Music and Riding - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Music and Riding

What are everyone's thoughts on listening to music while riding? I used to listen to music, but at a fairly low volume. I could still hear everything I need to. Just wondering how everyone else accomodated this.

So, do you listen to music while you ride? If so, do you use bluetooth or something else?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 PM

I listen to music sometimes. Not in town or when I really need to focus, but on long, easy stretches I enjoy some tunes. Sometimes a particular tune really enhances a ride.

I have not found a Bluetooth setup that had truly good sound quality, and don't like having to recharge batteries in a helmet. I prefer a hardwired setup with sound attenuating in-ear speakers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I always listen to music when on the bike. I have a Scala Rider Q2 on the helmet at this time and have a Scala Rider G9 that should show up anyday. Locally i listen to the FM stations pre-set on the unit. On longer rides i have 2 IPod Shuffles each one holds about 200 songs. I just plug it into the MP3 inlet on the Q2 the cord came with the Q2. The Shuffles are suspose to have up to 10 hours of battery for listening to music. But for some reason plugged into the Q2 i only get about 4 hours out of each one. Might get a IPod with bluetooth to connect that way. I only use the headset for GPS and Music. I quit taking calls on the bike.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-24-2013 at 07:20 PM.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Listen to music with my Nolan n104 helmet which has a B4 bluetooth system which I bluetooth to my smart phone to listen to music and its usually older music
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:14 PM

Garage
Joe if you go with Ipod. Get the touch or old gen 3/4 iphone. It allows the charging cable to be plugged in and still function. I plan on getting one mounted below my seat and connected to charger, then running headphone extension to the front of seat.

I have a scosche controlFREQ. cost 50 from scosche web site 80 from amazon. plugs into 30 pin connector on ipod gen 2 thru iphone 4. has volume up/down, play pause , shuffle next and back buttons. I currently put the ipod gen 2 in my jacket inside pocket ( in plastic bag for rain guard) remote is mounted on bracket connected to left mirror. I'll post pic soon.

Ipod gen 2 last about 1.5 hours. so I need more tune life.

http://www.scosche.com/remote-for-ip...port-rf-remote
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 PM

I tried once but my ear buds didn't stay in very well, leading to a lot of wind noise getting through and hurting my hearing. Honestly, I think in most cases I really would just rather have the muffled silence of my earplugs. If I ever get to do a XC ride one of these days, I'll probably invest in something that is better suited for helmet use.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
Joe if you go with Ipod. Get the touch or old gen 3/4 iphone. It allows the charging cable to be plugged in and still function. I plan on getting one mounted below my seat and connected to charger, then running headphone extension to the front of seat.

I have a scosche controlFREQ. cost 50 from scosche web site 80 from amazon. plugs into 30 pin connector on ipod gen 2 thru iphone 4. has volume up/down, play pause , shuffle next and back buttons. I currently put the ipod gen 2 in my jacket inside pocket ( in plastic bag for rain guard) remote is mounted on bracket connected to left mirror. I'll post pic soon.

Ipod gen 2 last about 1.5 hours. so I need more tune life.

http://www.scosche.com/remote-for-ip...port-rf-remote

Correction I have two IPod shuffles. Almost pulled the trigger on a new nano because you can connect through blue tooth. For now the shuffles work fine and i can charge one while using the other.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:55 PM

I have the capability with my Sena SMH10... but choose not to partake. For me it takes something away from the bliss of the ride. For me, it contaminates the purity of why I'm on two wheels. I use the Sena for my GPS and phone operations.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:57 PM

Garage
Here's the bracket I made. I put sticky backed Velcro on it. The remote has Velcro on back so I can remove it when parked. Plus a pic of the Ipod.

For ear buds I made custom fit "shells" for the Sennheiser ear buds I have. They act as ear plugs and kill a lot of outside noise. So much that the one day when I forgot them, I finally heard the dash buzz people talk about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top.jpg (49.1 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg front.jpg (54.9 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg velcro.jpg (59.2 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg ipod.jpg (63.7 KB, 163 views)
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
My GPS has stereo bluetooth output. I listen through my SENA headset. When a turn comes up the GPS pauses the music and provides the directions. I listen at a volume where I would barely know the song if I didn't already know the song.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 PM

I have a Starcom system, sure it has a cord to plug in, but its brilliant. I listen to FM, half volume on the MP3, wear moulded ear plugs and volume is great. I sometimes use my smartphone with gps,fm and take phone calls on auto answer. The vox system works a treat.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:02 AM

I listen to music on very low volume with earbuds that I used http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs-Blue/dp/B003A28OW6to custom mold to my ear.
I can still hear outside noises but wind noise and such are cut way down.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:19 PM

I have a Sena and listen to music most of the time. I always have music in the cage and at my desk too. Helps me focus on what I'm doing.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 04:57 AM

I HAVEto listen to music when I ride otherwise I start talking to myself and I've found i'm a very boring person to talk too!!!!!
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 07:22 AM

I use the iPhone with the Scala Rider G9, the quality of the speakers is good unless the speed is to high and the wind noise covers any other sound.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murquiza View Post
I use the iPhone with the Scala Rider G9, the quality of the speakers is good unless the speed is to high and the wind noise covers any other sound.

Try foam ear plugs. It blocks the wind noise and lets the music through if the volume can go loud enough.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murquiza View Post

Sounds like you got a noisy helmet. I just switched over to a G9 from a Q2 and the G9 speakers are better than the Q2 and the Q2's are real good.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:38 AM

Music

I live in the country and do VERY LITTLE high speed riding. Mostly back road 35-50 mph. I have installed an amp and speakers for low speed riding and when I plan to travel fast on a ride I change plugs and listen with speakers installed in my helmet. Bike is wired for Ipod and XM radio
Helmet speakers... I have tried many "helmet speakers" and find then to be lacking in good sound. I now purchase a set of headphone and rip them apart and install them in my helmet. I also have tried ear buds but my ears start to sweat. I now use ear buds the slip over my ears and not in my ears.

Cb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 359.JPG (160.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 362.JPG (163.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 366.JPG (143.6 KB, 96 views)
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Ordered me some of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009A5204K/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They're amazing!
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Music while riding...?

Me, singing (off-key, I'm sure).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode