Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Left

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Right

Votes: 2 40.0%

Helmet Cam Placement Position

6K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  weljo2001 
#1 ·
I understand the logic when someone place their cam on the center (top) of the helmet but why left or right ? Okay the top might be that it's a bit obvious for the coppers to pull you over.

Do the left/right placement point to the slower traffic, meaning LHD lanes point to the right and RHD areas point to the left ? Or it's easier for the right hand to switch the cam on and off ?

#3 ·
I placed mine on the right because i have a modular helmet. If placed on top of the helmet when i pull the face of the helmet up its in the view of the camera and more awkward to turn on while wearing the helmet. I couldn't place it on the left side of the helmet because of the Scala Rider unit being there. On the right hand side of the helmet it works good for me because i'm right handed so turning on and off is easy and the Drift Ghost has a rotating lens so even if the cameras at a bad angle you can make it work.

#4 ·
If you don't want to put it on your helmet the best place i found on the bike for a great view with no vibration is using a Ram Strap Mount and attaching a camera to the fork tube.

IMG_0175 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0177 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0178 by weljo2001, on Flickr

#8 ·
Anytime.. The radiator cover came over from the UK but i got it in 10 days after ordering it. Its very very sturdy.

#10 ·
Weljo: your cam is using a constant 12v? If it's on the helmet, there'll be some irritating slapping of the cables. Im going to get a self powered cam with option to feed a direct 12v. Cableless on the helmet but if mounted to the bike, it'll be powered by the bike

Fork mount is a bit low to capture any "good" moments or do you think otherwise? Thanks for the pointers BTW

#11 ·
I have my drift ghost on my helmet hooked to a 12V outlet on the dash. The cable is plugged into the back of the camera. The USB cable that came with it doesn't slap around.I do run it between the tank and side fairing. Last weekend i had the cable plugged into a 12V outlet behind me. I like it in the dash better. The cable has enough weight to stay put.

Heres a video of the drift stealth on the fork tubes...

If you notice in the photos of my bike theres a camera mounted to the windshield bracket i use that camera to take photos.. Heres the results below...

#12 ·
#13 ·
If your wanting to use a ram mount with a GoPro...Here ya go.

#15 ·
Then you need to get a different bike...The vibes on the Versys will affect the video if mounted on the handlebars.

#16 ·
This is mounted on the handlebar footage. With the motowerks anti-vibe bar risers.

Mounted on the crash bars...

Mounted on the side of the tank with a suction mount...

#18 ·
Heres what you need for what you see in the photo..

IMG_0178 by weljo2001, on Flickr

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-utility-strap-steel-u-bolt-base-with-1-inch-ball.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-camera-mount-plate-ram-b-202au.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-short-arm-b-socket-ram-b-201u-a.html

Heres what i did to the item in the second link. I took out the threaded piece and put a stickie mount on the flat surface that way you can just pull off the camera with out having to mess up the angle you have it set at. Also works good for a place to velcro an IPod

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

#19 ·
Heres another mounting point i use mostly for photos. Drilled a hole through the windscreen and used a Ram Ball mount thats bolted to the Windscreen Bracket. Click on photo for a better view.

#20 ·
#22 ·
Skip to the 1 hour and 7 minute point of the video. Its Cali we don't get much bad weather here....

#23 ·
Cool.... :) Your side of the roads seems to be free from traffic

Also like to say, you have a discipline head - you don't turn it much. Was it for the benefit of the viewers ?
What video editor did you use ? The opening and closing and captions looks professional.

#24 · (Edited)
I try to have my mirrors set so i don't need to turn my head. Also its much better to be looking where your going. But driving in the city you'll notice more head movement.

The software is the IMovie program that came on my Mac Book Pro and my Mac Mini. It works great and is super simple to use. I have a Final Cut Editing Program installed on both but have no clue how to use it, It's way over my head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.