so what do you look like in your gear - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

so what do you look like in your gear

Hope fully you don't ride like this guy. If only he had on a long sleeve T-shirt instead of that protective tatoo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !cid_537043DD81B5489B947D07FD4[email protected] (122.9 KB, 414 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 01:09 PM

Does anyone know where to get a pair of those motorcycling sneakers? I've been looking for a pair for the summer and all can seem to find are "boots." WFT?
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:01 PM

Talking

You could give these a try...

Couldn't help myself
Attached Images
File Type: jpg myboots.JPG (94.1 KB, 150 views)

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:16 PM

What do I look like in my gear? I wear ATGATT: a high viz yellow Olympia jacket, black overpants, tall boots, gloves, full face helmet.

I've been told I look like a cop, though I'm not sure I go with that.

I've been told I look like a Power Ranger...I think the kid who said so was pretty close.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:20 PM

Olympia Airglide2 in Hi-Vis yellow.

Olympia Airglide black pants.

Scorpion Exo-700 Neon Helmet.

I look like a lightbulb.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 PM

Here I be...Even for a trip to the cigar store (1 mile) ...All Olympia, lid is HJC Symax II
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DaV.JPG (956.2 KB, 336 views)

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 10:03 PM

Gear

Depending on the weather I rotate this jacket with a full leather.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v3.jpg (88.6 KB, 243 views)
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 10:24 PM

Black Leather Jacket
Black Textile Pants (or jeans)
Black Gloves
Black Boots
Black Bike
Silver Helmet

I don't think I have a picture of me in my gear.

07 Versys - Ebony
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 PM

seen a guy in a wife beater, shorts and sandles once....

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E.™ Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecreeper77 View Post
My favorite are the guys with no shirt whatsoever.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 11:41 PM

Like Contractor, if I don't feel like wearing all my gear, I drive. This is on another bike, but the gear is almost the same (jacket and pants may vary, depending on season/weather):

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 12:01 AM

Silver Olympia

I wear locally made Olympia textile gear with a red and black helmet.
It's pretty visible, but I've just about decided that short of driving a tank, getting some of the folks around here to see a biker is a hopeless task. The scariest thing in the world, to me at least, is a soccer mom in a bloated SUV with a cell phone pressed to her ear. Now I'm starting to see a lot of them that are texting as they drive. That comes pretty damned close to insanity.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:33 AM

I wear all the gear that looks what I think is very similar to the protective gear in these pics, but for some reason I notice that many people stare at me when I'm walking through a store or wherever. Then again, people aren't used to seeing such wear, or, maybe I don't realize just how ugly I am.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeWNC View Post

I wear locally made Olympia textile gear

Just curious, which Olympia gear is made local to western NC? I've seen only Made in China on all the Olympia gear I've tried on or owned.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:11 AM

Not Certain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Just curious, which Olympia gear is made local to western NC? I've seen only Made in China on all the Olympia gear I've tried on or owned.
Like most stuff, it seems, it's possible that the gear is only distributed from here, but they're based at
Olympia Moto Sports
824 Locust St Suite 100
Hendersonville, North Carolina 28792.

I've met the owners at one of the local motorcycle shops and they're both enthusiastic riders themselves that take the gear seriously.

Having said that, I'm probably going to switch to leather for the cooler months. Cordura is better than cotton, much much better, but I've had close calls on ice or sand that was put down on ice a couple of times this year. I figure that leather will give me that little bit of extra slide protection. In warm weather, I'll stick to the textile gear. I just wish that I'd bought the 3/4 length jacket.

When I was riding the Snake (Hwy. 421) last year, I noticed that the Shady Valley Store had a great selection of used leather gear for sale at a price that was hard to pass up. If I'd had storage room on the Ninja, I'd have leather gear now.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:24 AM

Carry the helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
I wear all the gear that looks what I think is very similar to the protective gear in these pics, but for some reason I notice that many people stare at me when I'm walking through a store or wherever. Then again, people aren't used to seeing such wear, or, maybe I don't realize just how ugly I am.
I have gotten into the habit of always carrying my helmet when I go into a store or restaurant. It's amusing to see the difference in how you're perceived, especially in rural areas where bikes aren't that common. There are so many bikes around here though, that nobody gives the gear a second look. I've had a few people look at me when the temps climbed to over 90 like I'm nuts, shaking their head as they walked by. I'd rather sweat than bleed though, so I suffer the heat and the strange looks.
In 2006, I rode the Hilly Hellacious, a local bicycle century ride with over 10,000 feet of climbing. I spent so much time training that I stopped paying attention to the looks that I'd get when I'd clump into a rural store to get more water and a snack. I was standing in a line at a country store near Burnsville one hot summer day, when I noticed the clerk looking at me like I had a snake wrapped around my neck. She finally started laughing and told me that she was watching the bugs fly away. I had been sweating heavily as I made the climb up the mountain to where the store was and a lot of gnats had gotten 'stuck' in the sweat. As I stood in line in the air conditioned store, the sweat dried and the gnats started flying away. Since then, I make it a point to check my reflection in a window before going inside.
Have you ever been buzzing along at high speed and noticed a wasp crawling across the inside of your visor? The first time that happened to me I nearly crashed trying to get stopped.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecreeper77 View Post
I have Two helmets I wear (not at the same time) - Shark RSI, and Scorpion EXO 400
Coats - Tourmaster Transition 2 or Joe Rocket Phoenix 2, depending on weather.
Pants - Joe Rocket Phoenix
Boots - High top leather work (not motorcycle specific)
Gloves - motorcycle specific leather/mesh

I want to get some motorcycle specific boots as I can afford.

I live in Southern Utah and down here it's the exception to see people wearing protective gear. I always wear all mine, all the time, and I get weird looks from many people. Most bikes seen on local roads are Harleys and various metric cruisers. The "uniform" for 90% of these riders is shorts, "wife beater" (or halter top), flip flops and no helmet. The accidents are common, and the injuries are severe.

I'll post a pic of me in my gear when somebody is around to take one.

regards, Bob

Last edited by RPrice; 04-22-2009 at 10:06 AM.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:22 AM

Full coverage helmet, gloves and textile style jacket....Now that warm weather is coming, I wear shorts every day and need some over pants. Something to slip on and off easily. I have looked at the Scorpion Deuce, is there something better out there I should look at? Leather chaps might work, but probably to hot.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 AM

ATGATT (varies with climate.)

Sans riding pants (I don't do this very often.)

Last edited by MackDaddy; 04-22-2009 at 10:34 AM.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudduck View Post
Full coverage helmet, gloves and textile style jacket....Now that warm weather is coming, I wear shorts every day and need some over pants. Something to slip on and off easily. I have looked at the Scorpion Deuce, is there something better out there I should look at? Leather chaps might work, but probably to hot.
Where I live it gets real hot in the summer. Joe Rocket Phoenix overpants are pretty good textile pants with knee and hip pads. The air just flows through them!! You could wear your shorts underneath. You might look into these.

regards, Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode