Armored Jean You'd recommend? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Armored Jean You'd recommend?

I am looking for a new pair of armored riding jeans. I have a pair of Cortech DSX jeans that I really dont like because the knee armor hangs really low, does not stay in front of my knee and seems like it will not be where its needed if I fell. So my question is: has anyone bought a pair of armored jeans that they really like and would recommend? I am also thinking of buying Bohn Armor as well and just wear that under a pair of levis or carhartts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 03:19 PM

Dont have a pair but i hear good things about ICON jeans

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E.™ Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 05:55 PM

Im going to check the Draggin Jeans, their stuff looks just like the old navy jeans i wear all the time that actually fit me. I tried Joe Rocket, and those things are made for women. The waist line sits right on your hips. Like the jeans you see younger girls wearing now, "hip huggers." Not a good look on a man, that and the space between the top of the jeans by your waist and down to your crotch is crazy small. You pretty much have to tuck your"self" into one pant leg or the other.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 06:33 PM

I have a couple of pairs of Draggin' Jeans... love them, comfy as, i wear them too my work, and throughout the day. Ive had one small off with no damage to the jeans ...i would highly recommend the Bohn gear if your not wearing leathers tho as there is no real padding at all (except for the anti-abrasion Kevlar knit in the knees and butt area) in the jeans.
i have a buddy who has Hornee jeans, they are a slightly different cut but are basically the same thing.

http://dragginjeans.com.au/index.htm
http://www.hornee.com.au/site/

Last edited by sambamboo; 08-11-2009 at 07:22 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:02 PM

Duluth trading company fire hose canvas pants

See http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/c...ure=product_15 I've had a pair since christmas- fit like a pair of man pants..

MB
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 06:13 AM

Denim Pants

My wife might purchase the ALPINESTARS RODEO DENIM TEXTILE PANTS , they come with CE Armor, are available in two colors I think. ( Black - Blue ).
Personally I prefere regular motorcycle pants over my everyday jeans. Denim is a weak material for that " what if " occasion.

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:38 AM

+1 on Draggin Jeans super comfy and tough as hell
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:19 AM

Andreas, I think we all know that jeans aren't good protection. We are looking at the jeans with kevlar and appropriate pads. Check the video on the Draggin Jeans web site.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:08 AM
psc

I normally wear the Aerostich or the Motoport for commuting to/from work. On the odd occasion that I ride for pleasure and the day is not hot, I'll wear a Vanson jacket and a Diamond Gusset jeans (www.gussetclothing.com) with Bohn armor pants underneath. The Diamond Gusset has Kelvar patches all over (knee, hip/thigh, butt) and is cut a bit more generous so that the Bohn armor fits really well. It fits me better than the Draggin Jeans or regular Levis when sitting on the bike. But because of the Kevlar patches and the Bohn pants underneath, you will sweat if the ambient temperature goes above 80F and you're in bumper-bumper traffic crawl. But, the gusset patch along the crotch keeps the 'boys' relative stress-free. The waist is a higher cut and it has extra belt loops to prevent the plumber's ass-crack look while riding a sports bike. Finally, it has a velcro strap on each cuff to adjust the closure to the boot and prevent flapping while underway. Oh yeah for the protectionists among us , it's made in TN USA.
Peter
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Check out Hood Jeans. They are a UK company, but will ship to the US. Have much more protection that Draggin' Jeans or the like. Kevlar lining is down to boot top height. They even make a pant that I can wear to work and no one can tell they are motorcycle jeans. Optional Knox armor, both knee and hip, make you feel even safer. Cost a bit more than US made gear, but I went down in a pair and didn't get a hint of road rash. Highly recommended...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to turnerdh
I bought a couple pair of Sliders from compacc.com. They fit really well. What I like is you can buy them in Khaki or cargo pants of various colors with the kevlar as well as the jean versions.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:37 AM

I have the Cortech and really like them. Bought them just before riding in 111 degree heat for 4 days. Worked great. Yeah, the knee pads are low when you're standing, but when sitting on the V they are just right for me.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
Andreas, I think we all know that jeans aren't good protection. We are looking at the jeans with kevlar and appropriate pads. Check the video on the Draggin Jeans web site.
Thanks - gave the info to my wife, she's looking at different pants. Now if I could only be smart enough to actually be an ATGATT. I'm waiting for cooler weather and that's just a lame excuse.

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:18 AM

The video on their web site is pretty cool. I looked at jeans for my gf on their website yesterday. Only bummer there is that they only offer one style for women. And the only negative thing I can see at the moment is the fact that the armor is velcro on. I'd prefer they fit into a pocket of some sort.

Last edited by mcampana; 08-13-2009 at 09:21 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
If you wear jeans consider wearing something like the Icon Fieldarmor knee/shin pads underneath. Motorcycle jeans don't give you much protection on their own over regular jeans.

I bought the Draggin Jeans liners, basically Kevlar long underwear, and was very disappointed, they started to come appart and fray after only a few washes and don't look like they would provide any abrasion resistance as I can pull the stretchy Kevlar fabric appart with my hand - Kevlar's abrasion resistance is dependant on how it is woven together and blended with other materials.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-26-2009 at 07:42 PM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:25 PM

Motoport also has jean style pants...you can get them in mesh or stratch kevlar, armour included... Now only if their website would be working so I could link a picture
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:38 PM

Wear whatever jeans you like with riding overpants. Your jeans will be cheaper and more comfortable and your riding pants will offer better protection. Check www.newenough.com for great deal of pants and excellent customer service.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 05:15 PM

I read good things about these jeans
http://www.esquad.fr/collection.php?...(M)&version=en

Pricey as hell (300euro) but they are made from ARMALITH® witch is as close to the leather as you can get.

Cheeper and probably my next jeans are above mentioned Alpinstars Rodeo Denim jeans.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...t--622552.html

Tried them once in the shop but other then that, not much experience. They don't give a lot of confidence and knee pads make them fill stiff for casual wearing. Or maybe they brake-in?

Cheers.

Edit:

I don't have any "motorcycle" jeans at the moment, but if I'm going to wear regular jeans I always wear this underneath
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...V--614093.html

Last edited by Ivan V; 10-03-2009 at 05:21 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 05:33 PM

I have some of these!

Fall Defender Jeans Sale Event | Rave Review at WebBikeWorld.com http://cmpgnr.com/r.html?c=1532254&r...g=0&f=91249394

http://cmpgnr.com/r.html?c=1532254&r...g=0&f=91249394

Now through Monday October 5th, use promo code KEVLAR at checkout, and save 20% off any number of pairs of Defender Motorcycle Jeans. And get free USA shipping, too. This is the best price of the year, but this offer is only good through Monday October 5th.

Men's Defender Motorcycle Jean covers you where it counts, yet is so comfortable you may forget you're wearing abrasion protection. That's because only Defender has flexible woven Kevlar in the seat, hips, and knees, and our trademark gusset in the crotch. Shop.

Big Men's Defender Motorcycle Jean available up to waist 60. Shop.

Read the Rave Review by WebBikeWorld just released. "I hereby state that the Diamond Gusset Defender jeans are the most comfortable jeans I've ever worn for motorcycling. Very comfortable and good-looking jeans with a Kevlar bonus!" Read the review HERE.

Clearance Items. Shop the Latest Reductions

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Sharrison56 I just ordered a pair. I figure for $80 i have little to lose. I recently bought a set of ICON shin and knee armor. Not too uncomfortable. Took a little getting used to at first as it harder to bend your knee. I do find myself not using them on short (most) rides due to the pain these are to put on and off, never mind if you even need to drop the kids off at the pool while wearing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode