Garmin 2595 GPS review - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Garmin 2595 GPS review

While the idea of putting a GPS on a motorcycle may seem superfluous to some people, I've found it incredibly useful, both on the bike and in the car. The only pain I've found is you need to immediately remove and store it if you park your bike, even for very short periods, to keep it from being stolen. Someone needs to invent a theft proof mounting device.

This is the third GPS I've owned and the best yet so far. My last GPS was a China Vision Peaklife Motorcycle GPS. While it was very, very cheap for a motorcycle GPS (vibration and drop proof, rugged case, water proof), it required you get your own software and maps off of a torrent site and and configure and set up the software yourself. Over time I also discovered it had a few minor design flaws like a motorcycle power cradle that did not work. I had to power it on the bike by the USB cable. It also eventually broke when the internal USB plug broke. Thought of using my phone but the cost of the software and maps for the phone is half the price of this unit. Although free GPS software is available, free maps are not available for my area. Garmin software and maps for your phone is $45. Compared to a phone running GPS software, a dedicated GPS has a larger, super bright, anti reflective screen you can see in sunlight.

The unit I purchased from GPS City is labeled as "remanufactured" but sells for 40% off list and comes with full warranty ($120CDN). I was told remanufactured units are units that get returned to the distributer and are sent back to the factory to be checked over and repackaged.

Features:

Lifetime map updates for North America - very useful, these seem to be update quarterly

Software - allows lookups by address or business, eg. find nearest filling station, hotel, computer store, etc.. It also comes with a license to download Basecamp for your PC which is handy for planing motorcycle routes and then downloading them to the GPS.

Traffic Updates - the unit receives real time traffic updates which are factored into determining the best route however these don't seem to be that helpful or useful.

Voice Command - In the car you can control the unit with your voice. This works great for say adjusting the brightness or switching screens but address lookup is iffy as it has problems recognizing street names with more than one syllable. French sounding names just don't work.

Blue Tooth - allows you to integrate it with your phone and you can use it to place calls to people on your phones contact list, with just voice commands, without even touching the phone. It also functions as a hands free speaker phone accessory in this mode.

Motorcycle Mounting - RAM mounts make an excellent line of mounting accessories for this unit. In particular there is an aqua box which makes it water proof and you can still use the touch screen, or a vibration/shock resistant mounting plate for $10. You can screw the mounting box or plate down to a SW-Motech Versys GPS mounting plate directly. The unit needs to be powered from either a USB or 12V outlet on the bike ($10-$20 on ebay).

Last edited by twowheels; 03-22-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 01:17 PM

I like having the GPS mounted up as well. However, you will have a tough time convincing me that the phone is not the way to go.

(1) Cost, My iPhone 4s was free with a 2 year plan. $40/month, 1G Data.

(2) GPS Software, Free using the CoPilot GPS ap. It is easier to use than Garmin and TomTom (IMO), does not use a data plan and is completely up to date, even in remote Canada.

(3) Waterproof, using the dozens of companies that make cases for them, I have used a Pelican for the last 2 years mounted on my V.

(4) Clutter, having only one device mounted to the bike is better than two.

(5) Thousands of apps available. Unlike CoPilot, a lot or these aps use data, but it is cool to check aps like Google Earth while out on the road or trail. There are also many topographical maps available.

(6) Headset Connectivity, links to all helmet systems like Sena Bluetooth devices. So in other words it transmits Bluetooth, like high-end Garmin Zumos.

(7) Voice Commands, The 4s even has Siri that is integrated into all functions of the phone. Siri reads your e-mails, sends voice to texts. You can even carry on conversations with Siri if you a completely bored.

(8) Easy to mount, check Ram, check GIVI, lots available.

(9) Plays music, integrated into all other functions of the phone. For example your music would pause when you receive a phone call, or your music would fade when your GPS warns you of an upcoming turn.

In fact I wonder how GPS companies compete.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 02:28 PM

I kind of gave up on GPS when Garmin quit supporting their older mapping software. I had 6 Garmin street pilots of various flavors on bikes and in automobiles. I embraced the technology early and spent a good deal of money on the gadgets early on (enough to buy a new Versys at todays prices). They will never get another dime from me. I use google maps on my android now. So this isnt just a rant, tell me what I am missing.

I'm no diplomat

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
With GPS systems acquiring and producing map data, and related geographical data, local business data, etc. is a major cost. There is a significant difference in the quality of this data with GPS units usually related to cost. I could not find Canadian maps for my phone that were free. Google maps require an expensive data subscription and do not work without a data connection. The main disadvantage of a phone I find is the small screen size and the fact it is difficult to see the screen in daylight due to brightness issues, most GPS screens are anti reflective matt and brighter due to 12v power supply.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
I like having the GPS mounted up as well. However, you will have a tough time convincing me that the phone is not the way to go.

(1) Cost, My iPhone 4s was free with a 2 year plan. $40/month, 1G Data.

(2) GPS Software, Free using the CoPilot GPS ap. It is easier to use than Garmin and TomTom (IMO), does not use a data plan and is completely up to date, even in remote Canada.

(3) Waterproof, using the dozens of companies that make cases for them, I have used a Pelican for the last 2 years mounted on my V.

(4) Clutter, having only one device mounted to the bike is better than two.

(5) Thousands of apps available. Unlike CoPilot, a lot or these aps use data, but it is cool to check aps like Google Earth while out on the road or trail. There are also many topographical maps available.

(6) Headset Connectivity, links to all helmet systems like Sena Bluetooth devices. So in other words it transmits Bluetooth, like high-end Garmin Zumos.

(7) Voice Commands, The 4s even has Siri that is integrated into all functions of the phone. Siri reads your e-mails, sends voice to texts. You can even carry on conversations with Siri if you a completely bored.

(8) Easy to mount, check Ram, check GIVI, lots available.

(9) Plays music, integrated into all other functions of the phone. For example your music would pause when you receive a phone call, or your music would fade when your GPS warns you of an upcoming turn.

In fact I wonder how GPS companies compete.

Jmar,

I have both a iphone 4s and a Garmin Zumo, and an older Garmin in the car.

So, how do you manipulate the screen on your phone when its in it water proof case on the bike? Via bluetooth voice commands? Or?

When I'm in my car or walking, I prefer my iphone google maps routing to my Garmins usually. But my Zumo has two nice features though 1) non-highway routing 2) Stats on distance, speed, etc.

Trialsguy

Dave
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
.....So, how do you manipulate the screen on your phone when its in it water proof case on the bike? Via bluetooth voice commands? Or? ....
RAM mount makes a product called the Aqua Box in various sizes for phones and GPS units. It allows you to use the touch screen although I have never used one so cannot vouch for how effective this feature is.

http://www.rammount.com/Products/AQU...5/Default.aspx
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 03:32 PM

I think that it comes down to what you like & are comfortable with.
I personally prefer to start the bike & have the garmin do it's job mostly by itself. Don't own a smart phone, have no facebook presence, no twitter account, but like to have a way to find my way back home after a lapse of reality (look.....hot air balloons!!).
They all have their place & time.
They all have advantages
They all have problems
make your choice, take your chances, and pay your dues
now if this white crap will quit falling I could ride instead of talking about riding

just sayin
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 03:41 PM

I mostly use my gps for the speedometer . its a lot more accurate and its easy to see, and its up high in my line of sight so I don't have to take my eyes off the road. --------this one is a couple years old. I bought a 2555lmt from sams last week on a clearance sale for $100 -- for my truck.. I like that it shows individual lanes when you are about to turn off of a busy freeway---and it came with some audio books-- haven't been read to since--- well--never, I guess---------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gps.jpg (41.7 KB, 206 views)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
With GPS systems acquiring and producing map data, and related geographical data, local business data, etc. is a major cost. There is a significant difference in the quality of this data with GPS units usually related to cost. I could not find Canadian maps for my phone that were free. Google maps require an expensive data subscription and do not work without a data connection. The main disadvantage of a phone I find is the small screen size and the fact it is difficult to see the screen in daylight due to brightness issues, most GPS screens are anti reflective matt and brighter due to 12v power supply.
Yeh, I'm with you on the size, but, my phone has a matte protective screen protector that is just as easy to see in the sun as my fellow riders $750 Zumo. There are many phones that have a larger screens, like the Samsung Galaxy Note. But finding cases to fit might be harder. If you wanted, you could even figure out how to use a 7 inch tablet. But that might be overkill.

As for the case, yes, the Pelican that I have is incredibly waterproof and crashproof, but you have to snap open the clear lid and swing it down to use the touchscreen. This does not bother me at all, but it might not work for some people. There are cases like the "OtterBox" that you can get that keep the touchscreen function.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1015

http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-4/4S-...FSNk7AodiBwAzQ

Since you do have a smartphone and a new Garmin, try the CoPilot Ap then give us V riders a comparison.

http://copilotgps.com/us/

As for the voltage thing... not sure about that. Since the Garmin and all smartphones use a Micro USB port, I think they both charge at 5V.

Cheers.

Last edited by jmarleau; 03-26-2014 at 05:23 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post

As for the voltage thing... not sure about that. Since the Garmin and all smartphones use a Micro USB port, I think they both charge at 5V.

Cheers.
From what I've found, it's more important to make sure the charger puts out enough amperage. I have a 12v adapter that charges two USB ports. It puts out 10watts and 2amps to each USB. This makes sure you can actually charge the tablet or phone while using the GPS, Bluetooth, etc, as opposed to slowing down the battery drain, also make sure you get a good quality cable as well because I have also found that dollar store $1 cables don’t cut it either. I will be using my Android Nexus 7 in my tank bag for offline navigation with Locus/Maverick/OsmAnd/etc offline navigation, then pair it to my cell phone when I need or have reception for Google Maps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode