Akuma helmets - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Akuma helmets

Anybody wear one of these??

http://www.akumahelmets.com/products.html

A coworker bought the Navy helmet with the matte finish a few weeks ago & loves it. He won't shut up about it. I feels very light & I admit it looks great in person. I tried the F-117 helmet on @ Moto Liberty & like the way it fit. I don't really like the flashy graphics, but if I could get the Stealth helmet with the Specter paint job & a flip up front, I get one in a heartbeat!

Am I asking too much???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 05:08 PM

I also like modular helmets.

I have a Nolan now and like it a lot but I think my next will be a Schuberth.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I also like modular helmets.

I have a Nolan now and like it a lot but I think my next will be a Schuberth.
Let us know if you get a Schuberth - I think I'd like one but I've got 2 helmets now
and can't justify another. (unless it's for something really cool - I mean - for more safety features)

R.Keith

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:29 PM

We were having this discussion on another forum what to do with old helmet?

The Shuberth has that inside sunvisor that is sweet.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Links? Any favorites?

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 07:22 AM

Got the HJC CL-Max currently and really like the new HJC SY-MAX II.

http://www.hjchelmets.com/

But as PharmaSYSt, I cannot justify a new helmet. I really like the integrated sun visor on the new modular helmets. Seems like Europe has more modular models. Saw some really cool ones in Germany!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:26 AM

Schuberths are hard to find you may need to order from a dealer.

www.newenough.com has HJC and Shoie try them.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:09 PM

does anybody have a helemt with the inside sunvisor and is it worth it or is it just a nice to have gadget?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actar911 View Post
does anybody have a helemt with the inside sunvisor and is it worth it or is it just a nice to have gadget?
If you wear glasses it is worth it. It saves having to carry around an extra pair.

Who is John Galt?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:37 PM

I just got the HJC Sy-Max II, it fits great, a little snug on the cheeks but this should break in fairly quickly (either the helmet or my cheeks) and it has an internal sun visor that snaps up spring loaded with one button touch. Nice fit and finish too.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM

Dorian's comments lead me to a question about street bike protective gear and proper fit. I'm a long time motocrosser that is going to make the jump to street riding. In our world you fit a helmet TIGHT. Smashing your cheeks tight. I know we lay our bikes and bodies down quite a bit more than our street brethren do but wouldn't you want the same fit in a helmet regardless of riding environment? Tight fit = more effective impact absorption of the helmet...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 08:47 PM

Same fit but proper fit not too tight not too loose.

Who is John Galt?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSpar View Post
Dorian's comments lead me to a question about street bike protective gear and proper fit. I'm a long time motocrosser that is going to make the jump to street riding. In our world you fit a helmet TIGHT. Smashing your cheeks tight. I know we lay our bikes and bodies down quite a bit more than our street brethren do but wouldn't you want the same fit in a helmet regardless of riding environment? Tight fit = more effective impact absorption of the helmet...
Keep in mind that if you are going to use a communication device, you dont want the helmet too tight at the cheekks as to bite them every time you talk!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actar911 View Post

I have the Scorpion EXO-1000 with the inside sunvisor and it's worth it. With the varying light conditions we encounter - I find it convenient to flip it up and down as needed. The Scorpion visor is not that dark, but it's purpose isn't to go form light to limo-dark more from light to darker. Working with a smoke shield or a dark shield would go form smoke to dark or dark to even darker.

Previously, I had the Nolan N-102 and it started to fall apart after two years. The Nolan has the external sun visor and I hated it. I could never get it in the right position and wind gusts would blow it full open. In the full open position, the visor made a howling sound.

If you want a visor go with the internal. Totally worth it and you get that fighter pilot look, too.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I have the Scorpion EXO-1000 with the inside sunvisor and it's worth it. With the varying light conditions we encounter - I find it convenient to flip it up and down as needed. The Scorpion visor is not that dark, but it's purpose isn't to go form light to limo-dark more from light to darker. Working with a smoke shield or a dark shield would go form smoke to dark or dark to even darker.

Previously, I had the Nolan N-102 and it started to fall apart after two years. The Nolan has the external sun visor and I hated it. I could never get it in the right position and wind gusts would blow it full open. In the full open position, the visor made a howling sound.

If you want a visor go with the internal. Totally worth it and you get that fighter pilot look, too.
I have the External on the Nolan and have had no issues with it. That surprises me that the Nolan was falling apart.

Who is John Galt?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:39 PM

I was surprised as well because the Nolan looked well built when I first got it - but then the paint started chipping off and the external visor never stayed shut. I got in the habit of looking away when a large truck passed the opposite way - because the visor would always blow up.

The Nolan was also noisy for me - being a flip up and the last straw was when the fog shield kept snapping off.

After two years of the Nolan - I felt it was time for a new helmet and wanted to go with a solid full face. The Nolan was never dropped or damaged and I now keep it as a backup helmet.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSpar View Post
For a street fit, you want the fit of the helmet to be snug...like one poster said...not too tight, not too loose. Theoretically, you'll be going longer stretches on a street bike with your helmet on than you probably would in motocross...and just one tight pressure point can become a huge pain over the course of a 1+ hour ride! A proper fitting helmet can make the difference between an enjoyable ride and a downright tortuous ride!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 PM

I'm wearing the Akuma, in flat black. I think its great! The air vents allow quite a bit of circulation through the helmet and even though the ambient temprature here in San Antonio has gotten above 100 a couple of times in the last week, I've not been drenched in sweat, yet.
True there is no integrated sun visor, but a cheap pair of sunglasses under the helmet does the trick for me. If it gets too dark, just pull over and take off the sunglasses!
The fit is a bit snug on the cheeks, but the helmet is only two months old so it will probably loosen up over time.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 09:18 PM

You have the benefit of not wearing glasses so the internal will be part of my next helmet.

Who is John Galt?
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHansen105 View Post
I'm wearing the Akuma, in flat black. I think its great! The air vents allow quite a bit of circulation through the helmet and even though the ambient temprature here in San Antonio has gotten above 100 a couple of times in the last week, I've not been drenched in sweat, yet.
True there is no integrated sun visor, but a cheap pair of sunglasses under the helmet does the trick for me. If it gets too dark, just pull over and take off the sunglasses!
The fit is a bit snug on the cheeks, but the helmet is only two months old so it will probably loosen up over time.
I went back to Moto Liberty & tried on the Stealth & the Specter again today. You have the Specter, right? The Stealth helmet is a little lighter & fits me better, but I really like the flat black on the Specter.

Welcome aboard, by the way. Nice to see another San Antonio Versys here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode