Joseph, Scala or Sena - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
rlj

Joseph, Scala or Sena

Joseph, I've heard you mention the Scala numerous times and I assume you like it.....did you ever try the Sena SMH10? I've researched a bit over the last few weeks however wanted to hear your thoughts as you seem to have a lot of tech type stuff.

Thanks for your reply in advance,

RLJ

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
05 HD Sportster Roadster 1200
02 Malaguti F12 Phantom 49cc Italian Scooter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 11:01 PM

Garage
I've had 2 Scala Q-2's and now have the Scala G9. Never had an issue with any of the Scala products. The speakers are thicker on the G9 and much better and the Q2's had good speakers. Since my GF is riding with me i was actually looking at the Sena 10's today all the reviews are good on them and a buddy of mine in texas love his Sena 10. and Amazon has good prices on both the G9 and Scena 10. I'm happy with the G9 but want to check out the Sena 10's. I don't think you would make a mistake no matter which one you went with. I'll be getting a new set of the G9's or the Sena 10's in the next week or two.

Not sure if i helped or just made it more confusing for you. But if all else fails just flip a coin.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
rlj

Sounds like its a toss up and you can't go wrong with either product. The Sena is coming out with the 20S but I don't think I can wait that long........

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
05 HD Sportster Roadster 1200
02 Malaguti F12 Phantom 49cc Italian Scooter

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 09:50 PM

Scala or U Clear communication

Does anyone have any experience with them both? The U Clear does not have a boom mic.Is that an advantage or disadvantage?

May God bless you to be and do everything He ever intended for you to be or do. Pass that on to others 'cause they need it too! ( Even if you don't like them.)
;- )
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sena SMH20 is being released this month!

Bluetooth 4.0 - 1.6 mile range
FM radio
Intercom to ANY other manufacturer's BT headset

If you want to stay with the Sena SMH10 or SMH10R because it is cheaper - there is currently an firmware upgrade to add "Intercom to ANY other manufacturer's BT headset" feature.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 02:07 PM

I got a pair of Sena SMH10s last June. They're OK when they work, but one of the units has begun to work only intermittently, and I've been so busy at work that I have not had time to communicate with Sena about it. I don't have high expectations about their customer service; I hope I'm wrong. They seem to be an engineering-focused company instead of a customer-focused company, if that makes sense.

My SMH10 worked fine (albeit not loud enough for my taste) for about six months, and then one day it fell out of my tank bag and onto the asphalt. A drop of about four feet. Nervously, I attached the unit to my helmet and it worked -- for about four minutes. Then it stopped working.

I was pretty sure that I hadn't run down the battery, but I recharged it. The red light turned blue, indicating that it was charging, and afterward, it worked again, this time for about an hour of use. Then abruptly it stopped working again. I recharged it -- it didn't work. I let it sit on a shelf for two weeks, then attached it to my helmet and voila, it worked. For about 20 minutes.

I don't know if the drop had anything to do with the intermittent functioning. Probably did. But I think this particular product should withstand a drop of four feet onto asphalt because such drops are inevitable.

There are other things that I love about the Sena. The music integration works well, the ability to use voice commands with the iPhone, and the ability to use a bridge device (the SM10) to connect all this with FRS radio, which allowed me to communicate with my wife while she followed me in the minivan.

Sena's stuff is very well thought-out, very flexible, and I think it looks better than the competition. The controls are easy to use with gloves on. You can take the unit off the helmet easily so you can lock the helmet to the bike and take the Sena unit away -- similar to having a car radio with a removable face plate. But I'm disappointed by durability and sound volume.

And once I contact Sena and get a reply, I'll share the experience here. If their customer service is good, they deserve to have that story added to my tale of woe.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500

Last edited by Holden; 04-02-2014 at 02:11 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 05:41 AM

I've had both...IMO the Sena SMH10 is much better...........

'15 DL1000
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 03:20 PM

I had difficulty tracking down the receipt from when I bought my SMH-10 that later malfunctioned. But I finally found it, and the folks at Sena have been responsive and have given me an RMA number. It looks like they'll repair or replace it under warranty, and without dragging their heels or acting adversarily.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 12:42 PM

I've had the Sena SMH10 since January and can't be happier.

It connects to my riding buddies Sena and is easy to setup and to use while riding. Volume has not been an issue. As Gigitt mentioned ab ove, there's a firmware upgrade that says it will allow it to connect to other manufacturers BT headsets, but I can't confirm that.

Some of the best money spent on gear.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 06:37 PM

I have a sena smh-10r and love it. They just released a firmware update that allows intercom with any headset brand and I also have a bluetooth adapter (gp-10) for my go pro that allows crystal clear voice over wirelessly. I mainly use my headset for music but i Locke the intercom a lot.....never made a phone call with it......my phone doesn't have bluetooth......
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrPopNFresh View Post
my phone doesn't have bluetooth......
Does it have a hand crank?

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post

Hahahaha!!!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post

Hahaha! No I didn't get one of those either....
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 10:38 PM

You guys had me excited that I could upgrade the firmware on my Sena SMH10.
I downloaded and installed the firmware upgrader and it wouldn't recognize the SMH10.
It turns out I have the SMH10A, (the a should stand for ancient) which can't have it's firmware upgraded as it only has a round power plug port and not a USB connection.
Their website made it sound like any Sena device could have it's firmware upgraded and I thought it was amazing they managed send data over a round power port looking connection.

Now I feel like I have one of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-04-26 23.30.05.jpg (62.8 KB, 84 views)

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:25 PM

Check the vendor thread for Atomic Moto on ADVRider. Adam's price is very good and support is excellent. You need to PM him for price.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Can any of you Sena owners confirm it will connect and play nicely with Scala G3/G9 units? All the riders in my group are Scala owners, but I'd like to know what options are available to me.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 09:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
Can any of you Sena owners confirm it will connect and play nicely with Scala G3/G9 units? All the riders in my group are Scala owners, but I'd like to know what options are available to me.
All the sena models will work with other brands. I use mine to communicate with a Cardo unit. You do need to plug then into a computer though to get the latest firmware which adds additional features.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
All the sena models will work with other brands. I use mine to communicate with a Cardo unit. You do need to plug then into a computer though to get the latest firmware which adds additional features.
Awesome - I picked up the 20s late last week..should arrive hopefully in the next day or two! Super stoked!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 11:14 AM

Garage
I am still using the gen 1 sena smh10. Keeps on working after 100,000 miles of use. Mostly use it to stream music, and GPS when on tours. I also intercom with a buddy who has the second gen sena.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:17 PM

Garage
Deleted

Last edited by twowheels; 08-26-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode