aerostitch one piece suit?

anyone own one? Thoughts?

SPARTAN
"If you gon' be ignorant, you better be tough."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I looked pretty hard at these. Without experience with a one-piece suit, I was afraid of the investment. I went with an Olympia Avenger to try first before committing to the Aerostich.

It just arrived, so no rides with it yet.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

I've looked at them for years, literally. Its a HUGEi investment and im concerned with "what if I don't like it? " "what if it doesn't fit right? " I'm 6' 250lbs so who in the world would I possibly sell it to? Yet, I yearn....

SPARTAN

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN View Post
I've looked at them for years, literally. Its a HUGEi investment and im concerned with "what if I don't like it? " "what if it doesn't fit right? " I'm 6' 250lbs so who in the world would I possibly sell it to? Yet, I yearn....

yea it would be too small for me.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 02:37 PM

I always thought that they were a great idea until I tried to picture myself trying to do a squat job in the bush on a rainy day. Did not like the picture.

So I stayed with the two piece suit.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 08:19 PM

i can get out of mine rather quickly, but i must say, i've never had to destich under pressure from an impending squat job!

i've been collecting motogear since the mid 90s. i have an Aero Darien 2pc (my second), Fieldsheer mesh 2pc, Ku****ani 1pc leathers, JR leather jacket and the 1pc Roadcrafter. the Roadcrafter is the oldest of the lot, purchased in 96(?), and it's still my favorite piece of kit. not so great for heavy rain days (Darien) or stupid hot days (mesh). otherwise, i prefer it to everything else. i have used for trackdays and trips and commutes and joy rides. it is my default solution and i need a reason to grab something else. ymmv.

i'm looking at getting a new one, mainly because i was more fashion conscious in '96 and my suit is black and red. besides the safety aspect, this is doesn't help comfort on sunny days. i'm gonna go banana yella next time. no hurry though, the black one is in good shape.

ps. Ku****ani is not a dirty word!

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 07-06-2013 at 08:24 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 11:45 AM

I wore a Stich one piece suit for about 8 years until I "outgrew" it.
During those 8 years I was commuting 60 miles round trip to work and doing longer distance weekend rides and trips which the suit was great for except in hot weather. I found the suit to be uncomfortable in hot conditions.

Currently I am a casual rider doing shorter distances and no commuting and prefer wearing a Roadcrafter jacket and Darien pants except in hot weather months when I wear mesh.

If you are commuting any distance, doing longer rides or track days a one piece suit would be something to consider. If not I would rethink a 2 piece combo.

Aerostich makes a quality product with excellent customer support and if you ever need repairs my experience has always been a short turn around time and reasonable charges.

The bottom line is what will work best for your style of riding and what fits your budget.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info. I continue the inner debate. Then I wonder about Olympia's one piece . suit...

SPARTAN
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I am one of the lucky ones and fit into the Olympia Phantom one piece off the rack. Great suit and offers a lot of protection. If I needed a custom size suit I would go with an aerostich roadcrafter. That said the roadcrafter cost four times what I spent on the Phantom.

Here is a pic of my good side. Heading for a Moonshine burger.

Cagers definitely notice me in this Hi Viz suit.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
...Here is a pic of my good side. Heading for a Moonshine burger.

Cagers definitely notice me in this Hi Viz suit.
WHATINHELL happened to your helmet...? It turned green and shrank... !

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 07:40 PM

Garage
I know a lot of "Stich" fans and I have spent quite a bit of money there myself.

I believe the general consensus is that the 1 piece is great for the commuter who wants to get in and out quick. It is faster to put on a one piece suit than it is the two separate pieces.

On the other hand, if you are more of a touring rider, then I think there is more flexibility in a two piece option.

I have a Darien Jacket and then AD1 Pants and the Protekt Jeans.

I always wear the jacket and with a combination of t-shirt, sweatshirt or fleece under it, the jacket serves a very wide temp range. I usually put my Protekt jeans under my AD1's and then have the option to remove the outer layer when it warms up.

Their gear is VERY well made and the option to get the correct custom fit is priceless.

What combination will work best for you really depends on how you see yourself using it.

Mitch

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 07-07-2013 at 08:15 PM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

the olympia suit looks great. Somehow I doubt I'll be lucky enough to fit into suit off the rack. Im built like paul blart

SPARTAN
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

btw-I really appreciate your responses and opinions greatly.

SPARTAN
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 09:28 PM

I have a few observations:
The Roadcrafter at one time appeared to be the safest textile gear on the market. I don't think that is true anymore (especially w.r.t. armor), but I think their fabric and construction are among the best. Much better than most textile gear.

I would choose CE rated gear in a heartbeat over a 'stich, but I'm not aware of a CE rated commute suite, and we don't get much CE rated gear in the US anyway.

They had suggested a specific size 'stich for me, but when they setup temporary shop in San Francisco I tried it on (over clothes, the way I'd wear a commute suit) and it was too small. They did not measure me and the suit in the next likely size was being tried by someone else, so I don't know if I fit in any of their 1-piece suits, I only know I don't fit in the one they recommended.

Putting the suit on wasn't as quick and easy as I expected, but people say if becomes very quick when you're used to it.

The cuffs did not seem like they'd be easy to get over my glove gaunlets, which is how I'd want them in the rain.

I do not think their "light" gear is made of stout enough fabric for motorcycle gear.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

right now im currently using:
Summer riding: agv solare? mesh and agv kevlar cargo pants. I was somewhat disappointed in the jacket. The zipper is cheap and feels like it will come apart on impact. It also arrived without the back pad. The cargo pants are great.
Other 3 seasons:
Tourmaster 3/4 jacket and pants. Honestly, I liked my Joe Rocket Atomic set I had in 2005 bbetter. The JoeR set just seemed to be a better quality

SPARTAN
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
...The cuffs did not seem like they'd be easy to get over my glove gaunlets, which is how I'd want them in the rain....
Wouldn't you want your gauntlets OVER the cuffs so rain doesn't seep in?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 01:33 PM
djg

I have a one piece bought used on ebay, 48L. I am 6'3", 200 lbs. Perfect fit. It is very well tailored, better than my Motoport gear, but not as substantial. The knee, forearm and shoulder areas are very well protected, the suit is very well thought out. It is very easy to don and doff. I use it as it was originally designed, commuting. It is too hot for really hot weather. The main zipper is known to leak if water pools in your seat/crotch area. Ventilation is minimal, a back vent and little underarm vents. My Held Profi long gauntlet gloves fit over the sleeves fine, my Sidi Adventure boots fit underneath the legs fine. I like it and wear it a lot. Easiest and most convenient thing for riding to work.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Wouldn't you want your gauntlets OVER the cuffs so rain doesn't seep in?
If your hands are lower than your elbows the water will run down your sleeve into the gloves.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 PM

more on the gauntlet thing:

more on the glove gauntlet thing:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443161
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode