Coolmax/dryWear as a base layer - I'm a convert - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Coolmax/dryWear as a base layer - I'm a convert

Before I left for a recent 4 day trip to the Adirondacks I purchased a dryWear (CoolMax clone) long sleeve T shirt to use with my light weight, synthetic running shorts as a base layer under my gear (vented four season type jacket and pants). The stuff is vastly superior to a cotton T and cotton underwear I would typically wear under my gear for touring. When your sweating it pulls the moisture away from your skin, so you don't feel damp and clammy. It allows the moisture to still evaporate and cool though. Also if you decide to take a break and remove your gear your still presentable enough to be out in public. The shorts also make an interesting fashion statement when accessorized with riding boots . The runners shorts also double as swim shorts if you are touring. I rode through a few heavy rain showers (without the water proof liners installed - doh!) and highs of 34C. While I got soaked in the rain, the stuff kept me comfortable and started to dry almost immediately when the rain stopped. Also more cool than cotton in the heat under my gear. Recommend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1 I became a convert years ago due to running and mountain biking in winter. Rinse out, fast dry and repeat. Well worth the 'investment'.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 06:34 PM

Garage
@ twowheels, as per your earlier advice on this subject, I picked up some shorts and shirts last weekend to use for the Nova Scotia ride. Seems like a really good idea!

Always trust your cape.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 08:29 PM

Garage
Made me buy a shirt and shorts to try out, the heat and humidity is getting to me

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 12:50 AM

+1

Been wearing base layers for about 2 years instead of the usual sports synthetic nylon shirt after noticing friend wearing those under their leather race suits. If those made getting in and out leathers much easier i figured it'd do the same on other textile riding gears.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode