Glove suggestions for cold weather - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Glove suggestions for cold weather

So here's the deal. I have heated grips and Barkbuster handguards, down to about 45 degrees this is good with my old Olympia un-lined leather gloves. I bought a pair of cold weather gloves (also Olympia, can't find the exact gloves to show), but they are SO thick on the palm side they are uncomfortable to ride with. It feels like I am riding around with a couple pillows wrapped around my grips. Plus the insulation on the palm side is totally unnecessary with the heated grips.

What I am wondering is there any gloves that have good insulation on the back side with good feel on the grip side? In leather, without being too expensive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 08:13 AM

Garage
Check out revzilla winter glove guide video on YouTube.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 AM
MTS

If it would work out, I like the handle bar mitts weljo has. They are awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Banned

Ski gloves work well for me, although the abrasion resistance isn't as good as leather.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 10:49 AM

After researching a ton last year (year round rider without heated grips up until I bought my V) I had to have warm fingers.

I ended up with Tourmaster Winter Elite gloves. They are fantastic! Pull out rain barrier / wind blocker. Try to find them on ebay or amazing in the older style for cheaper!

https://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/pro...ctid=109&cat=9

Hooligan
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 11:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
If it would work out, I like the handle bar mitts weljo has. They are awesome!

I have the Quad Boss Mitts in black .They work really well There are a few more options...http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...e/Hand%20Mitts .... http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...luxe-snow-paws

I installed heated grips this spring so between the 2 i should stay nice and toasty...With the mitts i just used summer gloves last winter..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 11:45 AM

Garage
As far as gloves i've been looking at these...http://www.amazon.com/Cortech-Scarab-Leather-Motorcycle-X-Large/dp/B00EZ8MNX0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1X7LLRKD0X919&coliid=IYDBQI8LEUFVN .. Ive seen a couple of guys with them and their not bulky.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Banned

Question

Heated grips & winter gloves/mitts in California!?!?!?!

I bet you wear *jim-jams to bed as well!!!!

*PJ's
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 11:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post

I bet you wear *jim-jams to bed as well!!!!

*PJ's

I'm just about an hour from the mountains...Planning on going to Big Bear before it snows..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 01:23 PM

Several years ago, I broke down and bought a pair of Synergy Electric Heated Gloves from a local Cycle Gear store. Wow, what a positive difference! These gloves allow for "low, medium & high" settings. I should never have waited (and suffered) so long to buy them. I just checked and Cycle Gear is showing them as a "close-out" item so they may not be available much longer. They aren't so thick as to make your grip uncomfortable. I DID NOT check the above suggested links to view the suggestions from others so I don't know the prices associated with their reccomendations but if warmth in cold weather is your goal, you may want to consider electric gloves.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 01:41 PM
MTS

These are the ones I use in XXL but should have got 5XL.

http://www.amazon.com/Scorpion-Recon-Motorcycle-Gloves-X-Small/dp/B003IMCM62/ref=sr_1_57?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1382985252&sr=1-57&keywords=scorpion+gloves
I rate them 6.5 out of 10 the best. They are too thick with liner. Great without. Way too small order three sizes bigger

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

With the thick gloves, my hands stay absolutely warm and toasty down to the mid 30's. Even with the summer gloves and heated grips, at 45 degrees, it really only my 2 index fingers that get cold (I habitually ride with those on the brake and clutch levers). I have looked at a couple heated options, but the only ones they stock at the local stores were thin textile, they didn't seem like they'd have good protection while I'm riding around on cold wet surfaces. I forgot about mitts, that may be a very viable option, I'll look into those a bit more and check out some of the glove options posted here. Thanks for all the input, I'll have some good options to explore.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 08:59 PM

Garage
A week or 2 ago somebody posted a link to a pair of ice climbing gloves. I bought a pair as they were very heavily discounted.
Ibhave ridden in them down to 38 afcording to a bank sign for a 45 min ride.
Usually i struggle with gloves. I have tons of sii gloves that will keep me very warm(i run a ski shop) but they are all pretty bulky and I cant really feel the grips or controls. My thin gloves that I could use my hands in made my hands freeze even with heated grips. My palms would be hot, and backs and fingers freezing.
The ice coimbing gloves I bought may not protect me as good as Id like, but I can happily ride. The palms are pretty thin compared to ski gloves, but they have a thick back of the hand. I kept my grips on 25%and felt great.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 08:53 PM

You might like to consider these as well. http://www.whitehorsegear.com/joe-ro...cycling-gloves

Here's what Whitehorse Gear has to say about them: The Sub-Zero gloves from Joe Rocket are made with a durable wind and waterproof shell. A waterproof Dry Tech® mid-liner and 100g of Thinsulate® insulation guarantee you’ll be warm and dry in the most extreme riding conditions, without sacrificing feel or mobility. Slip-resistant palm, padded knuckles, and finger gussets round out the features, all at an incredible price! Available in Men’s sizes SM–3X and Women's sizes XS–XL. And just $39.99 a pair.

And for what it's worth I've been extremely pleased with Whitehorse Gear - very helpful, quick shipping and first rate customer service.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 PM

I use these in the cold. Great for rain too, with the wiper on the thumb, and they've never leaked for me.
http://www.warmnsafe.com/ultimate-to...heated-gloves/
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
Did your knowledge of my state come from Baywatch and Escape from LA?

FWIW on the rides the photos are from I just used heated grips, but I use heated gloves too, especially to commute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sp.jpg (97.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3767.jpg (38.9 KB, 79 views)
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 09:49 PM

I've been wearing snowmobile gloves when the temps drop down below 40ish. I ride unless the temps drop into the 20s or it's cold and rainy. The snowmobile gloves do an excellent job of keeping my hands warm and dry but they are very thick and bulky. I just installed a set of Oxford grip heaters so I'm hoping I won't need the thick gloves anymore.
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 10:29 PM

Garage
For cooler weather I have a pair or Rev'It water proof gloves. They are nice and thin but the water proofing provides quite a bit of extra warmth by blocking the wind and sealing in the warm air. They are good down to about 10C/50F for prolonged exposure at higher speeds or colder temps for city riding.

Below 50F/10C though nothing beats my Gerbing T5 heated gloves. They are a little short on protection with no hard armor and require you plug in when getting on the bike but for cold weather comfort they are hard to beat. They heat the backs of the hand and fingers, the parts that get cold and will keep your hands warm in the coldest riding weather.
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I've been wearing snowmobile gloves when the temps drop down below 40ish. I ride unless the temps drop into the 20s or it's cold and rainy. The snowmobile gloves do an excellent job of keeping my hands warm and dry but they are very thick and bulky. I just installed a set of Oxford grip heaters so I'm hoping I won't need the thick gloves anymore.
I wish someone would make a glove that was "summer" on grip side, "winter" on the back side. It would be perfect with heated grips.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
I wish someone would make a glove that was "summer" on grip side, "winter" on the back side. It would be perfect with heated grips.
I know, palm hot, fingers cold.
Before I got heated grips my biggest problem was my hands and fingers would get so cold they wouldn't work well. Now the backs of my hands and fingers may still be cold but at least there's enough heat in them to work well. The discomfort I'm ok with, the stiff fingers, I didn't like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode