Protect, and how to wear it??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Protect, and how to wear it???

Or I should say Protection, and how to wear it.

I bought my Versys a couple of months ago, for adventure touring. I have been heavily involved in Dual Sporting with my 2 stroke (DS Bike) for the last few years. I'm pretty well set-up for clothing/armor/protection. I had an issue riding the Versys with my MX Boots. For some reason, I need the ability to point my toe, both for “duck walking” the bike and shifting/braking. I find my O'Neal Element boots work fine on my DS bike, but akward, very ski boot-like, on the road/dirt road going Versys. I purchased a pair of Alpinestars Tech 2 MX boots, and could not be happier with these on the Versys. Boot problem solved.

My question for you guys/girls is: What are you using for pants and jackets? I have had many brands of clothing in the past, both for the road and the trail. All of the street pants and jackets I have had feature the CE armor built into the jacket. I really don't see the advantage in this. I am obviously in the minority because every magazine I pick up, I see multi thousand dollar Klim jackets and pants, rule the adventure touring world with this same sort of design. Every armored jacket I have ever owned require external straps and bands on the exterior of the jacket, to keep the armor from flopping around. As you can imagine, this (to me) seems to screw up the breathabilty, flexability, ventilation and comfort of the jacket/pants. Why do this?

As previously mentioned, I run a DS bike as well. On it, I wear a one piece Thor mesh shirt style full body armor that features removable chest and back plates. (Thor Impact) and I have a couple knee and shin guard options as well. I find this protection incredibly (all day) comfortable, well ventilated, it stays in place, and it allows a great range of movement. It seems to me, there is a huge advantage having the armor and the exterior shell independant of one another. I realize that you really don't need as much protection with an adventure bike... Maybe. Why don't typical adventure touring riders simply pick the level armor they want, the shell they want, then layer up as required for the temperature?

Am I on the wrong path here? I am in the process of selecting a new jacket as my forthcoming Christmas gift for the riding the Versys?

I have another question as well... It seems the typical adventure touring jacket is long. (below the butt) Are they comfortable?.. and functional, seated on a motorcycle?

What works and what doesn't for all my fellow Versys riders?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 AM

I have a set of 2-piece, fully armored, Vanson leathers that I'll use (mostly from my sportbike days). They're good for day trips, or overnights when I'm positive there won't be rain (yeah, right).

Generally, for street use/touring, I used my Aerostich Roadcrafter. I recently added new riding gear ('stich is nearly 14 years old). I purchased the Olympia AST2 jacket and corresponding pants. Because I'm picky, I then upgraded the armor with the Forcefield Type B limb. I've been very impressed with the Olympia stuff. The jacket is a bit longer, below the butt, but very comfortable and functional on the bike. It has a zip out insulated liner. The nice thing is that, unlike some jackets, the waterproofing is in the outer jacket, not the removable liner. It has great zippered vents, too.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 10:07 AM

I wear Revit Ignition 2 jacket and Sand trousers. I am really happy with the jacket since it has three removable layers that keep me dry and warm and lets me to take them off during hot summer days becoming a mesh jacket. Look into it..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip Hondagal. Just Googled Aerostich Roadcrafter. That is quite nice. I never thought of a one-piece. With full Goretex, I am scared to ask how much.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

omeregeli, nice jacket. I Googled this as well. It is similar to my Joe Rocket Blaster sport bike style jacket. The Elbow armor, do you find it flops around? I like it. When searching Rev'It I found found the REV'IT! Horizon Jacket, what do you think of that?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 12:47 PM

The Aerostich stuff is quite pricey. I found the Olympia items I mentioned to be less money, while still being very good quality.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
...I have another question as well... It seems the typical adventure touring jacket is long. (below the butt) Are they comfortable?.. and functional, seated on a motorcycle?

What works and what doesn't for all my fellow Versys riders?
I have quite a few different jackets and pants, including two FirstGear Kilimanjaro jackets that are 3/4 length. VERY comfortable. ALL my gear has CE armor in it.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
I have a set of 2-piece, fully armored, Vanson leathers that I'll use (mostly from my sportbike days). They're good for day trips, or overnights when I'm positive there won't be rain (yeah, right).

Generally, for street use/touring, I used my Aerostich Roadcrafter. I recently added new riding gear ('stich is nearly 14 years old). I purchased the Olympia AST2 jacket and corresponding pants. Because I'm picky, I then upgraded the armor with the Forcefield Type B limb. I've been very impressed with the Olympia stuff. The jacket is a bit longer, below the butt, but very comfortable and functional on the bike. It has a zip out insulated liner. The nice thing is that, unlike some jackets, the waterproofing is in the outer jacket, not the removable liner. It has great zippered vents, too.
+1 on Olympia gear. It is very well designed and made. I have the AST2 jacket and XMoto pants. XMoto jacket is now on clearance.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 PM

I have a Joe Rocket ballistic series touring jack which falls below the waist. I have not had any problems with comfort. I have a somewhat long torso, so I like the longer jacket. I have read some reviews of the back panel riding up and pressing against the helmet; however, I have not had this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode