Sand (II) experiences? Protective quality? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sand (II) experiences? Protective quality?

Hi guys,

I'm looking into buying some proper gear. I do have a leather jacket now and a textile pants, but I want a four season textile suit. I ran into the Rev'it Sand (and Sand II) and can only find good reviews about fitting and hot and cold weather performance.

But the reason for me buying a proper suit is safety and I can't really find much info about abrasion of this particular suit and can't tell how good 500D protects me, up to 750D in some parts. It does have CE protective hard parts on shoulders, elbows and knees. I'm sure it's good for 50 km/h sliders, but how about high-way speeds 100-130 km/h? Will it still be able to protect me abrasion wise? I know leather is the best, but the Dutch weather can be wet, cold, warm and, well.. wet. Leather suit is not really an option for me, too cold now for instance.

If you guys have some knowledge about this or other tips/ideas for similar suits in the price range of the Sand (and available in Europe), with good abrasion qualities that would be great! Would like to have it in bright colors, not the high-viz yellow (have a vest for that) but also not full black, since my bike already is. And that would be all too dark.

Tried to look around on the forum, but couldn't really find the info I'm looking for. Thanks!

Cheers,
Brasi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 04:50 PM

Aerostich Roadcrafter is supposed to hold up to one crash. Never tested it out but good stuff . . . and a little expensive. I have one Roadcrafter with full pads and one without. I like the one without the best.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Aerostich Roadcrafter is supposed to hold up to one crash. Never tested it out but good stuff . . . and a little expensive. I have one Roadcrafter with full pads and one without. I like the one without the best.
I agree - Aerostich, in my opinion, is excellent. It is expensive but it can be custom tailored and is very durable. It's a case of "you get what you pay for" and my skin is worth it. And if it's damaged, they can repair it.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I'm a big fan of Olympia xmoto. It is the same price as the Sand with the same feature set but is heavier made. The Sand is very, very slightly more comfortable though due to the lighter weight. In reality both are excellent and I would chose either before any other piece of gear. The thing I love about gear like this is the versatility. It works in the heat, in the cold and in the rain and still provides decent protection in a crash. Even though I have other jackets I seldom wear anything else except maybe mesh gear in the stifling heat.

I slid from 45mph to a stop in my Olympia jacket made of 500D/2000D Cordura. 500D in the body and 2000D on the strike points. There was no damage to the jacket except the elbow I had most of my weight pressed on. The elbow was reinforced with 2000D Cordura and eventually wore through at the seam however no damage to me as armor still provided second layer of abrasion protection. My feeling is the only thing that will wear through is a pressure point and this will very likely be a common strike point like the elbow/forearm or shoulder which are armored.

From what I've read Dupont Cordura or clone materials are the most abrasion resistant textiles. They are used by pretty much all high end gear manufacturers from Rev'It to Aerostitch to Olympia. I would avoid polyester as it is much less abrasion resistant.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Last edited by twowheels; 12-19-2013 at 06:00 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

@waltermitty and Arion; Thanks for the replies. The only thing is that I never found these brands in The Netherlands, so I'm not sure if this is an option for me. Will look into it. Don't want to purchase these items based on measurement indexes on the internet.

@twowheels; thanks for the info on your experiences and unfortunate slide, glad you ended up without serious injuries (well, that's what I made up of your story). On the Sand jackets the impact points also have armor under the fabric, but not more than 500/750D (stretch) though. But also Olympia I never found in The Netherlands. Hope to find some more info!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasi View Post
But the reason for me buying a proper suit is safety and I can't really find much info about abrasion of this particular suit and can't tell how good 500D protects me, up to 750D in some parts. It does have CE protective hard parts on shoulders, elbows and knees. I'm sure it's good for 50 km/h sliders, but how about high-way speeds 100-130 km/h? Will it still be able to protect me abrasion wise? I know leather is the best, but the Dutch weather can be wet, cold, warm and, well.. wet. Leather suit is not really an option for me, too cold now for instance.
I have a Sand jacket, and I would hate to take a long slide in it. And that goes double for the Sand II which I think changed from nylon to polyester shell fabric. I don't trust the seams to hold for most of the textile gear we get here. Aerostich is a rare exception, with very sturdy construction, but even there, the fabrics aren't really stout enough. 500D Cordura on the roadcrafter which I'd expect to wear through in about 2 seconds of sliding. And some of their garments use lighter fabric.

In general I think the only way to be confident that textile gear is suitable for a slide at freeway/motorway speeds is if it has a CE level 2 rating. Some textile does pass, but even a lot of leather won't. We don't get much CE rated gear in our shops here, maybe you get more in the Netherlands?

There's a list of CE rated gear here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783126

Would you consider waterproof leathers? You'd have choices like BMW Atlantis 4, Aerostich Transit, or Harley FXRG. There used to be more choices, but that's all I know of today.

Last edited by davidg; 12-21-2013 at 01:57 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info davidg! This was what I was looking for, I'm thinking about skipping the Sand and look further. Waterproof leather doesn't sound that bad, but I'm still afraid it's too cold for using here.

I also found some more info about seconds of protection when sliding with textile gear and I must say I was a bit surprised about the protection. They sell it as if it is really good stuff, but in the end I thought it would be more protective than what I found. But in the end off course it is a lot better than a normal jacket or t-shirt I guess... Will look into it a bit better before deciding where to go for! Thanks for all the info so far.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 10:48 PM

I find textile really easy to adapt to changing weather, but is leather that bad in the cold with insulation under it? I commute in a heated jacket liner in the Winter, and it seems like that should keep me warm under leather. I might give it a try.

I haven't had waterproof leather gear before myself, but my size Aerostich Transit pants were on sale and I've ordered them, so I will soon enough.

It seem like safe textiles exist. For example Clover Tekno WP and Weise Avance. Never seen them, but I think we can order them here. I'd be a lot more likely to buy if I could try 'em on.

Good luck finding the right gear.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 07:04 PM

I have the Sand 2 and I'm impressed by the comfort features. Fit is a bit tight tho with the winter liner inside, but hey, that's just me. I have not tested abrasion resistance so far but in general road use, you'll probably crash into something after 20~30 meters or so anyways. You can replace the included protectors by better ones, especially the roam part in the back.

Other good gear is from Mohawk and Pharao, both are brands of the German shop chain Polo. Maybe you have one of them close to where you live? They even had leather on the shoulders and lower arms and the relevant places of the pants. These are around 200~300 Euro per piece.

All-weather leather is probably the best option you can buy, but also the most expensive.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode