Modular Helmet Selection Help - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Modular Helmet Selection Help

Hi there guys.

I really need/want a modular helmet so I'm looking for some help finding one. I don't have any nearby dealers to go try on helmets so I'm stuck doing the online thing.

I recently bought and tried the Nolan N90. I really wanted to like this helmet, it has all of the features I want, but it had some quirks that made me return it. First off it was more of a rounded helmet and my head is more narrow than round. Second the pinlock visor did not completely fill the field of view inside the visor. The top line of the inside visor ran right through my field of view. Sure I could just remove the pinlock, but I really need the pinlock as I ride all year including in cold temperatures.

So here are my requirements for a new helmet.

-Cost less than $250
-Modular
-Pinlock system (even if it has to be bought seperately)
-Internal sun visor (love this feature)
-Narrow versus rounded fit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
Hi there guys.

I really need/want a modular helmet so I'm looking for some help finding one. I don't have any nearby dealers to go try on helmets so I'm stuck doing the online thing.

I recently bought and tried the Nolan N90. I really wanted to like this helmet, it has all of the features I want, but it had some quirks that made me return it. First off it was more of a rounded helmet and my head is more narrow than round. Second the pinlock visor did not completely fill the field of view inside the visor. The top line of the inside visor ran right through my field of view. Sure I could just remove the pinlock, but I really need the pinlock as I ride all year including in cold temperatures.

-Cost less than $250
-Modular

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
Try webbikeworld for info on helmet, more to your point, modular

Load on information in there ...

LOP
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:17 AM

Cyclegear.com or any of their outlets near you. Wide selection of Helmets at very reasonable prices.

Gerald

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hi there guys.

-Cost less than $250
-Modular

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
I think in the price range you have in mind you will be a lot happier with a full face helmet. Check out reviews on www.webbikeworld.com

$250 is the cost of a cheap, decent, plain old full face helmet. If you can find a modular helmet at $250 chances are it is going to be the product of some major corner cutting. There are few exceptions to the axiom you get what you pay for. As an example there is a huge difference in comfort and weight between my Arai Profile and my previous Scorpion 700. The Arai has 10X the internal air flow which is especially noticeable in hot weather. It is also lighter and fits my long oval head shape much more accurately.

For your head shape I would recommend the Bell RS-1, it has a ton of ventilation, fits an oval head well, is very light weight and is also ECE approved. It has received excellent reviews from multiple reviewers. Another great helmet for your head shape is the Arai Profile and it's recent replacement the Signet - Q. You may be able to find a discounted, discontinued Profile in your price range although they normally sell for $500

Switchable dark and clear visors work much better than a pull down inner visor.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-13-2013 at 12:13 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
With your head shape you can take Shoei off your list. Because my head is a perfect fit for the N90 and the Shoei Multi-Tech

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 06:04 AM
djg

Honestly, you should find the nearest dealer with a large selection of helmets and take the time to go there. I wouldn't try buying boots or a helmet without trying on first. You don't say where you live. You don't have to buy the helmet there, but it is nice to support a stocking dealer, unless their prices are way out of line.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Hi there guys.

-Cost less than $250
-Modular

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
I have the HJC IS MAX Bluetooth ready (XL) -my first helmet from 2011, which I still love wearing. Good Fit for me, I have a 23.5-24 inch head if that helps. I also have the Bell Revolver, XL as well. Initally was a bit tight on the cheeks, but as time passed, I got to like it because it stayed in place and the pads sort of settled as foams usually do. Both these helmets have interal tinted visors. Then recently I got the Fly Racing Tourist Modular with the removable chin bar. Versatile, you can convert it to a 3/4 or even an open face helmet if desired. Personally, I very rarely do that during hot riding days for safety concerns. The WIDE area of visibility is unparallel. It comes with 2 visors, one clear, one tinted, but no internal... also has a peek visor for open helmet scenario.

My next one, when I've saved enough $$ is the SHOEI MULTITEC. I really want the NEOTEC, but just too much $$ for me.

Have you bought a new one yet? Good luck and ride safely.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Decided to give this one a try:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DT1V8EY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$124.95 and has a nifty wireless LED brake light built into the helmet.

If I don't like it, I'll return it and try out the HJC IS MAX.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 05:07 PM

I to have a oval head and use a IS MAX,
good fit.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 PM

LS2 Modulars are very affordable. Great air-flow but might suffers a bit of wind noise.
Comes with internal visor too.
http://ls2helmets.us/_live/products/...ular/106-ff386
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i have been using that gmax modular for the last 8000 miles. it is the best helmet i have found. very quiet, decent ventilation, all the features work well.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
i have been using that gmax modular for the last 8000 miles. it is the best helmet i have found. very quiet, decent ventilation, all the features work well.
Really glad to hear that Marc.

Do you use the LED? I'm curious if you leave it turned on to "Brake Activated Mode" if it runs down the batteries.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 11:58 AM

I have a Scorpion EXO-900, I believe it is for a narrower head, I'm a round head. The price was $251.99 (locally) but the plain black was $241.99. I got the Hypersilver. A couple thing that attracted me to this helmet are the sun shield and that you can completely remove the chin bar, and replace it with a visor and make it an open face helmet. Biggest problem I have with it, is in the rain, it leaks on the inside of the faceshield (right down the middle). I'd put some weather striping in it to stop it, but I usually just wear my HJC RPS-10 (with pinlock) whenever the weather might be bad.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

After a few days of wearing the cheap GMAX, I love it. It is hands down the best fitting motorcycle helmet I have ever worn. I bought the wireless LED accessory and now the back of my helmet lights up whenever I press on the brakes. Gotta love that.

Is the helmet as high of quality as the others I've tried? Nope. But it is anywhere from $200-$400 cheaper than others. There is a lot of plastic pieces on this helmet.

The chinguard/faceshield works well and locks securely in place. The internal sun visor is great. It comes all the way down as it should and stays in any position from all the way up to all the way down, the higher priced competition doesn't even do that.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 AM

Huh. Wish I'd known about this earlier - I would have made you a good deal on a Nolan N-103.

Modulars are convenient but damnably loud, in my experience. I went back to a Shoei GT-Air.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 07:19 PM

Maybe of use regarding helmet safety. Surprised at the lack of safety of some big names when compared to cheaper models.
You can check for modular/system type, safety and price. (UK)
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 11:56 PM

I used to use an AGV modular and the thing was so loud I stopped using it. Might try that GMAX, can't go wrong with the price.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Most of the GMAX helmets are onsale right now. I got mine through Jarfur. The one I bought can be had now for as little as $112.

I've now been wearing mine everyday for three weeks. It is still the best fitting helmet I've had. I did discover a defect in the plastic of the internal visor, but a phone call to the GMAX distributor resulted in them sending me out a new one with zero hassle (or cost).

Since getting the helmet I have also ordered and received the two pane fog free clear visor through Revzilla for $26. I've had a chance to try it on cool mornings and there has been zero fogging. They even have an electric clear shield available for this model. The wireless LED on the back of the helmet really gets people's attention and it appears to barely sip battery power as I have not had to replace the cheap Chinese AAAs that it came with.

I will tell you that the helmet is somewhat loud... ear plugs are pretty much required, but I wear them anyway so it isn't a big deal to me. I haven't ridden in the rain yet, but there appears to be lots of ways for water to get into the helmet. I haven't read reviews from people complaining about its performance in the rain though so we'll have to see how it does (I'm probably going to get the chance to test this feature today on my way home from work).

All in all I'm pretty happy with this helmet and at this price I could buy a new one every year for 5 or 6 years before even approaching the price of a higher quality helmet that has LESS features than this one.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 09:49 AM

I have a Nolan N104 and it's very good. As for modulars being louder, I always ride with earplugs. If you wear glasses, modulars are the best way to go. And you can talk with your friends and other people at gas stations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode