Handlebar Mitts... recommendations please. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Handlebar Mitts... recommendations please.

Looking for some handlebar mitts that will fit over handguards and fit the V... any suggestions?

Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

I THINK 'weljo' uses them....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 11:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I THINK 'weljo' uses them....

I have the Quad Boss Black Mitts and Acebis Dual Roads Handguards. When using them together its a tight fit but works well. Without the hand guards on really really windy days the mitt will touch your brake lever but not enough to be worried about. Its just easier to take the hand guards off when using.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:33 PM

I use an $8 set from Princess Auto (a canadian Harbour Freight type place) over my Barkbusters. Another tight fit, but once you get the hang of how they fit, no problems.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

I've previously seen some linked to a post that showed them specifically for the Versys.. had the cut outs in the right places for the mirrors, but for the life of me can't find the thread. Those Quad Boss Black ones don't look like they would work with my larger handguards/mirrors.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Found em!

http://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Hand-Mitts-Black-65-025-010402-11/dp/B009XIRD00/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1384262399&sr=1-2&keywords=motorcycle+hand+mitts

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post

I like those but went with the others because those look like it would be a pain to take your hands in and out while riding the openings seem small to do it easily

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I like those but went with the others because those look like it would be a pain to take your hands in and out while riding the openings seem small to do it easily
To me it looks like they'd be a lot easier to get into than the old ones I have. These seem to have a slit on the inside of the gauntlet almost all the way to the bars.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

I should have them by Friday. I'll do a full write-up on them after installation.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 09:50 AM

Garage
Woke up this morning it was 54 degrees. Going out to the ocean and then to the canyons so it'll be much cooler there high today is suppose to be 68 degrees at home. So took the hand guards off and put the mitts on. Takes all of 2 minutes,want to try the mitts with the heated grips together. The grips alone are great but with the mitts my hands should be nice and toasty.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Mine still haven't come in yet, hopefully tomorrow.

I'm also hopeful that they will fit over my hanguards as I don't want to give up that protection just to keep my hands warm.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Mine still haven't come in yet, hopefully tomorrow.

I'm also hopeful that they will fit over my hanguards as I don't want to give up that protection just to keep my hands warm.

One of the reasons i went with the shorty levers..So if i drop it without the hand guards only the bar end weights get boogered up. But i have a second set of hand guards that i cut down to be able to use the Tall Parabellum Windscreen. Maybe i'll cut them down some more so the mitts will fit better and i'll have the protection from a drop....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 09:38 AM

Hippo Hands, which I believe is the original, is now done:
http://www.hippohands.com/
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

I got the mitts I pictured above. They go on pretty easy and fit over my very large KTM handguards with a tight fit. The only negative I have seen so far is that it is difficult for me to work the turn signal activator.

I would add a picture of them on my bike, but they look exactly as pictured above.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 10:11 AM

thanks for the report. I have barkbusters with both storm and the smaller plastic so they should fit over one of them. What is the difficulty with the turn signal?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 01:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
I got the mitts I pictured above. They go on pretty easy and fit over my very large KTM handguards with a tight fit. The only negative I have seen so far is that it is difficult for me to work the turn signal activator.

I would add a picture of them on my bike, but they look exactly as pictured above.

In the winter switch out your hand guards for one of these ......http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...uards&_sacat=0 ....... http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&nod...l_7apgrn90l8_b . Problem Solved..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 11-19-2013 at 01:36 PM.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 07:50 AM

I have mitts from Held, the same company that makes great gloves. The fit snuggly over the African Twin barkbusters on my Honda NTV, not sure about the larger Kawasaki ones tho. I'm sure they will fit without the plastic.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
In the winter switch out your hand guards for one of these ......http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...uards&_sacat=0 ....... http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&nod...l_7apgrn90l8_b . Problem Solved..
Those 3/4 arm mitts look downright dangerous to me, because if you had to make a quick hand movement like lifting your visor or flipping someone off (Joe?) then you couldn't get your hands out quick enough...

Also, Weljo, I have barkbusters fitted, so presumably I wouldn't need those gizmos to stop the mitts collapsing at speed!?!?!?
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 02:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
Those 3/4 arm mitts look downright dangerous to me, because if you had to make a quick hand movement like lifting your visor or flipping someone off (Joe?) then you couldn't get your hands out quick enough...

Also, Weljo, I have barkbusters fitted, so presumably I wouldn't need those gizmos to stop the mitts collapsing at speed!?!?!?

I have no issue getting my hands in and out quickly with the mitts. My mitts will fit over my hand guards but its a tight fit and makes it more difficult to hit the start switch and the turn signal switch..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 05:02 PM

Garage
I'm in Canada so ride a lot in cold weather, usually down to or slightly below 0C/32F. Nothing beats heated gloves IMO. They're not the cheapest option, but they are the best cold weather option for cold hands. Another issue is that if your core is cold your body will restrict blood flow to the extremities to keep the brain and other important organs up to temp. Keeping your core well warmed with allow you to have warmer hands.

With Gerbings T5 heated gloves, Gerbings heated jacket liner, 4 season jacket and pants I can ride down to freezing temperatures in the same kind of comfort you would have in a car.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-29-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode