Motoport Kevlar Gear - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Motoport Kevlar Gear

Well, I replied to a post a few days ago about what gear I use. I mentioned a lot about Motoport Kevlar gear but I also put in that they have a crappy site and it wasnt even working at the time.

http://motoport.com/

It all better now!!! Wayne (the guys who runs Motoport) has apparently listened to all the people that bitched about his site and has updated it. Looked around a little on it and while the pics still arent quite up to the studio quality photos you will find on some manufactures web pages it is a lot better then it was. At least the the navigation is normal and its easy to find stuff.

If you are looking for REALLY REALLY GOOD motorcycle protective gear then you need to check out their Kevlar gear. Its almost just as good as leather but a hundred times more versatile. This stuff lasts for years which I can testify to. I just sold a 7 year old Motoport GP2 jacket that I grew out of to my boss for over half the price he could get a new one for. Its still in PERFECT SHAPE.

There are some good articles in their Save Your Hide section that really explains a lot of the materials that go into clothing production. Very educational. Read what they have to say about polyester. If any of your gear has polyester in it then it will most likely melt into your skin in a crash. Ouch.

Anyway, just wanted to pass this on. Motoport hardly advertises (not like Aerostich) and they rely on word of mouth. Doing what I can to spread the news. Trust me, this stuff works, looks cool, is incredibly versatile and will last forever.

Oh yeah, and every Kevlar jacket comes with a 7 year warranty. Cant beat that.

"If Caesar was alive today I would be chained to an oar".

This life is a test
It is only a test
Had it been an actual life
You would have received
Further Instructions on
Where to go and what to do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Just want to give a bump and an update to my Motoport post.

I emailed Wayne at motorport the other day to ask for some swatches of the Kevlar Mesh material due to wanting to replace my old GP2 I had to get rid of.

Get this...He emailed me back in under 10 minutes. 10 minutes!! Think about that. Were else can you get the owner of a motorcycle garment company to take the time to reply to an email AT ALL. Much less that fast.

Anyway, he said he would send me some swatches and I asked a few other questions which he answered very nicely. A couple of emails went back and forth and I have all the info I need.

Guys, you owe it to yourself to check out Motoport gear. It is the best stuff out there. Period. Hands down. Its over.

It is the only non-leather material to be approved by every major Racing organization out there. AMA, WERA, FIM...all of them.

And no, I am not a spokesman for the company. I am a motorcyclist just like you that happens to be hooning around on a Versys right now. I have owned this gear in the past, I have researched it on the web, I am missing my Motoport gear right now and I feel very vulnerable on the street.

Do yourself the favor. Check it out. Get this stuff and be protected on your bike.

Thanks.

This life is a test
It is only a test
You would have received
Further Instructions on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:00 AM

Saki Cat,

I've attempted to go to the site but it starts with a login screen. Is that correct? Is there a typo? I need new gear, so I would very much like to check it out.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 01:05 PM

First post here! I don't have a Versys yet, but I plan to very soon. Right now I have a 2007 KLX250.

I just picked up my Motoport gear (Ultra II mesh Kevlar jacket, mesh Kevlar pants, Kevlar gloves) two weeks ago, and finally got to use them yesterday. It was only 107 here yesterday, so riding home from work wasn't too bad. Still kinda stiff, but not too bad. So I think I will wash them a few times to soften them up. Wayne at Motoport really is a great guy. I decided to make the trip to Escondido from Phoenix to look at the gear and get measured there, rather than emailing back and forth and back and forth. Just so happened that he had a jacket and pants in stock that fit me just fine, so I left there with the new gear instead of having to wait a couple of weeks. I'll post a pic of me wearing the stuff as soon as I get a good one. Hopefully, I will have a Versys in the next few weeks, and will post a pic of that as well!

Don
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 01:08 PM

Like Chris, I'm getting a logon screen too...with no option to register if you are a new user!

Would definitely like to check it out...I even tried going direct rather than thru the link supplied....no luck.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

I just tried to log in as well and the site is still down.

This is actually sort of a running joke about motoport. They have had a crappy website for YEARS and have only just updated it. But it still goes down from time to time.

Oddly enough, the other day when I emailed Wayne I put a link in my email to this forum with my post about his gear. Just to let him know I was spreading the word. When he tried to open it THIS SITE WAS DOWN!!!

I even tried to log in and I couldnt get our forums to come up. My only answer is the Wayne is cursed when it comes to websites.

Really tho...there is a thread on ADVrider.com that is HUGE and those guys joke as well about how crappy the site is. But Wayne has responded to this by saying that they are doing incredible business and thats even with a less then perfect site and no advertising. There is also a lot of good info in the the ADV post so I will link it.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...light=motoport

I did forget to mention...there is sometimes a wait for motoport gear. If you need a standard size or colors there probably wont be a wait. But if you want custom gear there could be a delay. But at least Motoport offers this customization. Wayne says he can make anything for anybody.

I will keep checking on the site.

This life is a test
It is only a test
You would have received
Further Instructions on

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

By the way...

Hi Don! Welcome to the forums!

You are lucky to live so close by. I am dreading the email/sizing thing when I order my new gear soon. I might just ride out to California to his shop and see what he has in stock. If he doesnt have anything that fits he can at least take my measurements. And I can see all the different jackets and figure out which one I want most.

Please post pics when you get your gear. I am thinking about the Ultra II mesh jacket as well and would really love to see it on someone. Hopefully in black.

Those gloves to. I have seen a couple of pics and they look really nice.

Hope to hear from you soon.

This life is a test
It is only a test
You would have received
Further Instructions on

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Found another link I had about motoport stuff.

http://motoport.blogspot.com/

This life is a test
It is only a test
You would have received
Further Instructions on

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 07:32 PM

Bought the jacket in hiviz and grey pants. They vent really well and are comfortable. It is pricey but seems extremely resistant. Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moto - 05.jpg (76.5 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg Moto - 02.jpg (55.6 KB, 412 views)
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 08:21 PM

Here is a quick pic that my wife took Friday morning as I was getting ready to go to work. (I hope this works)

Last edited by wesseld; 09-07-2008 at 08:23 PM.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 09:26 PM

Also getting the log in page. Are we plugging in the right address? I'd like to see the Motoport gear, but can't get on.

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I just tried it again and its still down. Have no idea why. Thats just motoport.

I might email Wayne and see whats going on with this. He has to know that the web is the main source of info concerning e-commerce and that by his site being down he is potentially loosing customers. I know that hes says business is booming and they have all the work they can handle but damn...if its that good then expand you employee base and take this thing to then next level of production.

Oh well, all I can say is please dont let this internet foible put you off from the gear. It really is good stuff. And it might not be Waynes fault. It could be that his Webmaster is liquored up and face down in a ditch somewhere.

By the way....awesome color combo FoDuFafa. The high viz looks really good with the grey. Nice choice. And those reflective strips really seem to work looking at how much they shine just in the camera flash. My old GP2 jacket didnt have any reflective stripes.

Don, thats a good looking jacket to. I prefer black myself and am thinking about doing some kind of high viz or red treatment to mine as well.

I will keep checking on the site and I will let you know when I email Wayne.

This life is a test
It is only a test
You would have received
Further Instructions on

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 AM

Thanks SakiCat. The color that I really liked was the red but I went for the most conspicuous color available just for safety sake. Between that and the auxiliary lights that I installed on the bike, I must say that I have not had anyone cut me so far (I hope I didn't just jinxed myself).

BTW, I also took the top-bottom zipper option and the tighs padding. If you think of gear in dollars, then it seems expensive. If you think of gear as in percent of bike value (10%-15%) and savings in hospital bills, then it becomes a much better proposition. I am usually a cheap ass in life, but I can't figure out folks who spend $8K for the bike and don't hesitate to spend on aftermarket mods, but don't want to spend 10% of that on safety gear. You owe it to yourself and family.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 01:15 PM

Here is a link that seems to work. http://www.motoport.com/Default.asp

Motoport looks good. I'm looking at pants that don't look like you have a load of crap in them.

Jerry

2008 - Red Versys
Mikes Grand Touring Shield
Cortech Bags
Painted Plastics
Shad 46 Top Case

It matters not how fast you go from point A to point B, it’s what you see in between that counts.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 07:03 PM

So, you're saying I have a load of crap in my pants... uh wait a minute, I think I DO!

Don
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Yep, the site is up and running. I did email Wayne and he said the site went down on Saturday but came back up again. He had no idea why.

FouDuFafa, thats an excellent point about how much people want to spend on gear. After buying and $7000 or more on a bike and loading it up with either pipes and performance mods, or tons of luggage and lights and GPS then people bitch that a good motorcycle jacket is going to cost them a little over $400. And I see guys riding around all day with nothing on, I mean NO protection. Or some crappy little poly/textile jacket that isnt gonna do crap in a crash.

Actually, I cant really say anything about that. Until I can get the dosh to pay for my new Ultra II then I am one of those guys riding around in a crappy poly/textile.

Really guys, you owe it to yourself to check out Motoport. It is simply, in my opinion, the best gear out there.

This life is a test
It is only a test
You would have received
Further Instructions on

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the heads up. Always good to hear about good customer service & good products, even if the web site is... intermittent.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 09:20 PM

I have had the Ultra II pants and jacket (not Kevlar) since 99. Great stuff and actually cooler to ride in than jeans!! When I fused the zipper on an exhaust pipe Wayne did a 2 day turn around for new zipper and patch job. The black is getting a bit faded but still going strong! When mail ordering just follow the measurement instructions on the web site (when it works) and don't worry about what size the garments say when it shows up. Mine say small??? which I haven't worn in 35 years, but fit great!

Bill

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Hey Bad-Tat, where can i find that blank map of the usa to color in the states I have ridden in?

Just curious. Thanks.

This life is a test
It is only a test
You would have received
Further Instructions on

Last edited by Saki Cat; 09-25-2008 at 08:56 AM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 03:09 PM

http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/

Bill

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode