Helmet speakers - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Helmet speakers

My helmet preference has been with Nolan ever since I started riding. I like flip-face helmets because I wear glasses, I like the ratcheting chinstrap you can take on and off easily with gloves, like the pinlock, etc. They've also proven themselves to work as I was t-boned by a Cadillac. So I've been loyal and recommend them.

Nolan has their N-Com system for some of their helmets, seems like a cool concept. Built in pockets for speakers, mic, controls mount outside the helmet. Very slick, but prohibitively expensive for me. So I never got to take advantage of any of that.

Was trolling around for something unrelated on Amazon and found these from Skull Candy:

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Optics-Skullcandy-Communication-Accessories/dp/B0041PPYX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396617716&sr=8-1&keywords=skull+candy+smith+optics
They have more than one option, they have bluetooth ones, wired, wired with controls. Meant for some snowboard helmet.

I finally found just the speakers for $24 with free shipping. So I jumped on that as I thought, "Maybe these could be made to fit my helmet"

Got them and discovered the pockets in the helmet's foam were not wide enough to accept these Skull Candy speakers. So I got out the dremel and with a cone shaped grinding bit got to widening the pocket. Took my time and nibbled away at it till I got a snug fit. Routed a bit of a spot for the wire to go too.

Once it was all done held it firmly in place with a bit of Gorilla Tape (that stuff is great, better than duct tape... forgive me my redneck brethren).

Ran the cable out of the hole provided by Nolan for their own system, plugged the hole back in with the provided cap.

Put it on and plugged it in to my phone. Good sound quality too, can comfortably hear over my Leo Vince exhaust.

I would recommend these and this mod to anyone on a budget who wants a bit of music on the road. I'm deaf in one ear so I only had to use one, so if anyone wants the other one just ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 07:25 AM

Speakers

Some people will jump all over this about listing to music while riding. I have a Yamaha Venture with a 4 speaker stereo and wired for helmet speakers. Goldwing and BMW also have stereo systems.
For years I have had bikes with systems and now that Ipods are here I have been listing to music. I also have purchased "motorcycle headsets" and found them very useless. I have always got stereo headsets and ripped out the speakers and installed in my helmets. Most full face helmets have pockets for speakers.
I have taken a headset and ripped them apart and installed them in a set of gun ear protection muffs to cut the grass on a riding mower. Nothing more boring than cutting the grass.

Cb
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 07:35 AM

There's always someone at the bike shows making custom ear plugs with sound drivers built in to them. My personal taste is to try to hear the traffic trying to kill me (95% inner city riding)and ear buds in general make me feel isolated from the local environment. Not saying you can't ride safely with that much stuff invading your head..just that I can't. Earplugs are a must for me but earbuds are over my line.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 AM

Speakers.... second input

I forgot to mention I live in the country... Northern Arkansas, My riding is 100% back roads . I can ride for 3-4 hours and maybe see 3 cars, I have more fear of deer and buzzards than cars BUT you better also need to watch out for farmers coming out of their fields with big scary things attached to their trackers.
I also have a stereo speaker system added to the bike when going down back roads, the speed on these roads is 35-45 and I can hear my music without the full face helmet.

Cb
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 08:17 AM

My shooting muffs have an input jack so that I can plug in my phone or ipod..depending on who's on the range with me; that allows me to keep in contact or listen to pre-recorded range commands. I had speakers on my oldwing but figured that if they were loud enough for me to hear comfortably they were going to be a nuisance to someone else (once again...stuck riding in overcrowded areas). I am tempted to try a Sena unit to see if it's a good compromise for my situation.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

I prefer this setup over earbuds or in-ear solutions. Without having my ear canal blocked completely I'm still able to hear other sounds around me, which makes it a wee bit safer. I do agree it's safer to ride without than with additional distractions, sometimes being bored on a vacant straight highway has it's own set of dangers.

Also nice for turn-by-turn GPS directions being piped to your ears than relying on your eyes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Do love my nolan n104 with b4 bluetooth but as you say its expensive as b4 cost me more than the helmet
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

http://goldstarelectr.en.alibaba.com...om_FDC_01.html

Using it for about 4 years and bought a second unit just weeks ago. User friendly and lasting and most of all Cheap at about USD 50.

This is the contact in China: [email protected].

Fast and friendly service.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode