Fog City/Pin Lock visor inserts? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Fog City/Pin Lock visor inserts?

Question is how well do these work? Are they worth the $20 purchase price? Anyone tried them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 07:41 PM

Used the Fog City for a couple years. Worked very well but scratched easy. Last two years I've used the Progrip version and can say zero fog. No matter what.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 07:51 PM

The pinlock is awesome. I've been using them for years and won't buy a helmet without it now. They simply don't fog. I didn't like the fog city (with the adhesive that attaches it to the visor) nearly so much.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 12:59 AM

Garage
Pinlock don't fog, simple
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 02:34 AM

I fitted a fog city auto darkening visor to my Arai. It wasn't pin lock. It had a fine adhesive strip around the edge so once fitted it was permanent. It's not a dark tint. Works ok at night. I found it good, a slightly blue tint when dark. No fogging issues with it.

Last edited by kiwitourer; 11-22-2013 at 02:36 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 09:51 AM

Garage
I bought an HJC last Winter with pinlock. Works great, no fog. As a Canadian with a short riding season, I try to extend into Spring and Fall as much as possible, and visor fogging was always an issue then, but with the pinlock, it's gone.

Always trust your cape.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 10:12 AM

Pinlock works great. In the very worst of conditions I get a one inch round spot of condensation in front of my nose but nothing close to effecting my vision, other than that, it's completely clear. Be aware, they recommend not riding with the insert at night because it causes a glare or star effect, they are correct, it does effect your vision especially with on coming traffic headlights.
I got a Pinlock insert last year, my only regret is how long I rode and suffered before getting one.

Last edited by ray h; 11-22-2013 at 10:16 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 02:13 PM

I used my HJC pin loc for a year, and then went back to a conventional set up. The issues I had with the pin loc was 1) it eventually leaked when it rained, then fogged up between the layers 2) was much harder to clean. Tossed it in the trash.

If I rode alot in very high humidity at very low temps, I could maybe see some benefit from it. But that's not my usual riding conditions.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 09:59 PM

Not trying to sound stupid, but why can't you just vent your shield one notch (or all the way) to air it out, and pop it all the way down once you get airflow. I'm not sure why you want an extra shield adhesive to reduce fog. Real question (because I got the pinlock with my HJC), is it really necessary? I live in the Fort Worth, TX area, so it may be different in warmer climates.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 10:04 PM

Got a pinlock shield and insert for my Hornet last year, and it works very well.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdawg View Post
Not trying to sound stupid, but why can't you just vent your shield one notch (or all the way) to air it out, and pop it all the way down once you get airflow. I'm not sure why you want an extra shield adhesive to reduce fog. Real question (because I got the pinlock with my HJC), is it really necessary? I live in the Fort Worth, TX area, so it may be different in warmer climates.
It's toooo cccccold to ride with the visor open.
Seriously, the other morning I rode to work it was 29f. Before Pinlock, I pretty much needed the visor all the way open to keep it from fogging and then freezing. I think my windshield screws me a little also. I don't get good clean flow through the vents like I'm sure I would without the windshield.
Once you get ice forming on the inside of the visor, it really sucks.
Theres an air space between the plastic shields, that airspace keeps moisture from condensing, it really does work.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdawg View Post
Rain and cold are just 2 reasons not to leave the visor open and 2 causes for fogged visors.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 08:36 AM

Fog city is old news. They were rebranded as Invision Inserts. I have their hyper insert in my Qwest and love it! Far better than the original fog city... Totally different material. Check it out!

Invision Inserts

Hooligan
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the responses rayh & marylander - makes sense. I guess I haven't had an issue with fog since i haven't ridden with temps below 45 (yet) or in the rain (yet).
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post
Fog city is old news. They were rebranded as Invision Inserts. I have their hyper insert in my Qwest and love it! Far better than the original fog city... Totally different material. Check it out!

Invision Inserts
Bookmarked for potential use in next helmet, thanks! The old ones kind of sucked.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Invision Inserts
Is it permanently fitted or are you using the pins on the visor to retain and remove.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Bell Helmets

Bell makes a cold weather kit, it fits all their helmets, that includes a dual pane clear visor, a a breath box to divert moist breath away from the visor and a under helmet balaclava all for about $40. Wish I had of found this before I ordered the fog city visor insert.

Once I have a chance to install and use the Fog City insert will post back here.

As far as I can tell Fog City and Pinlock are the same company and the visor inserts are the same. The only difference is the Fog City is held on with adhesive and the PinLock is held on with pins on the visor. The Fog City insert will fit any visor, the PinLock will only fit a pinLock enabled visor with pins.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 08:08 AM

I am using is as a stick on insert. I wouldn't be able to ride at night or in the early morning without it. My Qwest fogs horribly and this eliminated 100% of the fogging issue. For 25 bucks shipped its hard to pass that up.

Also as far as optically clear, I don't even know its there! Next up is the shadr morphing insert in my clear visor.

Hooligan
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I am using is as a stick on insert. I wouldn't be able to ride at night or in the early morning without it. My Qwest fogs horribly and this eliminated 100% of the fogging issue. For 25 bucks shipped its hard to pass that up.

Also as far as optically clear, I don't even know its there! Next up is the shadr morphing insert in my clear visor.
Thanks. My Quest came with a pinlock visor and insert. I use the insert all the time as the visor does fog without it. I fitted a nose gaurd which helped a little bit. I wonder how vari tint insert would go fitted to the pinlock insert?. Triple glazing so to speak. The Quest's ventilation is designed for an upright riding style. Fitting a taller screen does not help the ventilation flow. Still very pleased with the helmet. Comfortable and quiet.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 01:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
It's toooo cccccold to ride with the visor open.
Seriously, the other morning I rode to work it was 29f. Before Pinlock, I pretty much needed the visor all the way open to keep it from fogging and then freezing. I think my windshield screws me a little also. I don't get good clean flow through the vents like I'm sure I would without the windshield.
Once you get ice forming on the inside of the visor, it really sucks.
Theres an air space between the plastic shields, that airspace keeps moisture from condensing, it really does work.
What he said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode