good deal for helmet? $33 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

good deal for helmet? $33

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matte-Black-...841581&vxp=mtr even comes with a clear and smoked shield. i would probably need a xxxl in an off brand. I bought a cheap xxl one time and it was too tight. ended up buying a couple shoei quest xl that fit perfect. ($199 at motorcycle superstore outlet) in Louisville----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Seems like a good deal to me!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Banned

Get it if you want.
I have five helmets at home, my daily commuter is a cheap-o like that ($19.51).

As you may know.
They are only DOT Cert'd and lining material is of lesser grade.
I'm guessing you probably can't new visors but WTF
They do list the head circumference/size.

As this thread seasons you'll get "feedback" from the naysayers.
But is a 200$ helmet 6 times better than a 33$ helmet or is it
20% better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspark52 View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matte-Black-...841581&vxp=mtr even comes with a clear and smoked shield. i would probably need a xxxl in an off brand. I bought a cheap xxl one time and it was too tight. ended up buying a couple shoei quest xl that fit perfect. ($199 at motorcycle superstore outlet) in Louisville----

Last edited by Seeya; 12-12-2013 at 10:34 AM.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
Get it if you want.
I have five helmets at home, my daily commuter is a cheap-o like that.
As you may know.
They are only DOT Cert'd and lining material is of lesser grade.
I'm guessing you probably can't new visors but WTF
They do list the head circumference/size.

As this thread seasons you'll get "feedback" from the naysayers.
But is a 200$ helmet 6 times better than a 33$ helmet or is it
20% better.
I probably would buy one if they offered a xxxl ---my wife and I both have exceptionally large heads (although hers(unlike mine) is quite pleasant to look at, and doesn't scare the neighbor kids. but the shoei xl fits us both like they were custom made for us.----------
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Just got the Scorpion EXO-1000 in matt black from sportbiketrackgear for $54.95 shipped.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 12:32 PM

Garage
As a secondary, occasional use, passenger helmet it sounds ideal at the price. But as a primary use helmet it probably leaves a lot to be desired. You can't build a helmet at that price without cutting a few corners. Just looking at it, it only has one small vent inlet on the front upper head, versus 4 large ones on my Bell, so I would suspect hot weather venting is a bit compromised in comparison.

Also it is likely the Chinese manufacturer skipped expensive R&D, QA and Wind Tunnel testing you get when you buy a helmet from a helmet company like Arai, Bell, Shark, Shoei, Schuberth. Bell for instance publicly claims to destroy 5% of it's production line output in destructive QA tests.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-12-2013 at 04:46 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
As a secondary, occasional use, passenger helmet it sounds ideal at the price. But as a primary use helmet it probably leaves a lot to be desired. You can't build a helmet at that price without cutting a few corners. Just looking at it, it only has one small vent inlet on the front upper head, versus 4 large ones on my Bell, so I would suspect hot weather venting is a bit compromised in comparison.

Also it is likely the Chinese manufacturer skipped expensive R&D, QA and Wind Tunnel testing you get when you buy a helmet from a helmet company like Arai, Bell, Shark, Shoei, Schuberth is likely not have been done by this no name, Chinese, manufacturer. Bell for instance publicly claims to destroy 5% of it's production line output in destructive QA tests.
Totally agree
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 02:11 PM

Garage
I always heard "If you have a 10 dollar head buy a 10 dollar helmet"

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

Also it is likely the Chinese manufacturer skipped expensive R&D, QA and Wind Tunnel testing you get when you buy a helmet from a helmet company like Arai, Bell, Shark, Shoei, Schuberth is likely not have been done by this no name, Chinese, manufacturer. Bell for instance publicly claims to destroy 5% of it's production line output in destructive QA tests.
I doubt that I will ever wear anything but the shoei's that I already have. although I may buy one more with a different color scheme.i never had a helmet that I didn't hate till I got the shoei's. I tried on many others the day I bought the shoei's,some much higher in price and I didn't find even one other that felt half as good. so a tip of the hat to shoei for modeling a helmet for someone with a freakishly large and odd shaped head, possibly the result of many generations of inbreeding, (yeah,i live in ky) not to mention getting hit in the head with a ball peen hammer by a pissed off Mexican equipment operator on a road job down by the nogales az.border.and crashing into a car on a cb160 Honda back in 1970 in Tucson, and landing head first on the asphalt a ways up the road. split the $5 helmet almost in two,knocked me out cold,very lucky. broke a few bones but no brain damage(I hope).----------
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
When I was a teen, Bell helmets used to have an ad in print that said "Have a $20 head, buy a $20 helmet!"

Now, the mention above for the EXO1000 helmet for $54 is a steal. It is a snell rated helmet and is my current helmet. I paid $289 for mine a couple years ago when that model was new.

Personally, I would not ride with a cheapo helmet because I not only want to be better protected, but a nicer helmet will just function better - comfort, noise, visor etc.

You get what you pay for.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
ill admit to having $10 head(generous accessment, some might say) but I wont be wearing a$10 helmet on a motorcycle anymore. what im looking for is an elcheapo full face or better yet a modular to keep my head warm when im back in the woods on my atv. something I can just pitch on the ground if I see a big buck and generally abuse with no worries about the looks of it.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 05:38 PM

Garage
I am not one of the people that insist in expensive helmets. But I will not be buying a no jame helmet off of ebay.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 06:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspark52 View Post
ill admit to having $10 head(generous accessment, some might say) but I wont be wearing a$10 helmet on a motorcycle anymore. what im looking for is an elcheapo full face or better yet a modular to keep my head warm when im back in the woods on my atv. something I can just pitch on the ground if I see a big buck and generally abuse with no worries about the looks of it.
Okay..I'd go with a modular....This one a little more but i know a few people that have them and they like them a lot http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/B...32132_200897_2

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Okay..I'd go with a modular....This one a little more but i know a few people that have them and they like them a lot http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/B...32132_200897_2
that's a great looking helmet. I like the graphite color best, followed by the black.----------
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 10:01 PM

I bought a cheap helmet once on eBay and hated it. It gaves me a headache and the build quality was crap. Now I try them on at the dealer and try to find in online or wait until they have their customer appreciation day.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 10:28 PM

A decent helmet isn't too much (specially considering what your head is worth), but I guess if you NEED a bunch of helmets (to fill up the extra room in your closet?) it might not be too bad. I've giving up on trying to find the "steal of the week" since I always ended up with a bunch of crap that didn't work out for me. $33 is just too much for something I don't use and just ends up cluttering my house, I'm much happier spending a little extra money and getting a tried and true thing the first time.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 PM

"I doubt that I will ever wear anything but the shoei's that I already have. although I may buy one more with a different color scheme.i never had a helmet that I didn't hate till I got the shoei's. I tried on many others the day I bought the shoei's,some much higher in price and I didn't find even one other that felt half as good. so a tip of the hat to shoei for modeling a helmet for someone with a freakishly large and odd shaped head, possibly the result of many generations of inbreeding, (yeah,i live in ky) not to mention getting hit in the head with a ball peen hammer by a pissed off Mexican equipment operator on a road job down by the nogales az.border.and crashing into a car on a cb160 Honda back in 1970 in Tucson, and landing head first on the asphalt a ways up the road. split the $5 helmet almost in two,knocked me out cold,very lucky. broke a few bones but no brain damage(I hope).----------"

Oh dspark52, you're brain damaged alright, but we're the better off for it with that humor!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 12:39 AM

Garage
If you have a $33 head ........ get a $33 helmet
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:03 AM

Garage
I will not discus protection, because many reports have proven that dot helmets protect as well as top of the line helmets.

If you can find a cheap helmet that accurately fits your head, is comfortable with no hot spots and is not too heavey for all day riding, then you are one lucky fellow.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Banned

Last edited by Seeya; 12-13-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode