Top 3 60.00%
Left 0 0%
Right 2 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Helmet Cam Placement Position

I understand the logic when someone place their cam on the center (top) of the helmet but why left or right ? Okay the top might be that it's a bit obvious for the coppers to pull you over.

Do the left/right placement point to the slower traffic, meaning LHD lanes point to the right and RHD areas point to the left ? Or it's easier for the right hand to switch the cam on and off ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 AM

Good question.. I've seen some riders place it on the chin bar.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I placed mine on the right because i have a modular helmet. If placed on top of the helmet when i pull the face of the helmet up its in the view of the camera and more awkward to turn on while wearing the helmet. I couldn't place it on the left side of the helmet because of the Scala Rider unit being there. On the right hand side of the helmet it works good for me because i'm right handed so turning on and off is easy and the Drift Ghost has a rotating lens so even if the cameras at a bad angle you can make it work.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 AM

Garage
If you don't want to put it on your helmet the best place i found on the bike for a great view with no vibration is using a Ram Strap Mount and attaching a camera to the fork tube.

IMG_0175 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0177 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0178 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
If you don't want to put it on your helmet the best place i found on the bike for a great view with no vibration is using a Ram Strap Mount and attaching a camera to the fork tube.

Weljo

Where did you get your radiator cover and highway pegs? They both look great

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 06:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DA NXS View Post
Weljo

Where did you get your radiator cover and highway pegs? They both look great

Radiator Cover......http://www.beowulfuk.com/products.asp?cat=2483

Highway Peg Mounts...http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Versys_c2.htm

Highway Pegs...http://www.motoshop.net/AIM/PROD/RVPEGS.html

You can also get the highway pegs at amazon they come in black also.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 06:07 PM

Many thanks!

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DA NXS View Post
Many thanks!

Anytime.. The radiator cover came over from the UK but i got it in 10 days after ordering it. Its very very sturdy.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Anytime.. The radiator cover came over from the UK but i got it in 10 days after ordering it. Its very very sturdy.
Just ordered mine

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Weljo: your cam is using a constant 12v? If it's on the helmet, there'll be some irritating slapping of the cables. Im going to get a self powered cam with option to feed a direct 12v. Cableless on the helmet but if mounted to the bike, it'll be powered by the bike

Fork mount is a bit low to capture any "good" moments or do you think otherwise? Thanks for the pointers BTW
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
Weljo: your cam is using a constant 12v? If it's on the helmet, there'll be some irritating slapping of the cables. Im going to get a self powered cam with option to feed a direct 12v. Cableless on the helmet but if mounted to the bike, it'll be powered by the bike

Fork mount is a bit low to capture any "good" moments or do you think otherwise? Thanks for the pointers BTW

I have my drift ghost on my helmet hooked to a 12V outlet on the dash. The cable is plugged into the back of the camera. The USB cable that came with it doesn't slap around.I do run it between the tank and side fairing. Last weekend i had the cable plugged into a 12V outlet behind me. I like it in the dash better. The cable has enough weight to stay put.

Heres a video of the drift stealth on the fork tubes...

If you notice in the photos of my bike theres a camera mounted to the windshield bracket i use that camera to take photos.. Heres the results below...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 PM

Garage
Heres the Drift Ghost. Without the USB Cable, With it and also attached to a USB Adapter.

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 10:45 PM

Garage
If your wanting to use a ram mount with a GoPro...Here ya go. http://www.amazon.com/Ram-Mounts-Ball-Adpter-RAP-B-202U-GOP1/dp/B00CICNXGG/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_cp_12_N06M?ie=UTF8&refRID=03PWQ3WTSDJADYDNM8F9

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

weljo : Nice and expensive setup but no contest on the quality
I prefer the handle bar mounting view

Last edited by glock19; 08-28-2013 at 08:32 PM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 01:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
weljo : Nice and expensive setup but no contest on the quality
I prefer the handle bar mounting view

Then you need to get a different bike...The vibes on the Versys will affect the video if mounted on the handlebars.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 01:20 AM

Garage
This is mounted on the handlebar footage. With the motowerks anti-vibe bar risers.

Mounted on the crash bars...

Mounted on the side of the tank with a suction mount...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Nice setup... thinking of doing this, but what size clamp did you use? did it come with the RAM mount? btw, I have the same vidcam drift stealth and a contour. Thanks!
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 PM

Garage
Heres what you need for what you see in the photo..

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-uti...inch-ball.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-cam...m-b-202au.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-sho...-b-201u-a.html

Heres what i did to the item in the second link. I took out the threaded piece and put a stickie mount on the flat surface that way you can just pull off the camera with out having to mess up the angle you have it set at. Also works good for a place to velcro an IPod

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 01:36 PM

Garage
Heres another mounting point i use mostly for photos. Drilled a hole through the windscreen and used a Ram Ball mount thats bolted to the Windscreen Bracket. Click on photo for a better view.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 03:45 PM

Garage
If you want a good spot for rear view videos. Mount attached to the givi rear rack on the left side of the bike....http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-ste...am-b-231u.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode