Gear for Cross Country - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Gear for Cross Country

What do you guys recommend for a cross country trip gear wise?

Aerostich Roadcrafter is what I was leaning towards, I would like something that's waterproof and versatile?

I have a couple pairs of gloves, one summer, one winter. Was going to add a rain glove in with them.
My boots I wanna use are my Icon Reign, love em.
Helmet I have a Nolan N90s.

Don't want any electric gear.

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallCrawl View Post
What do you guys recommend for a cross country trip gear wise?

Aerostich Roadcrafter is what I was leaning towards, I would like something that's waterproof and versatile?

I have a couple pairs of gloves, one summer, one winter. Was going to add a rain glove in with them.
My boots I wanna use are my Icon Reign, love em.
Helmet I have a Nolan N90s.

Don't want any electric gear.
I would look at a high quality textile 2 piece suit like a Rev'It Sand or Olympia XMoto or maybe Klim Latitude. A suit like this is adaptable for pretty much any condition with better ventilation than a road crafter but also has insulation and water proofing. Don't skimp on quality if you are going to be on your bike for days on end. It works in hot to cold, rain or shine. The most versatile base layer I've used is cool max type long underwear and long sleeve TShirt in hot to mild weather and a polyester fleece version in cooler weather. You can wash it in a sink and it drys almost instantly. It wicks away moisture from your skin and will keep you cool (coolmax type) or warm (fleece type). If it gets wet while you are wearing it, it will also dry out while you are wearing it unlike cotton. Synthetic in general (socks, base layers) works much better than cotton. Don't wear jeans under your motorcycle pants. Goretex lined boots are more versatile and will keep your feet warm and dry without being too hot in hot weather.

I would say you need at least two pairs of gloves, a normal pair, and an insulated, water proof pair. Heated grips (~$80 for Oxford) would be really nice to have if you think you might hit cooler weather.

Even though textile touring suits like this are fairly water proof and warm, a rain suit, can be nice addition for extra warmth or protection if you spend the day riding in the cold or heavy rain.

Last edited by versys_rider; 10-29-2013 at 01:23 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 04:47 AM

I have a one piece textile suit which I use when I know the trip will be all or mostly in cold weather conditions, but I agree with versys rider that a good 2 piece suit is more versatile when temperatures fluctuate between warm and cold. Being able to zip out a jacket liner, for example, is a nice thing, as is the ability to take your jacket off when you go in a store or restaurant. It's a bit of a wrestling match to get in and out of the one piece for those purposes. I will say though that I feel better protected in the one piece. Everything else versys rider said is good advice too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode