmet. Not sure 'bout the other.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 02:40 PM

I didn't vote. My choice is a combination of them. My helmets are always a rated helmet as well as a reputable name, and have the features and comfort I want.

Helmet shopping is difficult for me as there are tons of options out there.

Right now, my only requirements are at least Snell and and internal flip down visor. I may back off on the Snell rating next go round as I am considering a modular such and the Nolan N104, but that will be a year away.

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 02:56 PM

I'm with Kirk. I only consider Snell or ECE rated helmets in the first place and only those available with a hi-viz color option. That narrows the field a lot. Then it is form, fit, function.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
My next helmet MIGHT have an internal flip-down visor, but I'm NOT sure - I wear glasses w/ 'transition' lenses and they seem to work for me.

I really like the user-friendliness of modulars (particularly wearing glasses...), and I have Snell, DOT and BSE rated full-face ones.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My next helmet MIGHT have an internal flip-down visor, but I'm NOT sure - I wear glasses w/ 'transition' lenses and they seem to work for me.

I really like the user-friendliness of modulars (particularly wearing glasses...), and I have Snell, DOT and BSE rated full-face ones.
Every helmet visor I am aware of on the market is UV coated. This lessens the amount of transition your lenses can darken (same as a car). The visor is treated both to protect your eyes from UV as well as keep from being sunburned on the face.

I wear trasitions lenses as well and my clear visor prevents them from darkening much. The flip down visor is awesome! Highly recommend trying one. Most dealers will let me walk outside with the helmet on and try the shield to see the effect they have on your lenses, just need to make them aware I would like to try it.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 04:49 PM

Never found one of those that would fit my head. I run a dark shield since 99% of my riding is in daylight. Clear shield is in the top case and only takes a minute to swap. My transition lenses do nothing even with the clear shield. My sunglasses are polarized and the weird effects caused by that and the bent shield were distracting at best.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 06:08 PM

I do think DOT can be OK if from a known company. I don't think SNELL will rate a Modular helmet as all but that may have changed.

I would rather wear a Full Face lip any way and almost all of mine ARE Snell other than my Fulmer ADV helmet.

Nice think about THIS post is it a "What kind of helmet do you WEAR" Not a Do you wear a helmet and why bother?

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
ECE 22.05 and Snell M2010 rating systems both test for additional protection above the DOT standard. A cruiser style half helmet can be DOT approved but it would not pass ECE or Snell testing. From what I have read in the motorcycle press, the Snell M2005 standard was flawed, and some say the M2010 standard is too, in that they so heavily weight puncture resistance tests and testing two bumps to the same spot, that it produces helmets that are two rigid to optimally disperse real world impact forces. Because of this some helmet manufacturers have announced they are no longer going to seek Snell approval and instead go with ECE, so if a helmet is ECE approved but not Snell, I would not worry about the lack of a Snell rating.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-27-2014 at 06:42 PM.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

There is more than one current Snell standard. I have found at least one recent Snell M2010 certified modular helmet, LS2 FF394 but the current model while not Snell certified IS ECE 22.05

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 04-27-2014 at 07:37 PM.
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
There is more than one current Snell standard. I have found at least one recent Snell M2010 certified modular helmet, LS2 FF394 but the current model while not Snell certified IS ECE 22.05
Thanks for the heads up!!
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
It doesn't matter what other standards the helmet has...
Here in Australia, it has to have an Australian Standards AS1698 sticker on it or it is illegal!
SNELL and DOT are also good as there are limitations on where you can use a helmet, road, the race track, and even in a race car etc.
I know that some like to use their Motorcycle helmet for go-karting and even on the Drag Strip. Each track has their own rules what can be used. I know WSID Drag way turns away many people from racing for incorrect helmet codes and also Helmet Age!

Also a the UK SHARP rating is good indicator

Last edited by Gigitt; 04-27-2014 at 09:29 PM.
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 PM

I chose a Shoei Neotech. It's a high quality helmet, tested heavily, with a nice feature set including built-in sun visor and pinlock. I got a white one - you can see it from far away, and white goes with anything according to Martha Stewart.

I'm pretty sure that it will do the job in a fall. Just hoping I don't ever have to put it to the test.

An uncomfortable helmet makes for a crappy ride experience no matter how safe it rates.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 10:38 PM

never had a decent helmet till I bought the v last fall. ended up buying 3 shoei quest helmets at the motorcycle superstore outlet in louisville cause they felt so good. not sure what rating they carry-----------
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
SNELL for me. Needs to be that or EU equivalent for the track, so that's the mindset I'm in! I've used Arais for the past probably 20 or so years. Fit is crucial for good protection, and they fit my noggin very well. The place I get them from (www.theservicepavilion.com) custom fits for no extra charge. No guessing on the size cheek and crown pads, then spending extra $$ on those. They keep your fitment records on file.
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 09:36 AM

I chose comfort and wearability, on the (potentially flawed) logic that if a company is putting enough effort into a product for it to be comfortable and well-built, they very likely paid a lot of attention to the protective aspect as well. And since a helmet needs to be DOT certified to be sold in this country anyway...

All my helmets have had various Snell ratings thus far.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:00 AM

You can always buy a "DOT" sticker at Laconia bike week, and stick that on your helmet. HAHA that's what the all the Harley dudes around here do with their skinny skid lids.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post

Right now, my only requirements are at least Snell and and internal flip down visor. I may back off on the Snell rating next go round as I am considering a modular such and the Nolan N104, but that will be a year away.
[QUOTE=Tigerpawed;588546]I chose a Shoei Neotech. It's a high quality helmet, tested heavily, with a nice feature set including built-in sun visor and pinlock. QUOTE]

Nice thread! Looking at both of these helmets. Really like the flip down sun visor.

Have the EXO 400 and always had cheaper helmets but, want to get a decend helmet. The EXO 400 has been great and is in new condition. Would like the modular with flip sun visor.

Nolan N104 = $339.00
Shoei Neotech = $596.00

Both are modulars with flip visors very cool helmets? Price difference?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 11:07 AM
djg

I have a 600 dollar Shoei Neotec flip up, DOT rated. I wear glasses.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Art...stHelmets.html

http://jalopnik.com/5582380/how-the-...urnalist-fired

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/au...s/27SNELL.html

http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/pdf...response_2.pdf

I went to some trouble to try on the Nolan and upmarket HJC flip up helmets. Only the Shoei fit my head. BTW, modular is not flip up, explained at Webbikeworld, tons of great detailed helmet reviews there.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/neotec/

Last edited by djg; 04-28-2014 at 11:15 AM.
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 11:11 AM

Anything that is tested by those stickler Europeans.
Arai and Shoei, can't get much better than that.

Hooligan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode