Modular Helmets.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Modular Helmets....

I've never owned a modular helmet, and want to try one......I don't want to buy a 3-700 dollar one not knowing if I will like them...

I've been looking around, and the Gmax GM54S has good reviews for a cheaper helmet, also a guy I ride with (who is a BMW owner) has one, and likes it a lot...

Anybody have one, or have any thoughts ??

'15 DL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 04:23 PM

Garage
I looked at the Gmax helmets. But really like my Nolan N90 I've seen them for less than $200.00 lately. I'll never buy anything but a modular helmet.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 05:11 PM

I don't think any modular helmets are Snell.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 06:06 PM

Garage
I have that Gmax, I loved it, I just upgraded to a Nolan last year and love that one even more, but for the money, the Gmax is excellent.

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 06:12 PM

I need to wear my glasses all the time, so I really like the modular type helmets. I had wrecked so I retired my old helmet. I didn't have much choice so I went with a Fulmer helmet. I believe it cost around 120.00 I have tried others on. The Fulmer seems to be loud to me, but I haven't ridden with the other brands. I have a full face, but it is hard to get my glasses on right with the full face.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
I've never owned a modular helmet, and want to try one......I don't want to buy a 3-700 dollar one not knowing if I will like them...

I've been looking around, and the Gmax GM54S has good reviews for a cheaper helmet, also a guy I ride with (who is a BMW owner) has one, and likes it a lot...

Anybody have one, or have any thoughts ??
Unless you can try the helmet on, stick with the brand you wear now. Brands tend to keep the same head shape throughout their line. For instance, I know HJC helmets fit my head so I can buy any HJC with confidence.
Generally, if you are coming from a full face to modular, you'll find the modular to be a little bulkier, a little heavier and a little noisier than a comparable FF helmet, having the additional hinges and mechanisms associated with the modular design. The tradeoff is you get to raise the chin bar at will.
I've worn modular helmets since I've had to start riding with eyeglasses. I'm thinking about getting Laser eye surgery soon (reference another thread I recently started), if I have that done and no longer need glasses to ride, I'll immediately go back to a FF helmet as I really only need to lift the chin bar to get in and out of the helmet without removing my glasses.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 07:28 AM

Garage
Like all helmets, not all modulars are created equal.

I did a fair amount of research and tried on several last year at this time. I ended up with a Nolan N104. A lot of people say modulars are a bit more noisy but I wear ear plugs anyway. The other drawback is that they are typically a bit heavier.

I like being able to pull over for a drink (water) at a wayside, talk to a fellow rider, etc. without having to take my helmet off. The drop down sun visor on the N104 is nice too. I'll never buy a helmet without it.

Here is a website that I used to look at helmet reviews. Many of the modulars had poor side impact ratings and pay attention to the % rating for staying fully locked on impact.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/nolan-n104

Mitch
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 08:07 AM

Several years ago I bought a Shoei modular helmet. Loved it, but mechanical issues made me return. Got an RF1100 instead. The rf100 was lighter and quieter, but it sure was nice to be able to open the helmet for more airflow at traffic lights in the 100 degree Texas heat. I added an HJC modular to my collection and it is OK. Fit and finish are just not up to Shoei standards. I will not hesitate to buy another Shoei modular when my rf1100 wears out.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-Steady View Post
Like all helmets, not all modulars are created equal.

I did a fair amount of research and tried on several last year at this time. I ended up with a Nolan N104. A lot of people say modulars are a bit more noisy but I wear ear plugs anyway. The other drawback is that they are typically a bit heavier.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/nolan-n104

Mitch
Ive got the Nolan N104 and the B4 Bluetooth system to go with it and works for me, it is a bit more noisy than my old shark helmet but in my opinion the pros outweight the cons, my work also has provided me with special moulded air plugs that I think cost around $600 nz, these plugs allow me to work around heavy machinery but can still listen to human voices. Going to try them out with the helmet and see what they are like while still listening to my music through the Bluetooth system.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 04:08 PM

Been through several Vemar helmets (all modular, Bluetooth and non.).

Round Oval Shape (can't wear AFX and similar)

Love them.

Interior sun visor is addictive.

Ratcheting quick release chin strap is great. . Set it and forget it

More noise than a solid helmet but worth the convenience as a glasses and ear bud wearer. Plus the ability to have a quick (audible) conversation at lights and other ops.

Like it has been said above, try them on first. Actual road test is the tricky bit.

post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 05:39 PM

Cycle Gear has a showroom full of helmets, starting at 99$ for a modular, my next helmet i'm going to try them.
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 06:07 PM

One thing to remember about modular helmets is they are usually a good bit larger than a standard helmet. (Physical size wise) I wear an XS helmet, all of the modular helmets I tried on I felt like a bobble head. Most of them only come in one shell size.

Just another thing to consider.

This past season I tried on, and purchased a ton of helmets. After my bad crash last season I deiced to retire my Suomy Vandal. One of the lightest helmets out there for the price. It was annoyingly loud. Even with ear plugs in.

After owning 6 lids, and trying on probably 25+ I went with an XS Qwest. Shoei makes some of the best helmets out there. Latches, detents, vents, liner, visor quality, you name it. I think anyways... Made my Bell RS-1, Shark RSI and Vandal feel like toys.

Look into the Shoei Multitec, it is a bit older. But you can find them for great prices on ebay brand new. It is pretty light too!

Hooligan
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 09:16 PM

I have a Neotec, beautiful build quality, a little noisier than I expected - but if I stand up the noise goes away, so that means it's the airflow on the V that's at fault.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 10:16 PM

I have a Nolan N90 and love it. I came out of a Bilt modular from Cycle Gear. The Bilt helmets are okay; however, they are a bit heavy and noisy. I love the ratchet strap system on the Nolan's and the light weight. Look on Competition Accessories. They usually have pretty good deals. I have seen some Nolan helmets around the $200 mark.

Good Luck
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
...I've worn modular helmets since I've had to start riding with eyeglasses. I'm thinking about getting Laser eye surgery soon (reference another thread I recently started), if I have that done and no longer need glasses to ride, I'll immediately go back to a FF helmet as I really only need to lift the chin bar to get in and out of the helmet without removing my glasses.
I use modulars too, because of wearing eyeglasses, but not ALL the time.

As for laser surgery - be advised that you can have "haloing" around lights after the surgery - my wife has, and can NOT drive after dark. She can't tell if traffic is in her lane (head-on) or the other lane....

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconia View Post
Cycle Gear has a showroom full of helmets, starting at 99$ for a modular, my next helmet i'm going to try them.
What I would recommend.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
As for laser surgery - be advised that you can have "haloing" around lights after the surgery - my wife has, and can NOT drive after dark. She can't tell if traffic is in her lane (head-on) or the other lane....

I know, I don't want to derail this thread but if you could take the time to add more detail in this thread http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=50305
it would be appreciated. How long did the halos last after the surgery?
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 PM

The thing about modular helmets is the only thing that holds the chin bar down are 2 hooks which latch onto 2 small posts. My concern is if you take a digger and the right amount of force is applied to the helmet in the right place you can say goodbye to your chin bar, which, as your sliding down the road can catch on things. So you might want to consider how much you like your face before you get one. Regardless, I have a few friends who ride with them and the only reason they seem to own them is so they can smoke with their lids on.

I highly recommend spending your money on a full face. As a generalization they tend to be a I have had a Shark S700 for the last 4 years and will replace it some point this summer with either a Shoei or and Arai. I also am blind as a bat without my glasses and have never had problems with them being uncomfortable but the wings on the side are quite thin. If you have big chunky glasses, the helmet that you will find allows you adequate comfort will probably be a shell size to big.

As I used to tell customers who would go after a cheap helmet "how much is your life worth?" Yes it was a sales tactic but I much prefer to have a face at the end of the day.

I apologise for the self opinionated rant but I have seen to much carnage to not wear a quality full face and voice my opinion.
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:33 PM

I've seen a lot of statistics and not once has any of them suggested modular helmets or expensive helmets are less effective. There are many stories of crashes with modular helmets and I don't recall one of them claiming the modular helmet was the cause of any injuries, likewise for sub $300 helmets.
On the flip side, statistics don't say they are more effective in crashes either.
Ever try to get a FF helmet off of an unconscious crash victim without pulling on their head and neck?
If you were unconscious, with a neck injury and had thrown up in your FF helmet, you would probably wish for a modular.
Just saying, things aren't always as black and white as they seem.
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 07:25 AM

DOT certification is on the honor system. Snell is independent. When I see a Snell sticker on one I might give it a try. Ever see a modular on any serious racer?
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
DOT certification is on the honor system. Snell is independent. When I see a Snell sticker on one I might give it a try. Ever see a modular on any serious racer?
Never saw a modular on a "racer" of which i'm not.....

But i do see that most long distance riders (all of the ones that I know) wear modular helmets.....

'15 DL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode